Black Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is sad that such a strong breed as Hereford would go black.

Tod

No. They are Herefords that are homozygous black and were only crossed one generation to get the black hide. The continuously bred back to other black baldies or Herefords.

dun

Ellie May":h2msfbcs said:
When they say Black Hereford, they mean Black Baldie RIGHT???
Ellie May

I was invited to the sale this year at Leavenworth wasn't able to make it . In all the literature all I saw was polled. Dun is right about the color the bloodlines are hereford, same as lot of mine.

Think I will stay red just hate to let those angus people think they got it right.

Black Baldies are F-! crosses (Hereford and Black Angus)

F-1 X Hereford = 3/4 H 1/4 B. Angus

and so on the key is to selection of the Black hide by 15/16 or 31/32 or 63/64 it would be a pretty strong Hereford only with a Black Hide and his calves would also have a good chance of being Black Hided....Thus maybe in certain markets they would bring a few more cents per hundred weight.I guess you do what you can in these trying times...ALF

I would love to have all of my hereford calves come out black. The fact that the "black" hereford gene pool is so small would keep me from buying them however. I don't want all you color whiners to turn this into another sob fest either.

BLACKPOWER":3lmdfm55 said:
I would love to have all of my hereford calves come out black. The fact that the "black" hereford gene pool is so small would keep me from buying them however. I don't want all you color whiners to turn this into another sob fest either.

So a hereford with a black hide is better than a red one??? I RAISE EM FOR MEAT NOT HIDES..............

BLACKPOWER":wjl7njz8 said:

So a hereford with a black hide is better than a red one??? I RAISE EM FOR MEAT NOT HIDES..............

But as little sense as it makes, most order buyers will pay a little more for a black hide then the will for reds.

dun

WORANCH":1grt0qap said:
BLACKPOWER":1grt0qap said:
I would love to have all of my hereford calves come out black. The fact that the "black" hereford gene pool is so small would keep me from buying them however. I don't want all you color whiners to turn this into another sob fest either.[/quote

Looks to me like the Red Angus will be the next big thing. Get on the Red Angus Bandwagon.
I don't have any right now.
But I will.

We do. We're slowly fazing out the blacks. A good blck Angus bred to a good Red Angus bull will gve you a black calf usually. But those heifers will have a 50:50 chance of giving you a red calf when bred to a Red Angus, or Hereford for that matter.

dun

la4angus":2lw8p0p3 said:
Looks to me like the Red Angus will be the next big thing. Get on the Red Angus Bandwagon.
But I will.

la4angus":mi3ga4iz said:
But I will.

You have to be careful about those "bandwagons." Sometimes when the parade is over you can be left all alone.

True Frankie
But the Red Angus have been a very good breed for a long time.
Even when the Blacks and other Briitish Breeds were the little short, dumpy kind of cattle in the 50's and 60's the Red Angus had considerably more size to them. The Reds have not been promoted as heavy as the Blacks and therefore have not had near the recognition that the Blacks nor the Herefords have had or have. As of now, the Reds do not have as big a gene pool as the Blacks have but there is some outstanding genetics in the breed that a person could use. I am not advocating to buy just anything that has a red hide, but if a person goes with quality and genetics he or she wont be left behind, because I believe that they are here to stay. I think that has been proven by them still being around now even after all the bad rap that they have had in the past from the Black breeders.
They are a good, easy keeping, very fertile, highly maternal, high yielding, and grading, moderate kind of cattle that can be well utilized in about any commercial operation. They can also take the heat better than the blacks.
With this said, I will continue to Breed Blacks as I think that they are the Superior beef breed, but will also be breeding a few of the right kind of Reds.

Frankie":33d1lsqq said:
la4angus":33d1lsqq said:
But I will.

You have to be careful about those "bandwagons." Sometimes when the parade is over you can be left all alone.

Wouldn't want to be on LA's bandwagon..seems like you follow whatever everyone else whether it isn't healthy or effective as long as everyone else does. Besides I have a stink for Bush's supporters....if you are supporting Bush, you are supporting an domineering "monarch" style administration..the man is a major idiot. I hope King George gets overthrown from his throne (his castle: The White House; his throne: The Oval Office; his jester: Old Dick Cheney).
Join the smart bandwagon: the lean meat market. Your consiences would be at ease knowing your meat is healthy therefore your customers will be healthy and live longer than Angus meat buyers. I think the best thing to do is join a bandwagon what YOU choose to join. Not your buddies' wagons from the coffee shop, salebarns, or whatever....but YOU! Goodluck wth those Angus in Louisiana....look like its going to be a hot summer... be sure they have extra water then they normally would if they were Brangus or Chars or even Herfs.

Hey OREGONIAN
I expect you are in favor of QUEER MARRIAGES also.
Well that figures.
WIN BUSH WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts