Black Simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
At the lectures held this weekend, one of the participants asked Dr Larry Cundiff (MARC) "isn't black Simmentals mostly Angus?? He smiled and said, "Well there are a lot of black Simmentals out there because of the crossbreeding going on, since the beginning of the breed - up to a new resurgence of crossing the two breeds now. Actually, the Angus could have about as much influx of other genes as the Simm." :shock:
He explained that the Angus, being Homozygous black & Homozygous polled, could easily have "accidents" without anyone knowing the difference, and that there was a lot of that in the development stages of the breed. And, he felt that there were more than accidents happening.
He said that if the Simm were not a true breed, than all the research between Continentals & British wouldn't have as much differences, IF the Sm was more Angus influenced.
In research on Heterosis & Carcass - if the cow is 50% Cont & 50% British, that was the "ultimate" results. Once they were bred back to be 25% British & 75% Continental, you lost some of your heterosis & the carcasses became leaner with less marbing. And if they were 75% British & 25% Continental than you lost some heterosis & the carcasses had more YG4 with more marbling.
Another participant ask Dr John Pollak, Cornell "Aren't black Simmental just F1 cattle? He said, "no the majority of black Simmentals have a minimum of 92% Sm genes, although there are a lot of F1 registered Simmentals that are 1/2 bloods".

Jeanne,
Have you ever poked a snake with a stick? or stirred up an ant bed?

Beefy":3t5i9u1l said:
Jeanne,
Have you ever poked a snake with a stick? or stirred up an ant bed?
:D Weellll - the devil made me do it. I couldn't resist. It was great. There were probably 100 people in the audiance, and most of the questions - positive & negative were about Simmental. I figure we must be doing something right if they're talking about us. :D :D