black simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

It's an attempt to cash in on the value Angus cattle have. Some still think in terms that Angus are the only black cattle, and Angus have a tremendous reputation for beef quality, thus a demand for Angus beef. Other breeds have used Angus genetics to get black, but they are still not Angus.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> i have seen simmentals that look
> like angus. what is this all
> about.

Classic, can't judge a book by it's cover. They do look more like Angus They just don't hang like them!

[email protected]

> we have made the general public and small cattle producers think if a cow aint black it aint worth as much, unfortunatly alot of cattle are being bought and sold around auctions sales just because they are black , and are not even close to being angus. so it is a sale tactic. the truth is when they hide is off you or the public dont have any clue what color that cow was!!

It's an attempt to cash in on the
> value Angus cattle have. Some
> still think in terms that Angus
> are the only black cattle, and
> Angus have a tremendous reputation
> for beef quality, thus a demand
> for Angus beef. Other breeds have
> used Angus genetics to get black,
> but they are still not Angus.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

High percentage exotic cattle, even if they are black will not grade high percentage AAA. I have fed Angus side by side with Simmentals and the Angus graded while the Simmentals didn't.

Talk with a packer that knows one breed of cattle from another. They tell you the biggest reason for cattle not grading is a lack of marbling. Talk to one who thinks all blacks are Angus ( I met one) and they think Angus don't marble any better than anything else. Source the cattle and get the real info. On the cattle I fed 1/4 Angus was enough to put some marbling in the exotics.

[email protected]

I will agree that having a little Angus blood sure doesn't hurt when it comes to feeding out cattle. However, there are some many other positive factors that the Simmental breed offers that many producers using strictly british breeds are missing, such as extra performance, great dispositions, milk and maternal ability. From our experience, a 1/2 Simmental or 3/4 Simmental, with the balance being Angus, may be the best cow out there.

[email protected]

I don't think there is a better commercial cow or feedlot calf than a simmental x angus. The Simmental breed assn. has been doing a lot of carcass evaluations. They have contracted purebred Angus herds to allow them to breed a portion of their virgin heifers to Simmental bulls. They provide university students at calving to calve out all the heifers (straight angus bred & simmental sired). Then they take ALL the crossbreds - heifers & steers - & the straight angust steers & also purebred simmies & feed them out. Yes, the straight Angus steers grade SLIGHTLY better than the crossbred & purebreds, but the total carcass value has been greater for the Simmental. They will be publizising the results in ads soon. PS - there was very little (if any) difference in ce between straigh breds & crosses) Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>

> I will agree that having a little
> Angus blood sure doesn't hurt when
> it comes to feeding out cattle.
> However, there are some many other
> positive factors that the
> Simmental breed offers that many
> producers using strictly british
> breeds are missing, such as extra
> performance, great dispositions,
> milk and maternal ability. From
> our experience, a 1/2 Simmental or
> 3/4 Simmental, with the balance
> being Angus, may be the best cow
> out there.

[email protected]

Jason, a couple of years back our simmental association used an ad in which a pen of Gordan Turners straight bred simmentals, I believe about 60 head were slaughterd at Cargill. Of this load 97% graded AAA. So don't give me this bunk that Angus are the only cattle that can grade

[email protected]

One pen, one time. Repeat it every day from every feedlot, then tell me about it. I just talked to a buyer from Cargill, and he confirmed Simmentals were tough to get to grade. He said almost every branded beef program was based on some Angus genetics. Don't ignore the facts because one pen did an unusual thing. Maybe the Simmental breeders should have investigated the genetics that allowed that pen of cattle to grade. They could have been valuable to the breed.

[email protected]

> Jason, the man runs a few hundred head and fattens several hundred. It wasn't like they could walk into the pen and pick out the ones that they thought would grade AAA. They picked the ones that were ready and sent them. Do you think Cargill's sterling silver program only uses angus cattle?

[email protected]

I'm not disputing it happened, just that it isn't very common. Likely feedlot protocol had a lot to do with his success. Very early weaning and high grain rations on Simmentals over a long feeding period will result in better finish, but not all ranchers are set up to do that.

Cargill's Sterling Silver program will use any breed of cattle that matches the specifications, but the buyer told me the majority are Angus based that qualify.

[email protected]

>I think its alot more common than you might think jason. These cattle do feed different thant smaller cattle such as angus and hereford meaning you don't have to background them. They will just go straight onto a finishing ration as fast as you can get them there. Thus some inexperienced feeders may have a problem with them. However they will grade and they usually yield better than angus

[email protected]

I have also done the same and it was the other way around!! Lindsey Ives, Riverside Simmentals
> High percentage exotic cattle,
> even if they are black will not
> grade high percentage AAA. I have
> fed Angus side by side with
> Simmentals and the Angus graded
> while the Simmentals didn't.

> Talk with a packer that knows one
> breed of cattle from another. They
> tell you the biggest reason for
> cattle not grading is a lack of
> marbling. Talk to one who thinks
> all blacks are Angus ( I met one)
> and they think Angus don't marble
> any better than anything else.
> Source the cattle and get the real
> info. On the cattle I fed 1/4
> Angus was enough to put some
> marbling in the exotics.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

a post from 2002

I will agree that having a little Angus blood sure doesn't hurt when it comes to feeding out cattle. However, there are some many other positive factors that the Simmental breed offers that many producers using strictly british breeds are missing, such as extra performance, great dispositions, milk and maternal ability. From our experience, a 1/2 Simmental or 3/4 Simmental, with the balance being Angus, may be the best cow out there.

[email protected]

Enough said

Don't know why this topic was resurrected - but, the modern AMERICAN Simmental breed has come a long way in the eyes of the feedlots. Straight Simmental steers DO GRADE. The Simmental x Angus feeder is now a hot item with the feedlots. JBS Swift has agreed to a marketing grid with "historic rewards" for Choice, YG 2 carcasses - 70:70.
Angus are definately the best marbling breed (by research) but, Simmental (being the highest grading Continental breed) crossed on Angus will grade AND lower the YG down to 1's & 2's - which is a great cross.
And the SimmAngus cow is a "super cow"! :D

Latest posts