Black leg disease

Help Support CattleToday:

johnny2names

Reaction score
I live in Nicaragua and lost a 6 month old calf what appeared to be Black leg but in about 45 minutes. She was bloated but she also displayed symptoms of Anthrax. the rest of the herd has had no problems.

Question, they say the virus for this is in the soil for years. How can I get rid of this if it was Black leg and if the soil is contaminated? Anyone out there know anything that might help? Vets and tests are hard to come by. It is like living on the moon with fresh air here !!

John-Marc

as said the only thing you can do is vacc all of your calves for black leg.then in 3wks give them the blackleg booster.yes blackleg gets an stays in the soil for years.vacc an pulling the cows off that pasture for 4 or 5yrs is the only way of getting rid of blackleg.the best is vacc your calves.

bigbull338":1r54qj32 said:
as said the only thing you can do is vacc all of your calves for black leg.then in 3wks give them the blackleg booster.yes blackleg gets an stays in the soil for years.vacc an pulling the cows off that pasture for 4 or 5yrs is the only way of getting rid of blackleg.the best is vacc your calves.
well as long as you vaccinate you can leave em on the pasture.....it could have been buzzard droppin' you can't stop it from being , just protect them from it

I agree with alacattleman, vacines is the only way. Dogs, coyotes, buzzards or whatever you have in your area can carry bones, meat, their droppings into the fields bring the blackleg back. The vets here say it can stay in the soil for 18-20 years.

Black Leg is caused by Clostridium chavoei, primarily affecting cattle under 2 years old. The usual cause is eating contaminated feed. After infection the animal usually dies within 12 to 36 hours. Vaccinate calves at 2 to 4 months and again at weening to give lifelong immunity.

i hate to tell you this but blackleg vaccing calves does not prevent blackleg for the life of the calf.ive personally had a 6yr old milk cow dropp dead from blackleg.an we had to vacc all the milking an dry cows for blackleg.

bigbull338":3rdipsgp said:
i hate to tell you this but blackleg vaccing calves does not prevent blackleg for the life of the calf

Bigbull338 is correct. Blackleg vaccines are inexpensive. Using them isn't rocket science, read the label and follow the instructions. Unless a vet tells you otherwise, use the maufacturer's instructions, don't make crap up. Nothing irks me more than undervaccinated animals - you might as well throw the vaccine in the gutter rather than bother the cow with it if you don't use it according to label. If you don't believe me take an immunology class.

My vet reccommends booster every two years for black leg. I learned this when I lost one of my best cows to blackleg...she was 7 years old.

Latest posts