Black Simmental x Black Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This is our 4th year with this cross and and I couldn't be happier. We have raised Traditional Simmental x H. Hereford cows for years but we weren't capturing all the profit we could out of our herd. These blacks are efficient, easy doing, and all around great cows from what I have seen so far.

Spring2012019-1.jpg

First Calving Heifer. Blk Simmental x H.Hereford

Spring2012009-1.jpg

H. Hereford x Blk Simmental ( Her dam is the next cow )

Spring2012040-1.jpg

First black cow on the farm. She is now 12 years old. She never fit into the herd until the last 4 years.

Heifers1.jpg

Heifers5.jpg

Heifers4.jpg

Couple pictures of the replacement heifers back on March 10th.

MayPictures044-1.jpg

MayPictures026-1.jpg

Couple pictures of the replacement heifers at turnout on May 19th.

Spring2012026-1.jpg

Another First Calver. Blk Angus x H. Hereford/Simmental

Spring2012033-1.jpg

Blk Simmental heifer calf off of a H. Hereford 4 year old cow.

Spring2012035-1.jpg

Blk Angus bull calf off of a Traditional Simmental x H. Hereford 12 year old cow.

Spring2012015-2.jpg

Blk Simmental bull calf off of a H. Hereford x Simmental 7 year old cow.

PicturesJune2012015-1-1.jpg

New yearling Blk Simmental sire we purchased back in March out at work in early June.

PicturesJune2012031-1-1.jpg

Straight Blk Angus 3 year old with her Blk Simmental calf.

Hope you all enjoy.

Our first Blk Simmental was a GFI Magnum son from Skor Simmentals and the yearling is a Wheatland Bull 680S son from Erixons. 2 of our 4 Blk Angus bulls come from a great little herd just 20 minutes from us. One is a Stevenson Moneymaker son and the other is a SAV Net Worth son. We have daughters in production from the GFI Magnum son ( first picture ) and the Moneymaker son ( ninth picture ) and they all have nice teat size, ample milk, and are just about the right size. They should mature in the 1250 to 1400 lb range.

ALACOWMAN":1g1elu3z said:
KNERSIE":1g1elu3z said:
Tell me the first three weren't sired by the same bull?
looks like the second and third might have been cause of moma....??

I obviously didn't read the captions well enough. Now I'd like to see that H Hereford bull.

I prefer the phenotype of the Angus cattle you have. That b simm bull's genotype is heavily Angus as well. You cannot get that heavily influenced phenotype w/o the genotype as well. Look at the heads on those replacement heifers - Angus. They can be recorded in any herd book they so choose but the characteristics are that of Angus. I really like that bottom cow w/ the black bull calf.

Massey135":pjk1hhji said:
I prefer the phenotype of the Angus cattle you have. That b simm bull's genotype is heavily Angus as well. You cannot get that heavily influenced phenotype w/o the genotype as well. Look at the heads on those replacement heifers - Angus. They can be recorded in any herd book they so choose but the characteristics are that of Angus. I really like that bottom cow w/ the black bull calf.

I appreciate your comments but you would be a little wrong on some. The heifers yes, they are almost all Angus sired out of Traditional Simmental x H. Hereford dams. The Black Simmental bull is not however, very heavily influenced by Angus. His dam is actually a black 1/2 Fleckvieh cow. Her Sire is a Traditional Full Fleckvieh Fullblood bull. Now I know, like everybody else, that there is some Angus in the Black Simmental's. This does not mean that they are all heavily Angus influenced. His sires breeding goes back a long ways as purebred Simmental.

I like the last cow as well. We have about 1/4 black hided cattle now in the herd as we only started this venture about 4 years ago, however, it has turned out better than I have ever expected. By this venture, I mean the blacks. Been raising cattle for generations on the ranch.

I am very fond of the black color with what I call a white star. Those replacement heifers are sweet. I like your cattle, they strike a chord in my heart as much as they do in my brain!

Latest posts