Black is Back

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
I have a short, clear cut question that should have a short clear cut answer. (hoping to avoid controversy)

Is Black Angus the only breed of cattle (out of all the scores or hundreds of breeds) that is naturally black?

Jon

No. Galloway are black. Dexters can be black, red or dun colored. Belted Galloway's are black with a white belt.

I do not think the original angus were totally black. Only the totally black were kept and developed into the angus breed of today. White markings will still show up from time to time and even red. I see a lot of regesterd angus with white showing up around the udders.

Apparently even Galloways come in a variety of colors.

"The most visible characteristic of the Galloway is their long hair coat. Serving a dual purpose, the coarse outer coat sheds wind and rain, while the soft, fur-like under coat provides insulation and waterproofing. The color of the coat ranges from the more popular Black, to Dun (silver through brown), Red, White (with dark pigment about the eyes, nose, ears and teats), and the Belted (black, dun or red, with a white band around the middle)."

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

They say everyone has an agenda... In this case I have a reason that this question came to mind.

I read often on this forum where a cow or bull is cross bred and it is always assumed that ,if some degree of black color results, there is an angus involved.

My thought was, couldn't the black result from another (non Angus) breed in the mix?

It would not be common to see a Galloway xbred to a hereford though it might happen. I guess I was thinking in terms of more common breeds used for crosses. Limounsin, Simmental, Brahman, Santa Gertrudis, etc, etc.

Am I way off base here?

Jon

MissouriExile":nmaww2ro said:
They say everyone has an agenda... In this case I have a reason that this question came to mind.

I read often on this forum where a cow or bull is cross bred and it is always assumed that ,if some degree of black color results, there is an angus involved.

My thought was, couldn't the black result from another (non Angus) breed in the mix?

It would not be common to see a Galloway xbred to a hereford though it might happen. I guess I was thinking in terms of more common breeds used for crosses. Limounsin, Simmental, Brahman, Santa Gertrudis, etc, etc.

Am I way off base here?

Jon

The black could come from a few other breeds. But, practically speaking, there are many, many more Angus around than Black Welch, Galloways, Black Herefords, etc. Chances are very good that those black Limis, Simmentals, Longhorns, Beefmaster, Gelvieh, etc., got black by crossing Angus into the breed.

MissouriExile":32qu5c9p said:

Anything that is black and turns out good you can bet the angus people will take credit for it. ;-)

Am I way off base here?

Jon
I do not understand why it has to be any breed. All that has to happen is a black gene from somewhere back in an anamals history show up. Most of the time these animals are culled but then you have one individual that finds a way to captilize on the genetic defect and starts a new breed. Is'nt that how we got minies.
Anything that is black and turns out good you can bet the angus people will take credit for it. ;-)

novatech":2fl3waph said:
I do not understand why it has to be any breed. All that has to happen is a black gene from somewhere back in an anamals history show up. Most of the time these animals are culled but then you have one individual that finds a way to captilize on the genetic defect and starts a new breed. Is'nt that how we got minies.

A black gene doesn;t just "show up". The odds of a gene mutation that would make a red animal turn black have to be astronomical.
A red anaiml by definition is homozygous red, i.e., 2 red genes

I know that Black Angus has been crossed with Longhorn but that's not how Longhorns got to be black. The breed itself carries every color gene. There are a few Longhorn breeders who have concentrated on breeding just black Longhorns primarily for the commercial breeder who wants a solid colored live calf from their first calf heifers. Actually, when black Angus is crossed with Longhorn it's anyone's guess as to what color the calf will be. Usually, they'll come out line backed, spotted or speckled, sometimes solid but it's not a sure thing.

Nope, even Holsteins come in red and white

Now my question has been answered. I have seen the pink milk in the stores for years and now I know where it comes from!! :lol:

I was thinking back when I was a kid. This man had a big ol black brahma bull. He had no angus anything. The mama to this bull was white. The bull was a dark gray.
So was or is there black hided brahmas. I also remember some of the brahmas being black with a red center.

Many Corriente cattle are black. They have been in the USA since the 1500's.

Used to be lot's of them here down south back in the 50's and 60's.

Ever seen a bull in a Spanish or Mexican bullfight that wasn't black? Angus with horns? :lol:

Joy in Texas":2rtrglds said:
I was thinking back when I was a kid. This man had a big ol black brahma bull. He had no angus anything. The mama to this bull was white. The bull was a dark gray.
So was or is there black hided brahmas. I also remember some of the brahmas being black with a red center.

It is common for breeders of Gray Brahman to breed to a Red Brahman. They do this to add pigment. When you see a gray brahman with black you can bet there is a red bull back in its' pedegree somewhere. Ideally many breeder are trying for a black cape across the shoulders. And there are breeders that specialize in Black Brahamans. I many be wrong on this but I think they are regestered as Red Brahmans.

Latest posts