Black vs. BWF Replacements

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I know a few operators who prefer white face females for fertility and disposition, but they seem to be in the minority here.

Do you see a discount in your area when bwf replacements or cows are sold, and if so, how much? :cboy:

They usually bring about the same around here, maybe just a little less but not much. They do appear harder to find but they do sell well. Personally, I'd rather have the black faces and put the white face on the calves.

Stocker Steve":1h087qtk said:
I know a few operators who prefer white face females for fertility and disposition, but they seem to be in the minority here.

Do you see a discount in your area when bwf replacements or cows are sold, and if so, how much? :cboy:

No not here. In fact I have a customer whos F1 bwf heifers outsell their all black contemporaries by $30 to $50. I know of guys who sell bred heifers every year. The easiest thing to sell is a bwf bred heifer.

Brian

Go to the American Hereford Association website www.hereford.org and look at the article on the BW Face Momma Cow. A lot of data has been collected by top ANGUS breeders using Hereford bulls and the economic advantages to this cross. Very Impressive!!!
L Day (DFF)

I have two different semen reps that have standing orders for pot loads of BWF heifers to go into Nebraska and South Dakota. They tell me raise them and we will sell them for you. I am still trying to get my numbers up on the commercial side. Someday I will have what they want.

Jeff

The Baldies always go first for us. Sometimes we even have to sell some blacks as bred heifers, never has happened with the baldies.

Latest posts