Black Hereford's! That is news to me.

Help Support CattleToday:

Should all the traditional breeds be deviating from their traditional roots?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
BWA,
If you notice, you have to breed up to get a so called "black hereford". The last time I checked, which has been a good while, there was only one sire in the herd book. The hereford assoc. will not open up their reg book to the black hereford. The only reason this guy was able to get his baldie cattle consistently is because the hereford white face is dominate. Breed anything to a hereford and you will get a white face. Then call it a new breed! HAHA This is all you are going to get out of me on this topic. It was touched on a while back.

Any one/group could start their own breed? association. Maybe we should start the Ozark Hybred Associtaion. That's any thing that's out of a Holstein cow and is sired by a non-dairy bull. The preferred source of the bull is a salebarn bought by weight as a slaughter bull.

dun

dun":nz4iajoz said:
Any one/group could start their own breed? association. Maybe we should start the Ozark Hybred Associtaion. That's any thing that's out of a Holstein cow and is sired by a non-dairy bull. The preferred source of the bull is a salebarn bought by weight as a slaughter bull.

dun

You're on me like a dog on a bone.

Hillbilly

dun":25joaawm said:

dun

As long as it's not Hereford, that ones already taken, "New York Black Baldie"

BWA":261g7zln said:
I am not sure when they formed this association, but they were obviously not allowed into the hereford herd book. Here is a link to their homepage.

http://www.blackhereford.com/

They have been around a few years they were courting us to come to thier production sale in Leavenworth Ks. Am far as I'm concerned its just another Angus, Like the black Limos, Simms and so on and so on its still a counterfiet. I'm still not convinced that some Hereford breeders didn't slip some Simm in the woodpile as the hereford mane disappeared and pigment around the eye showed up to quick. Thats why I stick with the old bloodlines Braxton Giant and Vindicator.

Campground Cattle":37gg9qsq said:
BWA":37gg9qsq said:
I am not sure when they formed this association, but they were obviously not allowed into the hereford herd book. Here is a link to their homepage.

They have been around a few years they were courting us to come to thier production sale in Leavenworth Ks. Am far as I'm concerned its just another Angus, Like the black Limos, Simms and so on and so on its still a counterfiet. I'm still not convinced that some Hereford breeders didn't slip some Simm in the woodpile as the hereford mane disappeared and pigment around the eye showed up to quick. Thats why I stick with the old bloodlines Braxton Giant and Vindicator.
Camp forgive me if I am wrong but wasn't Vindicator an outlaw pedigree in his day?

ollie":j5lsm831 said:
Campground Cattle":j5lsm831 said:
BWA":j5lsm831 said:

Camp forgive me if I am wrong but wasn't Vindicator an outlaw pedigree in his day?

No the one I talking about is polled from the Victorous Line.

Yes is from the Victor line[/quote]

Hey Hereford Folks, would you please give me a brief explanation about these various lines of Hereford cattle. I'm not in the Hereford business but have been amazed at how much many breeders still stay within a certain line of cattle (i.e. Victor, Domino, Canadian, etc.). Please share the differences between these, and other, lines of Hereford cattle.

If a guy was going to get into the Hereford business, which lines should he consider and which ones should he avoid?

Thanks

I think the lines you choose should depend on your location, and if you fancy the polled or horned. As for Canadian pedigree's don't think you can beat Remital.
If a guy was going to get into the Hereford business, which lines should he consider and which ones should he avoid?

Google":toqda61n said:
Yes is from the Victor line

Hey Hereford Folks, would you please give me a brief explanation about these various lines of Hereford cattle. I'm not in the Hereford business but have been amazed at how much many breeders still stay within a certain line of cattle (i.e. Victor, Domino, Canadian, etc.). Please share the differences between these, and other, lines of Hereford cattle.

Thanks[/quote]

I always liked the Braxton Giant line from New Zealand. I preferd this line for the low birth weights, moderate frame, good growth and weaning wieghts at 45 to 55% on grass only. If thier is one thing I have been working to improve is milk production.

while some breeders tend to stay within the same line or family, others will breed to whatever the current national champion happens to be.

we like the victor bloodlines in our cowherd. victors are known for being a highly maternal line. if you have a good cow line, you can breed them to almost anything & be ok (that's not to say you should breed them to just anything). imo, you need cows that are fertile, efficient, and milk. without that, it doesn't matter what kind of bulls you use.

while we like the victor lines, we don't linebreed or even like too much victor in our cows. we like to similate it to weaving a web........every once in a while, when the victor bloodline gets too far back in the pedigree, you need to weave some more back in. that's what we're doing with our herd right now. we've been outcrossing for a couple of generations to some growthier bulls and are now using several victor bulls again.

the main thing to do is to develop a plan. what is your market? are you planning to sell herd bulls, females, show steers? then you can look at which lines fit best into that plan. what works for us may not work for someone in a different environment or a different market.

txag":3l24608h said:
while some breeders tend to stay within the same line or family, others will breed to whatever the current national champion happens to be.

we like the victor bloodlines in our cowherd. victors are known for being a highly maternal line. if you have a good cow line, you can breed them to almost anything & be ok (that's not to say you should breed them to just anything). imo, you need cows that are fertile, efficient, and milk. without that, it doesn't matter what kind of bulls you use.

while we like the victor lines, we don't linebreed or even like too much victor in our cows. we like to similate it to weaving a web........every once in a while, when the victor bloodline gets too far back in the pedigree, you need to weave some more back in. that's what we're doing with our herd right now. we've been outcrossing for a couple of generations to some growthier bulls and are now using several victor bulls again.

the main thing to do is to develop a plan. what is your market? are you planning to sell herd bulls, females, show steers? then you can look at which lines fit best into that plan. what works for us may not work for someone in a different environment or a different market.

Totally agree thats why I like the Victor,Braxton Giant cross. We get what we consider a great cow. But of all the lines I prefer the Braxtons .

Any of you'all old enough to remember a line of cattle from a bull called
supreme. 70's or 80's I would guess. The best cattleman that I know says these were the best herefords he ever saw. Some sold in the Bear Tooth dispersal in the 80's.

ollie":3crzcdv0 said:
supreme. 70's or 80's I would guess. The best cattleman that I know says these were the best herefords he ever saw. Some sold in the Bear Tooth dispersal in the 80's.

i was at the beartooth dispersal but don't remember supreme offhand. i actually think my dad still has the beartooth catalog.....i'll see if he does & check it out.

They were too moderate for their day. Be careful though I don't know if they had epd's.

ollie":1q98085n said:

I didn't realize that Bear Tooth had Herefords back then. I think they're primarily running Gelbviehs and Angus these days.

Does Mel Gibson still own Bear Tooth?

Yes, Mel Gibson does still own Beartooth. I talked with the showstring help while I was in Denver this year. She said he doesn't make it to the ranch very often any more. Used to see him all the time according to her.

Latest posts