black simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Is this a good breed for beef production? What does it dress out? What is the meat quality?

I have the opportunity to buy a black simmental and raise if for beef for my family, but am not sure if I should. I'm just curious to know the breed characteristics and whether this breed, or another, would be the best choice.

Any help?

Thanks,

Richard - Utah

[email protected]

> Is this a good breed for beef
> production? What does it dress
> out? What is the meat quality?

> I have the opportunity to buy a
> black simmental and raise if for
> beef for my family, but am not
> sure if I should. I'm just curious

> to know the breed characteristics
> and whether this breed, or
> another, would be the best choice.

> Any help?

> Thanks,

> Richard - Utah

You could do alot better and alot worse. Simies grow fast and big. Usually take a longer time to finish than say an English breed would. My experience is that their meat is ok just leaner and takes longer to fatten. The cuts are going to be large. Or you may can get a smaller framed one. In my opinion a black baldie would be a better choice to eat. But I would eat any that fit this make up. At least 1/2 english, no more than 1/2 continental. and no more than 1/4 Brahman.

[email protected]

I am a novice to this, so am not very familiar with breeds. When you mention english, continental and brahman, I am not exactly sure what you are talking about.

Can you, or anyone else, point me to an internet site that explains a lot of the basics of raising a beef? I'm raising only one or two, to feed my family, but would like to be a little more informed.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Richard - Utah

> You could do alot better and alot
> worse. Simies grow fast and big.
> Usually take a longer time to
> finish than say an English breed
> would. My experience is that their
> meat is ok just leaner and takes
> longer to fatten. The cuts are
> going to be large. Or you may can
> get a smaller framed one. In my
> opinion a black baldie would be a
> better choice to eat. But I would
> eat any that fit this make up. At
> least 1/2 english, no more than
> 1/2 continental. and no more than
> 1/4 Brahman.

[email protected]

<A HREF="http://www.ansi.okstate.edu" TARGET="_blank">www.ansi.okstate.edu</A>

the links on the right hand side of this page should be helpful, especially the breeds link and the production link

> Is this a good breed for beef
> production? What does it dress
> out? What is the meat quality?

I have a neighbor that runs fullblooded simmentals and has really good luck with them by selling them on the rail. They are larger breed in general, but when crossed, especially with angus, produce fast growing calves with excellent meat. We butchered a simmental for ourselves and wouldn't have any problem doing it again. I wouldn't have any second thoughts about buying a black simmental.

[email protected]

Thanks for the great responses, information and direction to web pages. I ended up buying the black semmintal, and am going to breed her with an angus.

[email protected]

> As a purebred Simmental breeder I would like to correct some errors in the previous thread of information. Purebred Simmental breeders and the ASA have taken great effort, research and selective breeding to reduce Simmental cattle frame sizes, mostly in part, so that equal comparison studies can be made when comparing our Simmies to that of other breeds, i.e. Angus, Maine Anjou, Hereford, etc. Progressive Simmental breeders are currently able to piggy back on the CAB (certified Angus beef) program as a result. We would not be able to do so if we had big framed cattle!! The numbers don't lie, Simmental cattle are gaining in popularity by leaps and bounds thanks to these initiatives.

[email protected]

Latest posts