Black Herefords vs Black Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

OhioRiver

Reaction score
I have just seen my first black hereford this afternoon. It looked awesome. The gentleman owning it told me he changed from red hereford to black hereford because he was seeing others get 25-30% more for their weaned calves than his at the same epd.

Is the black hereford an organization that is on the rise with pedigree need or what?

I dont know too much about them. I have visited theis website a couple times. I agree, they do look awsome. Most people are refusing to call them black herefords, still calling them black baldies.....

Is the black influence from angus?

hgfarmer":39t7f6mz said:
I dont know too much about them. I have visited theis website a couple times. I agree, they do look awsome. Most people are refusing to call them black herefords, still calling them black baldies.....

I don't know where they get a Black Hereford EPD from but kinda doubt that their number is EXACTLY the same as a Hereford EPD for the same number value. Black Herefords are kind of a wierd little composite breed that has popped up recently. I can see the attraction. The question to ponder is DO they have the people (knowledge, ability, money, endurance) to build a breed from the ground up?

OhioRiver":3725ya8g said:
I have just seen my first black hereford this afternoon. It looked awesome. The gentleman owning it told me he changed from red hereford to black hereford because he was seeing others get 25-30% more for their weaned calves than his at the same epd.

Is the black hereford an organization that is on the rise with pedigree need or what?

No, in that association you have to use just their bulls, very limited bull selection. IT'S JUST A CROSSBRED CALF! Why pay for the reg. expense etc???

OhioRiver":y5twcuvr said:

hgfarmer":y5twcuvr said:

Yes, the black is from Angus. It's my understanding that a registered Black Hereford is like a Brangus, 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Hereford (or Brahman).

They have a website with a history of the breed, etc.

http://www.blackhereford.com/

I thought the black came from dairy farmer's crossing Holstein and Hereford's? And Angus x Hereford were Baldies?

rouxshortorn":27cavgi2 said:
I thought the black came from dairy farmer's crossing Holstein and Hereford's? And Angus x Hereford were Baldies?

That's what I thought too. Becuase there's a breed that got started here called the Hays Converter that have a result of a number of "black herefords", from what I know....

Frankie":31xyo5tf said:
OhioRiver":31xyo5tf said:

hgfarmer":31xyo5tf said:

Yes, the black is from Angus. It's my understanding that a registered Black Hereford is like a Brangus, 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Hereford (or Brahman).

They have a website with a history of the breed, etc.

http://www.blackhereford.com/

Purebred Black Herefords are minimum of 62.5% HEREFORD.

Fullbloods are a minimum of 87.5% HEREFORD.

They are not 5/8 Angus as Frankie stated. :roll:

OhioRiver":2947havp said:
The sale barn guys state that they are a novelty of sort and would bring a premium from that alone.

Beef11":2947havp said:
Do the black herefords breed true?

BS. Anyone that knows cattle would just buy them as baldys. The only rpemium would be as a gag gift because of the "registration papers"

Can't think of too many "novelty" breeds that get a premium at a sale... Generally a novelty would be a good excuse to not bid on the animal but as Dun said, they would just be bid on like every other Black Baldy that ran through that day which in itself is not a bad thing...

Just another breed trying to jump on the black hide bandwagon. I'm very pleased the American Hereford Association has nothing to do with them and does not recognize them as a Hereford.

Alan

rouxshortorn":25ukh2na said:
In England, the Holstein cross Hereford is called a "Black Hereford", they are usually crossed to Angus as the terminal breed and finished with barley for the assured Angus brand.

dun":34fef3mu said:
OhioRiver":34fef3mu said:
The sale barn guys state that they are a novelty of sort and would bring a premium from that alone.

Beef11":34fef3mu said:
Do the black herefords breed true?

BS. Anyone that knows cattle would just buy them as baldys. The only rpemium would be as a gag gift because of the "registration papers"

Correct call by dun. Sale barn buyers could not care less about breed associations. However, their novelty would be a persuasive bargaining chip in private treaty sales to small time producers. And that is a large market.

Latest posts