Black Longhorn bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9

Reaction score
BTHeinekenDark.jpg

It's been a while since I posted a photo of one of my Longhorns so here goes. Some might like him, most probably won't but anyway here he is. A little change of scenery anyway.

Might be a tad long, and he is standing narrow in the rear, otherwise I really like the looks of him! :cowboy:

Thanks. He is a long bodied bull, also passes this on to his calves but I think that length is good. Would that not be a desirable trait for more ribe eyes?

Rustler9":29ta6yva said:
BTHeinekenDark.jpg

It's been a while since I posted a photo of one of my Longhorns so here goes. Some might like him, most probably won't but anyway here he is. A little change of scenery anyway.
a welcome change of venue.. good looking bull

I like his style. Looks like a solid bull with good balance, I would just like to see more of him to suit my personal tastes. Do you have an idea of what he weighs?

Ryan

Thanks. We are pleased with his off spring, we use him on alot of Butler influenced cows, has done really well in the horn department with this type of cow. Has produced some nice thick calves from Peeler, King Ranch cows. He is not a big bull, somewhere around 1400 lbs I would say.

Rustler9":h8xeccni said:
Thanks. We are pleased with his off spring...

That's the most important thing. You and I both know that he is not the type that would be best suited for my program. BUT if he works for YOUR program and makes YOU happy, that is what matters.

Ryan

No, we aren't trying to raise show cattle, just sound, functional true to type Longhorn cattle. This breed can go the extreme either way, more horn than the true Longhorn should have and more body as well. Unfortunately, over the years it has been enhanced by infusions of other breeds and we strive to keep the breed true to type. Nothing wrong with selecting for either trait within the breed but.........probably need to stop here before this gets out of hand.

I've always liked the longhorns, though the size of the cloudstabbers would make me a little weary of being close to them, I know we had a neighbors longhorn heifers break into one of our fields, and I was surprised at how docile they were... i had a heck of a time getting them out, they wouldn't follow since they knew there was nothing to eat on the other side of the fence, but i couldn't chase them either, they wouldn't move

I like this guy

Ryan":1sfri8bx said:
Rustler9":1sfri8bx said:
Thanks. We are pleased with his off spring...

That's the most important thing. You and I both know that he is not the type that would be best suited for my program. BUT if he works for YOUR program and makes YOU happy, that is what matters.

Ryan

True, I guess...

Of all the thousands of Longhorns out there, only a small percentage are bred and raised to run through the show ring and sell with those conformations... And, every producers has their own program, goals, for sure.

Nesikep":105a7wj8 said:
I've always liked the longhorns, though the size of the cloudstabbers would make me a little weary of being close to them, I know we had a neighbors longhorn heifers break into one of our fields, and I was surprised at how docile they were... i had a heck of a time getting them out, they wouldn't follow since they knew there was nothing to eat on the other side of the fence, but i couldn't chase them either, they wouldn't move

I like this guy

It's my WAG...lol...but probably 95% or so of Longhorns are docile. Unlike the "commercial" breeds, they don't spook easily (as a rule) like some other species (horses) do...Longhorns, look, size up the situation, weigh the pros and cons, and then take a calculated action...lol.

what's WAG?

the Salers we had were horrible for spooking, mind you they knew everything that was going on around them, and if I saw them all looking one direction, I knew I had to look that way too.. The shorhorns are better and calmer, which is nice

I really like the shape of the head of the longhorns, they look noble

I really like him. Nice horns for an 02 model. You have alot of nice bulls (I pulled up your website).:tiphat:

2barmcattle,
Thanks, we have several more bulls not on the site. I need to do some updating. Maybe I can get caught up over the holidays. I may try to paost some Longhorn pics here too. It's nice to show other breeds on here too.

Heineken is a Whelming King grandson which makes him a King graet grandson on the top side and he is out of a King grand daughter on the bottom side. So he's double bred King. He's about 62" tip to tip, will never be a 70" horned bull but to me it's not all about horn. But, I do want to see an adequate amount of horn, after all, that's part of the breed characteristics. This bull throws some beautiful feminie daughtes with alot of horn. His daughters also milk very well.

LHpics022.jpg

Here's one of his daughters, she's a four year old-has had three calves, so far all heifers. I sold her as a weaned calf and wound up getting her back last year. The fellow let her get bred too early.

She's a nice looking girl.. then again, they look like shorthorns with the roan, which I find is a nice hide to look at.. I wouldn't think twice about a fur jacket that was roan

Latest posts