black hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

has anyone else heard of the new breed the black hereford does anyone think this breed will be a promising breed one you can see alot of in the future they are 5/8 hereford and 3/8 angus just for the record there really is a black hereford and it does have its own association but it is not very big

[email protected]

> has anyone else heard of the new
> breed the black hereford does
> anyone think this breed will be a
> promising breed one you can see
> alot of in the future they are 5/8
> hereford and 3/8 angus just for
> the record there really is a black
> hereford and it does have its own
> association but it is not very big

I read an article about the Black Herefords in a farm magazine a year or so ago (I believe it was Progressive Farmer). The Black Hereford Assn. also had a website but the last time I tried to bring it up I got an error message, so I'm not sure if the website or association is still in existence.

Personally I don't know what the Black Hereford association has to offer over good Angus/Hereford composite bulls from credible genetics and credible breeders. Consequently I doubt if there will be a Black Hereford Association around in ten years, and if there is I anticipate that it will only have a handful of breeders.

If I'm missing something here please tell me.

Not to be rude, but what's the point? One of the problems the beef industry has is lack of consistency in our product at the meat counter. Another breed isn't going to help that.

I read an article about the Black
> Herefords in a farm magazine a
> year or so ago (I believe it was
> Progressive Farmer). The Black
> Hereford Assn. also had a website
> but the last time I tried to bring
> it up I got an error message, so
> I'm not sure if the website or
> association is still in existence.

> Personally I don't know what the
> Black Hereford association has to
> offer over good Angus/Hereford
> composite bulls from credible
> genetics and credible breeders.
> Consequently I doubt if there will
> be a Black Hereford Association
> around in ten years, and if there
> is I anticipate that it will only
> have a handful of breeders.

> If I'm missing something here
> please tell me.

i have heard of a breed derived from the angus hereford strain called a haymaker. not many here in aus but im sure its pretty popular in the us.

From what I've been able to find out/figure out, the black hereford association (notice lower case) is selecting for one trait only. Color. They claim that to be registered they have to be homozygous black. So basicly you have a Hereford bred up to registered status the same as the continentels have for purebreds, but it has to be homozygous black. Talk about STUPID!

dun

> Not to be rude, but what's the
> point? One of the problems the
> beef industry has is lack of
> consistency in our product at the
> meat counter. Another breed isn't
> going to help that.

> I read an article about the Black

> i have heard of a breed derived
> from the angus hereford strain
> called a haymaker. not many here
> in aus but im sure its pretty
> popular in the us.

I have never heard of the Haymaker here in the US, though I have heard of a composite in Canada called Hays Converter.

I do not think thet are 3/8 angus , but are breed up to15/16 Hereford and seleceted for Homo Black... I think it the same as Black Limms. Simms. or other non black breeds that have been convered to Black... Just like them(other breeds) this allows the hereford breed to cross with and produce black offsprings and since black is in it may work for them...alf

[email protected]

Haymaker would be a dumb name for a breed anyway, i mean, unless they make hay..

Nope it 3/8 angus 5/8 hereford. There is a story in this weeks High Plains journal about the steps to creating it. I think it's on the net too just do a search.

[email protected]

Their purpose is to be "baldy makers" black baldie cows have always been considered one of the best all around brood cow ever. I really don't see the point in having a black hereford when you can cross a red hereford bull to an angus cow and will almost always get a black baldie calf.

[email protected]

i would like to see the website or info on black herefords.just curious.
> Nope it 3/8 angus 5/8 hereford.
> There is a story in this weeks
> High Plains journal about the
> steps to creating it. I think it's
> on the net too just do a search.

[email protected]

<A HREF="http://www.blackhereford.com/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.blackhereford.com/</A>

> i would like to see the website or
> info on black herefords.just
> curious.

4 members in an association that is 9 years old. It doesn't appear to be taking the world by storm.

> 4 members in an association that
> is 9 years old. It doesn't appear
> to be taking the world by storm.

Would make for real easy board of directors elections.

i dont get this at all. so what, the hereford is black. big deal. i mean why would they even think about making a new breed and only significantly changing one thing? most sensible people would know that a herefordxangus f1 (baldy) would contribute more heterosis to its offspring than a whatever percentage this is. so why not take thier hereford cows and breed them to an angus bull and create some kind of special marketing program for them or something. i mean supposedly there is a pretty good demand for black baldy cows. and they could take the f1 bulls and breed them to brahman cows and call them Baldman cattle. omg, i jsut invented a new breed!

some of the composite breeds are very good brangus for one braford is another. i thought many years ago someone should make a composite of hereford and angus because they do so well together anyway. a baldie calf brings good. you wouldn't have to keep two breeds only one and get black baldies all the time.
> i dont get this at all. so what,
> the hereford is black. big deal. i
> mean why would they even think
> about making a new breed and only
> significantly changing one thing?
> most sensible people would know
> that a herefordxangus f1 (baldy)
> would contribute more heterosis to
> its offspring than a whatever
> percentage this is. so why not
> take thier hereford cows and breed
> them to an angus bull and create
> some kind of special marketing
> program for them or something. i
> mean supposedly there is a pretty
> good demand for black baldy cows.
> and they could take the f1 bulls
> and breed them to brahman cows and
> call them Baldman cattle. omg, i
> jsut invented a new breed!

[email protected]

some composites are great, like Beefmaster and Brangus (my two favorites), Braford, Simbrah, etc. most of the 3/8 5/8 stuff is good and the 1/2 1/4 1/4 is too. I just dont get the point of a 7/8 1/8 composite. thats barely a composite, you are taking your heterosis from your 1/2 1/2 and breeding it back out. why? just to get a black color. Now i can see why (not necessarily agree with)other breeds would breed black into their cattle to make them perhaps more marketable at this time but to create a new breed soley on that is absurd. i mean if all the cattle in the world are black there are still going to be variations in quality so whats the point? and the reason people like baldies is because of their performance not their coloring. they like what you get from hereford AND angus or else they would just have hereford OR angus.

> some composites are great, like
> Beefmaster and Brangus (my two
> favorites), Braford, Simbrah, etc.
> most of the 3/8 5/8 stuff is good
> and the 1/2 1/4 1/4 is too. I just
> dont get the point of a 7/8 1/8
> composite. thats barely a
> composite, you are taking your
> heterosis from your 1/2 1/2 and
> breeding it back out. why? just to
> get a black color. Now i can see
> why (not necessarily agree
> with)other breeds would breed
> black into their cattle to make
> them perhaps more marketable at
> this time but to create a new
> breed soley on that is absurd. i
> mean if all the cattle in the
> world are black there are still
> going to be variations in quality
> so whats the point? and the reason
> people like baldies is because of
> their performance not their
> coloring. they like what you get
> from hereford AND angus or else
> they would just have hereford OR
> angus. Well here we go! Why not have black Herefords and accept them into the Hereford Association as long as they blood type Hereford or better yet pass the new DNA testing that our directors in there infinite wisdom have recently approved, and why not black we have with open arms accepted BROCKLE FACED cattle into the Association. If we don't condone cheating to get a disired outcome, we wouldn't offer a blood typing kit for sale through our Association. And as for marketing black herefords there already is a program in place, CHB (Certified Hereford Beef) which only allows Hereford and Hereford/ British cross cattle in.

[email protected]

The Certified Hereford Beef program is similar to the Certified Angus program so there are other non-hereford cattle that go through the program. Granted, the number of phonies is probably much less than for CAB, but it still happens.

Latest posts