Black Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I read an article the other day that there are registered black Herefords. Does anyone know about this breed. How do I find a registered one. I have Polled Herefords know, can I do AI with a black Herford bull>/?

Here is their website:

http://blackhereford.com/

I'd call them with all your questions. Also there is a Black Hereford breeder on here, can't remember their name but sure they will post or PM.

Good Luck ;-)

CPL":255xvr3n said:
Also there is a Black Hereford breeder on here, can't remember their name but sure they will post or PM.

Good Luck ;-)

I think the name was texbulldog. If you do a name search you should be able to PM him/her.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2x3uns99 said:
Breed your Herefords to a good Angus bull and you will get the same results without all the BS.

So a "Black Hereford" is what we've always called a Black baldie ? An Angus/Herford cross ?

VanC":1k6kizqz said:
CPL":1k6kizqz said:
Also there is a Black Hereford breeder on here, can't remember their name but sure they will post or PM.

Good Luck ;-)

I think the name was texbulldog. If you do a name search you should be able to PM him/her.

That was it.

I think a "Black Hereford" is pretty much a "Registered" Black Baldy with a tab bit more Hereford.

I have often wondered how the breed associations simmental , limosin and hereford can say they have purebred black cattle when everybody knows they were developed from angus crosses. I just brought up the black hereford website and nowhere did it mention where the black comes from . I have a registered black simmental bull, I have asked different people where the black comes from and nobody will give me a straight answer. Why dont they just admit that they are angus crosses?

shorty":qu17dv9u said:
I have often wondered how the breed associations simmental , limosin and hereford can say they have purebred black cattle when everybody knows they were developed from angus crosses. I just brought up the black hereford website and nowhere did it mention where the black comes from . I have a registered black simmental bull, I have asked different people where the black comes from and nobody will give me a straight answer. Why dont they just admit that they are angus crosses?
Well then I guess all good red herfords must have come from red angus. :lol:

shorty":2ni9pg8b said:

You have to know the definition of purebred and fullblood. Full blood is 100% of the given breed, purebred is a percantage of another breed. If I remeber correctly (alwasy doubtful) it's something like a 86% for cows, not sure what it is for full. For that matter not sure if that's right for cows either, memory is a little flaky on numbers.

Dun is correct.
Shorty - I don't know who you have talked to - but black Simmentals have the black gene from a black animal of another breed - generally Angus.
The black gene is dominant - so it was real easy to get black purebred Simmental (Limo, etc).
In the Simmental breed, they have to be 7/8% Registered Simmental to be considered Purebred.
But, remember, there have been black Simmentals for 35 years. Some of those black cattle would be hard pressed to find much of any Angus gene in them. (you know - 999/1000%)
We had black 1/2 bloods back in 1970. :shock:
According to John Pollak, Cornell U., back about 10 years ago there was less than 8% Angus genes in the black Purebred Simmentals registered with ASA.
That's a pretty powerful 8% if the Angus breed wants to claim all the "good" in the black Simmentals came from Angus. The color of the hide doesn't make a good cow/bull.

The Black Herefords are basically the same thing. Back a few generations they were just plain ole BWF - black baldies - bred back to PB Hereford bulls. Someone decided they wanted to call them a breed instead of a crossbred. Voila! PB Black Herefords.

shorty":3q6xbzvh said:
I have often wondered how the breed associations simmental , limosin and hereford can say they have purebred black cattle when everybody knows they were developed from angus crosses.

Shorty,
You're still confused, Black Hereford has nothing to do with with Herefords (American Hereford Association) They are not the same breed. Black bald.... I mean Black Herefords were developed from Black Angus and probably other breeds and Herefords. They could have as easily been named White Faced Angus... doesn't mean they are Black Angus. If you use a Black Hereford on your prize Polled Hereford cow you get a cross bred calf.

In addition, as Dun said, they only have to be "purebred" not "Fullblood", meaning they may have some Limo or Simmi, or Holstien, or Shorthon or Great Dane in the woodpile.

I don't think they are a legitimate breed, they are a cross that has been done for many years. Just a ploy to jump on the black hide and CAB wagon.

JMO,
Alan

preston39":1yj7l4wh said:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/circlex/blacks.htm

Then there are the super big blacks...on the horizon :roll:

Wow. I wonder if this is why MikeC has added some Angus to his operation? :D

novatech":2nqu2hqn said:
shorty":2nqu2hqn said:
Well then I guess all good red herfords must have come from red angus. :lol:

;-) 8) Maybe just the good part.

Latest posts