Black Mouth Cur Not Living Up To It’s Name

Help Support CattleToday:

ncmccull

Reaction score
We got a black mouth Cur puppy a year ago, and unfortunately he hasn't shown much guard instinct, just hunting. He's killed some of our cats and chickens and is attaching more to our other dogs than our kids. My question is, will his guard instincts kick in after he hits 2 and matures or would he have shown those instincts already?

I have a 4 year old male and he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He can be jumped on by a dog and won't even growl or fight back. B&G

We have a four year old that will eat people, but likes cats, and a 10 year old that kills everything he sees and likes people. I only bought the younger dog to look after my little girl, and she does the job, but she wasn't too growly until she was a couple years old.

Farm Fence Solutions":3cre6ujz said:
We have a four year old that will eat people, but likes cats, and a 10 year old that kills everything he sees and likes people. I only bought the younger dog to look after my little girl, and she does the job, but she wasn't too growly until she was a couple years old.

Did your younger one show any interest in protecting your little girl before she hit a few years old?

ncmccull":r7795m8r said:
Farm Fence Solutions":r7795m8r said:

Did your younger one show any interest in protecting your little girl before she hit a few years old?

They were buddies from the start, but she didn't get really protective until she was two or so.

i had one and he was very protective of me. i got him when he was like 2 though.

I've never heard of BMC being pushed as guard dogs for kids. In fact the opposite... you have to watch them around kids because they will bay them up and can be a little dangerous if the dog is not use to being around a lot of kids.

You want some thing to protect your kids get an American Bulldog. They will die for their owners and never blink twice.

Brute 23":jiy8ysc8 said:
I've never heard of BMC being pushed as guard dogs for kids. In fact the opposite... you have to watch them around kids because they will bay them up and can be a little dangerous if the dog is not use to being around a lot of kids.

You want some thing to protect your kids get an American Bulldog. They will die for their owners and never blink twice.

Airedale is about as tough as they come and is very protective of the family.

Caustic Burno":36h9ywkp said:
Brute 23":36h9ywkp said:

Airedale is about as tough as they come and is very protective of the family.

The problem with a lot of the breeds that are protective is they have no sense of when to protect and when to chill. Once they get protective they are dangerous to guests. Bulldogs are well know for their sixth sense of when to protect and when to sit back.

Brute 23":2wtsfnfw said:

You are dead wrong on the first part, and spot on in the next. F1 cross is a bad sum biotch that loves kids and eats pigs. Toss a little redbone in if you want them to track and bay a little harder. Dogs that eat kids, well, eat kids. Dogs that live past their first birthday around here will eat anyone that doesn't like kids. Why erbody gotta make it so hard? :lol2:

Farm Fence Solutions":1q0c4p54 said:
Brute 23":1q0c4p54 said:

You are dead wrong on the first part, and spot on in the next. F1 cross is a bad sum biotch that loves kids and eats pigs. Toss a little redbone in if you want them to track and bay a little harder. Dogs that eat kids, well, eat kids. Dogs that live past their first birthday around here will eat anyone that doesn't like kids. Why erbody gotta make it so hard? :lol2:

Not sure what is wrong about the first part. Its a fact. Its in those dogs blood to bay things up. There is no doubt about that. It happens all the time.

The worse is people love to buy these beautiful Catahuola pups then the pup gets 8, 10, 12 months or so and some size on them and all the sudden its not funny any more when they bay you up. They think the dogs is being aggressive plus its killing every cat, squirrel and varmint in sight so they try to get rid of it. They don't realize that is what the dog has been bred to do for generations. Most of these people don't understand how to raise a working dog breed.

Brute 23":mry5x2h0 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":mry5x2h0 said:
Brute 23":mry5x2h0 said:

Not sure what is wrong about the first part. Its a fact. Its in those dogs blood to bay things up. There is no doubt about that. It happens all the time.

The worse is people love to buy these beautiful Catahuola pups then the pup gets 8, 10, 12 months or so and some size on them and all the sudden its not funny any more when they bay you up. They think the dogs is being aggressive plus its killing every cat, squirrel and varmint in sight so they try to get rid of it. They don't realize that is what the dog has been bred to do for generations. Most of these people don't understand how to raise a working dog breed.

Dad had BMC all his life for tending grandmas hogs in the woods to squirrel and coon hunting.
His best was probably ole Dave he would bay us kids up in a heartbeat.
It was him having fun never seen him aggressive to any person. If it had fins, fur or feathers ole Dave would kill it.
He had an Airedale as well that was a good hog dog as well as protective never seen anything tougher.
But in fairness the hogs of my youth are not near as rank as these today with
Russian boar in them.

The best guard dog is the Brazilian Fila unless you can go back 35 years to get a Doberman.

Latest posts