Black is out, Red & White is in

Help Support CattleToday:

Hybrid vigor is FREE. It starts with vigorous calves that grow well that tend to be healthier. Follows thru to the feedlot - or females generally make better cows, milk more, healthier, produce longer.
You get even more hybrid vigor when you cross Continental with British.

elkwc":3i6ra50r said:
Stocker Steve":3i6ra50r said:
I understand why baldie heifers are worth more.
What is the benefit of baldie steers in the feedlot?

Steve the feeders I talk too say a good baldie performs better than anything they feed.That is why they are willing to pay a premium.

Better feed conversion or higher ADG or lower death loss or ?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ms3cxyk said:

I went black limi over hereford cows for a couple years. Meat wagon baldy steers. Kept a couple fancy heifers even though I was warned not to. Cows are good mothers, but just keep growing till they hit about 1600 pounds. Kit would be very disappointed. :(

Stocker Steve":ut8ns0o0 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":ut8ns0o0 said:

I went black limi over hereford cows for a couple years. Meat wagon baldy steers. Kept a couple fancy heifers even though I was warned not to. Cows are good mothers, but just keep growing till they hit about 1600 pounds. Kit would be very disappointed. :(

I had a red Limousin bull a couple years back. Had him with Angus and a few crossbreed cows, only one straight Hereford had a calf by him. That calf was the thickest calf we have ever had here. Have thought some about trying a black Limousin, still leaning towards a Brangus though. Did your heifers that you kept breed on time? I kept a couple heifers from the red Lim out of hereford cross cows.

Ky hills":1h4e37xy said:
Did your heifers that you kept breed on time? I kept a couple heifers from the red Lim out of hereford cross cows.

Most but not all.
Usually had 100% conception rate with angus x herf heifers,
but had some opens with more musclular and later maturing limi x heifers bred to calve at 24 months of age...

Stocker Steve":3r3ud2b8 said:
Ky hills":3r3ud2b8 said:
Did your heifers that you kept breed on time? I kept a couple heifers from the red Lim out of hereford cross cows.

Most but not all.
Usually had 100% conception rate with angus x herf heifers,
but had some opens with more musclular and later maturing limi x heifers bred to calve at 24 months of age...

Thanks, that is what I was thinking may be the case.

Of course you get more variation when cross breeding, and it seems like you can pick some really nice F1 continental cross replacements, as long as you sell the biggest and most muscular ones as feeders. Even if they settle on time, you can not afford to feed the big girls.

Ky hills":2i7s7etd said:
Stocker Steve":2i7s7etd said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2i7s7etd said:

I had a red Limousin bull a couple years back. Had him with Angus and a few crossbreed cows, only one straight Hereford had a calf by him. That calf was the thickest calf we have ever had here. Have thought some about trying a black Limousin, still leaning towards a Brangus though. Did your heifers that you kept breed on time? I kept a couple heifers from the red Lim out of hereford cross cows.

And he's still going strong.

Angus Rocks":1kagboz9 said:
You guys sure are throwing all nice tempered Angus bulls under the bus
Don't feel bad they do Brahman cattle the same way

BRYANT":aokmrc6o said:
Angus Rocks":aokmrc6o said:
Don't feel bad they do Brahman cattle the same way

May have more to do individual management practices, what is desired one place may not be near as important somewhere else. I have had several Angus bulls, and cows and some have been very calm and easy to work with while a bigger portion of them were not. I will say for most part our bulls were better than the cows in that respect.
Our Brahman cross cows have all been good to work with.
Since we have been using Hereford cows and the difference in disposition is very noticeable as far as calves and dealing with cows if you have to get them up. When working Angus calves they get excited and will kick like crazy. Any of them can and will but seems like Angus are more prone. I can usually walk the Hereford calves right on in the chute makes the jobs a lot easier and less stressful than going round and round. This is coming from someone who likes Angus cattle not knocking just stating some of our experience.

This is just from my latest observation..my angus bull is doing better in this intense heat wave we've been having,then my Hereford is taking it..though it may be,,he's just smarter..

Angus Rocks":u63phvmz said:
They sure are throwing all Angus bulls under the bus for temperament. My last two bulls have been Ohlde sired Angus bulls and they and their calves have been as laid back as any Herefords that I have had. For a matter of fact, the closest that I ever came to getting linebackered by a cow was by a polled Hereford that I got from my uncles herd and he had been culling for disposition for 40 years. That polled Hereford prolapsed and died on her second calf. I love Herefords, but I had to tell a true story.

ALACOWMAN":2yh8k24z said:
This is just from my latest observation..my angus bull is doing better in this intense heat wave we've been having,then my Hereford is taking it..though it may be,,he's just smarter..
I don't even turn my Black Angus bull out into my spring calving "Bahia" herd until the first of June. Most black bulls that I have had go work the "night shift" when it comes to breeding during the summer, but not this bull. The place that my "Bahia" herd is on is sandwiched by ordained Southern Baptist ministers on both ends and they both have reminded me of all the fornication that my Black Angus bull has been involved in during broad daylight so far since I put him out the first of June.

There will always be exceptions found in ALL breeds. But, breed vs breed - Angus outweighs the Hereford when it comes to being nastier.
Temperament is heritable and is highly correlated to breeds. Why do you think they developed the Temperament EPD??

Jeanne - Simme Valley":23as5kod said:
There will always be exceptions found in ALL breeds. But, breed vs breed - Angus outweighs the Hereford when it comes to being nastier.
Temperament is heritable and is highly correlated to breeds. Why do you think they developed the Temperament EPD??
The more numbers and information you can come up with the better your product sells. Talk sells just another Angus marketing tool. So far we've never had a mean bull of any breed. Angus cows are definitely more protective of their calves than Hereford or Simmental.

Post Oak":2n0rhie9 said:
Angus Rocks":2n0rhie9 said:
They sure are throwing all Angus bulls under the bus for temperament. My last two bulls have been Ohlde sired Angus bulls and they and their calves have been as laid back as any Herefords that I have had. For a matter of fact, the closest that I ever came to getting linebackered by a cow was by a polled Hereford that I got from my uncles herd and he had been culling for disposition for 40 years. That polled Hereford prolapsed and died on her second calf. I love Herefords, but I had to tell a true story.
laid back ...they act like their on valium..I'm using my first Occ..hopefully won't be my last..I'm still getting use to their temperament..not use to having them in my way :cowboy:

True Grit Farms":2l2rq9dy said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2l2rq9dy said:
The more numbers and information you can come up with the better your product sells. Talk sells just another Angus marketing tool. So far we've never had a mean bull of any breed. Angus cows are definitely more protective of their calves than Hereford or Simmental.
To be honest - I didn't know Angus had a temperament score. It was first started with the Limo's (I believe). Simm now have a score also.

Most Angus bulls I had are laid-back but their disposition is a little different than Hereford bulls. Angus bulls get worked up a little easy than Herefords and a little more flighty. They surely won't let the horses close to them...

Muddy":1km9ar2z said:
Most Angus bulls I had are laid-back but their disposition is a little different than Hereford bulls. Angus bulls get worked up a little easy than Herefords and a little more flighty. They surely won't let the horses close to them...

Angus are smart also.

Latest posts