Black hided cattle struggling with this heat

Help Support CattleToday:

I also agree. Here in the North, obviously we need hairy cattle to survive our winters. But, when a heat wa e hits us early, it's tough on them. Most all my paddocks have trees, so they do a lot of rubbing.

I never said anyone shouldn't cull a cow that is doing poorly, no matter what color it is. I simply said there is nothing wrong with a cow , of any color, resting in the shade or in water during the heat of the day. I haven't gone back through these 6 pages, but I do not recall anyone saying that their black cattle doing this in the heat of the day, were losing weight while other -color cows were gaining weight.

I went down to my friend Scott's place last week, to take 2 pointer puppies i had acquired. We rode out to the Kudzu pasture that we used to keep the Corrinte cows on. All we have left on this property this year, are the 4 Corriente heifers we kept from last year, the 4 plummer cows I traded for this spring ( all 8 of these are colored with the various colors and pattterns that Criolo cattle have), a Brahma x Chi-Angus (solid black) and a Brahma x Chianina ( solid white) that I got in May, and a black Corriente bull. All 11 were laying in the creek where the trees over hang. 98 degrees that day at noon, probably got hotter by 4, with nearly 100% humidity. They have probably done this every day since May, and will do so til October. None of them, even the black or mostly blacks, are "doing poorly".
The ones I'm talking about aren't laying around lazily chewing their cuds. Many will have their mouths open. They don't do well during hot, humid weather. If they maintained condition and weaned a heavy calf they wouldn't be culled.

The ones I'm talking about aren't laying around lazily chewing their cuds. Many will have their mouths open. They don't do well during hot, humid weather. If they maintained condition and weaned a heavy calf they wouldn't be culled.

Warren Allison said:
I never said anyone shouldn't cull a cow that is doing poorly, no matter what color it is. I simply said there is nothing wrong with a cow , of any color, resting in the shade or in water during the heat of the day.

I think you may be trying to argue with me, saying the same thing I said!