Black Texas Longhorn Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

TxStateCowboy

Reaction score
Mrpet.jpg

This is Mr. Pet, pure Yates bull, CTLR Registered.

I've raised a few of his heifers and bullcalves, and have been very impressed with the conformity and solidness of the Yates bloodlines.

How do ya'll like him?

He looks okay. Doesn't really stand out to me or catch my eye, like I want my bulls to do. He does have a nice straight topline which I like. I don't like how fine-boned he is, and he looks small.

How old is he? Do you know how much he weighs?

Ryan

Nice looking Yates Bull. Yates Longhorns are one of the "original" 7 families. They are not supposed to look like "beefy" filled out show animals. The CTLR registry requires special inspections and tests to be included in their registry as "purebred" longhorn lineages.

The "fatter" Longhorns have been significantly out-crossed among the different families, usually stressing body rather than horn length.

He looks alright, I'd like to see a little more horn on him myself but I do like the Yates line. The thing I do like about him is that he looks like a Longhorn, not a Longhorn composite. Does he throw any black in his calves?

He throws black calves sometimes, and also brindle. It is pot luck with him as his black color isn't dominant.

The last Bull I raised out of him was a brown paint and later became a brindle w/paint, real nice lookin'.

This is a picture of him on another breeder's ranch during the draught. He has filled up quite well since then.

He is 5 years old.

I don't descriminate much for horn size, just overall correctness. His forward swoop is more desirable to me (and breed-correct) than outward shooting spikes as commonly seen in the Trails magazine.

I raise longhorns for sturdyness, toughness, and longevity for our South Texas ranches where they go to work. I never have to treat them medically, and never need to assist a cow. It is a lean operation- pun intended!

The efficiency (grass needed to sustain health) is what I really love about these cattle- They eat next to nothing.

As for business sense: given proper marketing (to ropers, S. Tx ranchers, etc. or even good times of year for salebarn) the comparative profit margins are better.

I'm also looking towards that Longhorn Cooperative mentioned on another thread.

Latest posts