Black hided cattle struggling with this heat

Help Support CattleToday:

I have read part of the posts. As I lived in SW KS for over 50 years and have known many who either fed cattle, worked at the feedyards or managed them this has happened before just not on this scale maybe. With social media, ect things that 25 years ago remained local news now spreads. I feel also there is more reporting now.
First one reason many feedyards were built in that area was because of the normal low humidity and consistent air movement. In the rare instances where there is high humidity, no or little air flow and some heat is when you see this issue. It happens mainly to fat cattle in feedyards but have seen it happen too show cattle and other cattle that are more prone too stress. In the lots most of these cattle are insured and are required to be checked for cause of death by an vet. Some of these yards that have experienced this before have installed sprinklers for use during these situations.
I am currently in west central OK. I pulled CIDRS that Friday evening and Saturday morning. The conditions were so bad I almost cancelled the project. I took it slow and still about got too hot. The cows and calves were standing with their mouths open before I started. I was fortunate and made it through ok, when we AIed Monday morning the temperature was higher but the humidity was lower and there was an nice breeze. It made a big difference even though the temperature was higher. Many of these yards are 50,000 head or more. So as whole these deaths were a small percentage. These cattle belonged to more than one yard. They weren't all from one yard from what I've learned. I worked for a vet at one time and my Dad worked in yards the last few years of his life. Like I stated it has happened before. Many making posts questioning this is the cause for the deaths evidently have no experience or knowledge about this issue and what they are commenting about.

Another factor was some of these cattle hadn't shed yet. Some of it might be due to cooler temperatures but some is due to genetics. I am having the same issue. Had a visit with a barn owner today about the issue. I'm seeing it worse on genetics from the north. While selecting sires to buy semen on I have found it is hard to find much information on how they shed. In our current heat those who haven't shed are having more trouble.

Angus Hair Shed EPD
Hopefully there are some pregnancies from your AI project.
Thanks. I hope so also. Have some concerns. In 9 months we will know. Have already seen one in heat 20 days after AIing so went ahead and turned the clean up bull out on that group. With the cost to AI I need at least 50% to justify it. We did get some nice calves from last years AIing.

I find some of the comments about black cattle amusing. Especially those that say that black cattle lay in the shade or in the water all day instead of eating! One even said he was gonna cull his black cows because he caught them laying under a tree instead of standing out in the heat grazing!!! ROFLMAO! All of you that are bothered by cows taking a noon day siesta... have you not noticed that your Angus cows are just as fat and happy as the inferior-colored cows? News flash for you...if you cared to spend a night out in your pasture, you'd see them start grazing at dusk, and graze til the sun got up approaching noon. Why do you care if they eat at 2PM or 2 AM, as long as they eat?!!

The recommendation of many of the smartest people in the US is to cull cows that can't stand your climate. Just like eared cattle are rarely seen in Canada or Scottish highland are rare in South TX. Yes I will cull.
A lot of cattle are culled in the mountain states for doing poorly... and it really comes down to altitude problems.

The recommendation of many of the smartest people in the US is to cull cows that can't stand your climate. Just like eared cattle are rarely seen in Canada or Scottish highland are rare in South TX. Yes I will cull.
Exactly, there is a difference between Laying in the shade or even getting in a pond to cool off during real hot weather, and struggling to thrive or maintain.
I've always believed that ear cross cattle could be beneficial to our areas.
To build on your common sense statements it makes sense to cull cattle that are not able to thrive in your environment. If they are struggling due to heat stress they aren't breeding, milking, growing as they should, which greatly affects any profit margins.

Exactly, there is a difference between Laying in the shade or even getting in a pond to cool off during real hot weather, and struggling to thrive or maintain.
I've always believed that ear cross cattle could be beneficial to our areas.
To build on your common sense statements it makes sense to cull cattle that are not able to thrive in your environment. If they are struggling due to heat stress they aren't breeding, milking, growing as they should, which greatly affects any profit margins.
I guess your explanation is better than mine. I have 3 cows that will lay with their mouth open and tongue out. Always the last to breed. They don't make me happy so they will be leaving.

I guess your explanation is better than mine. I have 3 cows that will lay with their mouth open and tongue out. Always the last to breed. They don't make me happy so they will be leaving.
No, my explanation isn't any better, I know we both know how it is, apparently not everyone else does and it has to spelled out for them sometimes. 😂

No, my explanation isn't any better, I know we both know how it is, apparently not everyone else does and it has to spelled out for them sometimes. 😂
My big difference is I go to the stockyard every week at least once and if one does something I dont like she can ride along. I have no pets although I have had in the past. I might put up with a stupid one if she produces well. But some things puts them on the cull list when cows are high. Best slaughter cows in this area got to 1.12 this week. One better not pizz me off.

Made a few trips down in the field to get some fill dirt. Noticed the cows and calves moving from one shade to another. It was around 1:30, around 90*.
I watched them for a bit, some just got drink and went on through to another shade, some walked through the water and some went out in it for a few minutes. My next trip down they had all left the pond. Black bull didn't go in the pond, he made a bee line up by the neighbors fence to beller at their bull, then he headed back to the shade.
Both black cattle and Herefords in the water, in fact more red ones than black.😂5EFE8B34-71F7-4494-9A67-0B146F9AA9A1.jpegEB83A4FE-FD6C-4E75-9503-18E4EFC1964D.jpeg02B22A65-1FAD-4461-99DD-9D86BECB8B7B.jpeg

Cows (black or any color) that rest in the shade during the heat of the day are maybe just smarter than other cows that stay out grazing in the hot sun!😁
Yep!
I'm just as happy watching them lazily chew cud in the shade. That means they are eating some time.
Inferior colored..... 🤔
And stupid too! 🤣

I never said anyone shouldn't cull a cow that is doing poorly, no matter what color it is. I simply said there is nothing wrong with a cow , of any color, resting in the shade or in water during the heat of the day. I haven't gone back through these 6 pages, but I do not recall anyone saying that their black cattle doing this in the heat of the day, were losing weight while other -color cows were gaining weight.

I went down to my friend Scott's place last week, to take 2 pointer puppies i had acquired. We rode out to the Kudzu pasture that we used to keep the Corrinte cows on. All we have left on this property this year, are the 4 Corriente heifers we kept from last year, the 4 plummer cows I traded for this spring ( all 8 of these are colored with the various colors and pattterns that Criolo cattle have), a Brahma x Chi-Angus (solid black) and a Brahma x Chianina ( solid white) that I got in May, and a black Corriente bull. All 11 were laying in the creek where the trees over hang. 98 degrees that day at noon, probably got hotter by 4, with nearly 100% humidity. They have probably done this every day since May, and will do so til October. None of them, even the black or mostly blacks, are "doing poorly".

One issue we are having more of here is cattle that are slow to shed. Some don't ever slick off. These cattle have more issues with heat and overall don't do as well. I see it in both fall weaned calves and mature cows and bulls. In my experience I have seen it mostly in Northern genetics. I have Angus that handle the heat and humidity well and those that don't. Many of those that don't shed well.

What I meant to say is that many of the cattle that don't do as well in the heat are those that don't shed as well. I see a correlation between the two.

Latest posts