Black is out, Red & White is in

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
Just purchased two new Hereford bulls today to put them on our commercial Angus cows. One is goggle-eyed and very slick. Another is your typical feathernecked bull. Both can be registered but we are commercial folks... Both are two years old.

I don't know if I should post a pic of these bulls. They're not special or high quality, just average looking bulls. They recovered from a pinkeye so they're good to go. But boy their disposition is completely different from the Angus bulls. Not high headed or snorty. Just super mellow fellows that they even let the horses to smell them, something I never seen in Angus bulls..

Muddy":2l009yql said:
I don't know if I should post a pic of these bulls. They're not special or high quality, just average looking bulls. They recovered from a pinkeye so they're good to go. But boy their disposition is completely different from the Angus bulls. Not high headed or snorty. Just super mellow fellows that they even let the horses to smell them, something I never seen in Angus bulls..

Those dudes are not going to melt when it is time to work.

Davemk":2qz7vhnw said:
Muddy":2qz7vhnw said:

Those dudes are not going to melt when it is time to work.
It'd be hard for the one on the left to melt anymore.

What is it about these bulls that indicated it'd be a good idea to use them?

My experience with Hereford cattle is limited to three very well mannered recip cows with good feet and udders and only a little bit of eye cancer.

So, just curious what charged you up about these two guys.

The reason and only one reason why I am using Hereford bulls on Angus cows is because we want to produce black baldy feeders that the buyers wanted. These bulls belongs to my father's friend that raises both bulls and got a good deal on both. They are not related to each other tho. We will have to wait to see their first calves on ground next spring.

Muddy":38qdctuw said:
The reason and only one reason why I am using Hereford bulls on Angus cows is because we want to produce black baldy feeders that the buyers wanted. These bulls belongs to my father's friend that raises both bulls and got a good deal on both. They are not related to each other tho. We will have to wait to see their first calves on ground next spring.

Muddy that is the main reason we bought a Hereford bull and may buy another one. The feeder buyers pay a premium for them and the Baldie heifers bring more as replacements. Here that cross sells the best.

We have been using Hereford bulls on our cows for a couple years now to get some replacement heifers, most of our cows are Hereford and Hereford cross. I have found that for us a straight Hereford or Hereford with some Brahman influence work real well for us. Then those cows can be bred to pretty much any breed of bull, my preference is an Angus to get the BWF calves. BWF calves are hard to beat here for both a group of steers and replacement heifers.

elkwc":6xgaxqq0 said:
The feeder buyers pay a premium for them and the Baldie heifers bring more as replacements. Here that cross sells the best.

I often see a $100 premium for bwf bred heifers, but I do not see a premium here for bwf feeders. How much $$$ are you seeing for a feeder premium?

Stocker Steve":x1qtcgq4 said:
elkwc":x1qtcgq4 said:
The feeder buyers pay a premium for them and the Baldie heifers bring more as replacements. Here that cross sells the best.

I often see a $100 premium for bwf bred heifers, but I do not see a premium here for bwf feeders. How much $$$ are you seeing for a feeder premium?

It varies anywhere from 2-5 dollars a hundred over the best solid blacks. We see 100-200 on good bred heifers and 3 years ago the owner of a large sale here said you give him a deep soggy Baldie 2-3 y/o pair and he would get you a 300 premium.

Stocker Steve":3ur17we1 said:
I understand why baldie heifers are worth more.
What is the benefit of baldie steers in the feedlot?

Visual hybrid vigor. You still need to start with good genetics.

Muddy":28vjdllh said:

First off while the photo of your 2 bulls is hard to get a good take on them off just 1 photo I've seen a lot of poor bulls advertised on Facebook and Craigslist that should have been steers and those 2 look better than those kind of bulls. They definitely don't look fat and seem to have some good length and depth of rib to them so not knowing much about their bloodlines or background they probably will do a good job for you. Black baldies sell well in our area and especially in the past 5-10 years the interest in our Hereford bulls has really increased with commercial guys with black cows and quite a few of them have come back to buy bulls again from us after they see the advantage of the black baldy. One guy last year told us he is done buying Angus bulls as not only does his baldy calves do better for him but the Hereford bulls disposition is night and day from the Angus bulls.

Stocker Steve":hxr1xz5p said:
I understand why baldie heifers are worth more.
What is the benefit of baldie steers in the feedlot?

Steve the feeders I talk too say a good baldie performs better than anything they feed.That is why they are willing to pay a premium.