Black Herefords Question

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree they are no different than the other spin offs fakes being sold as something there not.
If you want an Angus composite fine name it what it is and sell it for that
i.e. Brangus Braford Simangus etc. Herefords along with a host of other breeds are not black.

Caustic Burno":t3ajeqnm said:
I agree they are no different than the other spin offs fakes being sold as something there not.
i.e. Brangus Braford Simangus etc. Herefords along with a host of other breeds are not black.

I agree and what I have said many times. And for Simmentals breeders to call a black animal Simmental like he is pure Simmental I don't agree with. I don't care if he is 90% Simmental. He still isn't pure and also he isn't colored like a Simmental is supposed to be. Like you said call them what you want but don't call them something they aren't.

elkwc":1s232jr9 said:
Caustic Burno":1s232jr9 said:

I agree and what I have said many times. And for Simmentals breeders to call a black animal Simmental like he is pure Simmental I don't agree with. I don't care if he is 90% Simmental. He still isn't pure and also he isn't colored like a Simmental is supposed to be. Like you said call them what you want but don't call them something they aren't.
That's why they are classified as "pure bred" or "full blood" no different than the Red Angus 1A and 1B classification. If you are buying cattle of a specific breed I would imagine you would at least be up to snuff on registration criteria
The majority of the continental breeds in the US and Canada are bred up anyway. That was how most of the breeds started over here. Import bulls and use them on native cows.

I think black herefords have to be at least 7/8 hereford - so not much heterosis there. The idea was to get a homozygous black hereford cross to mate with other breeds and get black calves. This was done to compete with angus. To get a 7/8 hereford that was homozygous black, they had to select for only that trait. Single trait selection is usually not optimal.

cmay":2sa7qtek said:
I think black herefords have to be at least 7/8 hereford - so not much heterosis there. The idea was to get a homozygous black hereford cross to mate with other breeds and get black calves. This was done to compete with angus. To get a 7/8 hereford that was homozygous black, they had to select for only that trait. Single trait selection is usually not optimal.

Especially when that single trait is a negative. The cost of black hair is becoming more obvious as discussed in this article. I have been fascinated for years watching the whole cattle industry head the wrong direction.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2816300281

Higher temperatures and heat stress alone can reduce cattle production by reducing feed intake, feed efficiency, and causing mortality...........
Brown-Brandl et al. conducted an assessment of heat tolerance of Angus, MARCIII (crossbreed consisting of Pinzgauer, Red Poll, Hereford, and Angus breeds), Gelbvieh, and Charolais breeds with varying hide color (black, dark red, tan, white, respectively). Black hided cattle had the greatest respiration rates, panting scores, and surface temperatures followed by dark red, then tan, and then white cattle. The development of heat stress increased drinking and standing, decreased eating, lying, and physical activity. Darker cattle made more behavioral adjustments than lighter cattle. These heat tolerance results are driven by cattle with lighter hair coats having lower solar absorption.