Black=North...Red=South

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a color preferance division between the north and south?? [with a few notable execptions, 2 guru's]
It seems to me that most folks down south prefer red cattle. And most folks in the north prefer black??
Ideas?

Hillbilly

Buyers like em black ranchers like em low maintainence, I like em crossed. Tarantaise X Angus, put em on a plate and they slice just as good, certified good tasting beef.

I was just thinkin maybe heat had somthing to do with it?
You naturally like what does best for you.
Does Delagarza have many black cattle?
Most of the cattle I've seen come out of the Dakotas are black.
Maybe just coincidence.

Hillbilly

I still prefer the F-1 tigers and Brahmans for the heat. The hit at the salebarn just a little hard to take. Herefords do tend to be lower maintenance as well as brangus in my area. Hope this doesn't get that kid all fired up again.

That defiantely seems true with Simmental cattle! Here in central Texas, while the black hided cattle sell better, they will spend way more time standing in the stock tank than the reds.

Without figuring Brahman into the equation, I prefer a red cow bred to a homozygous black bull for a black calf that will market well.

Around here, you generally see more red momma cows with a black bull on them than vice versa. I prefer Herefords for my main herd and then occasionally an Angus bull if I feel like selling the whole lot of F1s that year. However, I am now building up a herd and want only red cattle. I have Brangus, BeefMaster, Simmental and Holstein blood in my predominantly Hereford herd. I may get an Black Angus bull in about 6 years, but for now, I am sticking to Polled Hereford bulls.

Thermodynamic theory suggests reds would suffer less heat stress in the south and more cold stress in the north as compared to blacks. I also have the same observation as bull lady. That is, my blacks spend way more time in the ponds during the summer than my reds here in Tx which seems to support the thermodynamic aspect.

Doug

Anonymous":1ac1wiif said:
Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a color preferance division between the north and south?? [with a few notable execptions, 2 guru's]
It seems to me that most folks down south prefer red cattle. And most folks in the north prefer black??
Ideas?

Hillbilly

It is interesting that you say that. I lived and ranched in the south and now I live and ranch in north. The black calf is still bringing the most return in both the north and south. Cross breeding is done much more in the south than in the north where most stright breed. In a streight breed program Angus and black Limo are the breeds of choice in the north.

Very interesting but I found that in the east Angus rules the roost but in the west Hereford does. Like at our beef show we never get anything just becuase we raise herefords all the other calves are balck but if we were to show out West it would be a different story.
Ellie May

Anonymous":2n6uq18b said:
Ideas?

Hillbilly
i prefer black and white down here in alabama

Latest posts