Black Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1lm60u3q said:
Bright Raven":1lm60u3q said:
Going with commercial will only help the Angus numbers. Remember, all this Brangus cattle count in both columns - since they are as much Angus as they are Brahman.

Just to set the record straight, Brangus is 5/8 CAB and 3/8 Brahman.
Only way to improve those sorry Angus was to infuse them with Brimmers

Caustic Burno":aor238p9 said:
Raven what does it say at the super market.
Certified Angus Beef.
That is the scam the American consumer reads.
It is false advertising at best
Nowhere on that Certified sign does it explain CAB.
You have drank the Kool-Aide

CB, do you know how long that CAB Trademark has been around. Check me but I think almost 20 years!!!

Did you just land on planet earth? If someone thought they could win a lawsuit, it would have been filed. That BRAND is clearly defined! It does not say DNA ANGUS BEEF. They are adhering to their criteria regardless of the MONIKER.

Caustic Burno":tbvrzkky said:
True Grit Farms":tbvrzkky said:
Bright Raven":tbvrzkky said:
Going with commercial will only help the Angus numbers. Remember, all this Brangus cattle count in both columns - since they are as much Angus as they are Brahman.

Maybe it's the other way. Your bull is improving your brimmer X calves into better beef.

Muddy":vtuii49f said:
Caustic Burno":vtuii49f said:
True Grit Farms":vtuii49f said:
Maybe it's the other way. Your bull is improving your brimmer X calves into better beef.

I think you missed it my friend. He was employing some irony.

Bright Raven":4f44hwxs said:
Caustic Burno":4f44hwxs said:
Certified Angus Beef.

CB, do you know how long that CAB Trademark has been around. Check me but I think almost 20 years!!!

Did you just land on planet earth? If someone thought they could win a lawsuit, it would have been filed. That BRAND is clearly defined! It does not say DNA ANGUS BEEF. They are adhering to their criteria regardless of the MONIKER.

Your smarter than that .
By your definition if you paint a Mahindra John Deere green and advertise it as John Deere it must be says so on the tractor.

Caustic Burno":7uyp1e17 said:
Bright Raven":7uyp1e17 said:
Caustic Burno":7uyp1e17 said:
Certified Angus Beef.

Your smarter than that .
By your definition if you paint a Mahindra John Deere green and advertise it as John Deere it must be says so on the tractor.

CB. My very good friend. Do lawyers like to steal our money?

If this cherry was so ripe to pick, it would have been plucked 10 years ago.

NOTE: I agree. It is grievously disingenuous. But that is the nature of good ole American Capitalism.

With your permission and in good standing, I will take myself out of this debate.

May you have a restful night. :D

However, it was predicted that animals of ¼ Brahman would be able to handle and perform in the feedlot system of the Great Plains.
That one "oredicted" just makes it slightly better then a guess

Caustic Burno":up811lsa said:
dun":up811lsa said:
However, it was predicted that animals of ¼ Brahman would be able to handle and perform in the feedlot system of the Great Plains.
That one word "predicted" just makes it slightly better then a guess

Dun you may be right I am just sure his background gets closer to being right than what we see in our little worlds.

https://animalscience.tamu.edu/people/riley-david/
Until it is actually proven it's like global warming. Knowlegable scientiests on both sides of the argument. Seems the 1/4 Brahman theory would be relatively easy to prove or disprove but just testing it over a number of years with a couple of thousand head each year.

My daughter just bought 2 black Hereford bulls. She had some bull bad luck last year and lost one to lightning and the other turned sterile. It was too bad, they were really nice black hereford bulls. We used one last year when we got in a bull bind. Got some really nice calves from him. She gets mainly black W/F out of them out of her sim/angus cows. We got a few red w/f because we had more red simbra x in the pasture we put him in.
I like how the black Herefords look, much better than the red. Wished I had gotten a picture of the one we borrowed. We have a couple of new angus bulls on their way. Could have gone black Hereford, but we're sticking with angus in the herd we bought them for.
Our daughter might get into the reg black Hereford, they bring a prime price where we live and are hard to find....I sold a bottle calf that was orphaned from the herd we put the Hereford bull in. Sold so fast, I mentioned she was half black Hereford and she was black w/f.... guy wanted to start his herd with her. He also bought a twin angus bull calf from me and said he planned to use him as a bull.. He's got a long road ahead, but he's got good calves is he's planning on using them to start a herd..

cowgirl8":1x11ibef said:
My daughter just bought 2 black Hereford bulls. She had some bull bad luck last year and lost one to lightning and the other turned sterile. It was too bad, they were really nice black hereford bulls. We used one last year when we got in a bull bind. Got some really nice calves from him. She gets mainly black W/F out of them out of her sim/angus cows. We got a few red w/f because we had more red simbra x in the pasture we put him in.
I like how the black Herefords look, much better than the red. Wished I had gotten a picture of the one we borrowed. We have a couple of new angus bulls on their way. Could have gone black Hereford, but we're sticking with angus in the herd we bought them for.
Our daughter might get into the reg black Hereford, they bring a prime price where we live and are hard to find....I sold a bottle calf that was orphaned from the herd we put the Hereford bull in. Sold so fast, I mentioned she was half black Hereford and she was black w/f.... guy wanted to start his herd with her. He also bought a twin angus bull calf from me and said he planned to use him as a bull.. He's got a long road ahead, but he's got good calves is he's planning on using them to start a herd..
You shouldn;t get any red calves from these legendary "black herefords" since they aqre supposed to be homozygous black. Seems like you got scammed

I failed to mention we had other bulls in that pasture. Bulls that weren't black Hereford. Daughter runs the Hereford and got all black, but got some solid black..

But I thought you always knew which calf was from which bull, just by lookin' at it? :lol:

And here are the CAB requirements:

https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

(worth noting it says they must be angus influenced, with a black coat. But doesn't list that in their 10 requirements) Although the 51% black hide has always been mentioned, who's to say the guy guessing how much black it has is an accurate guesser.

The one requirement for CAB is the 51% black hide, but Red Angus are also supposed to be included to be accepted as CAB. But then again, people with registered Hereford animals have received a check for their animals that were accepted for CAB.

This is one reason that some of the processors that are marketing Certified Angus are doing their own programs to verify that the meat is from Angus influenced animals.

cbcr":39ei2lbv said:
The one requirement for CAB is the 51% black hide, but Red Angus are also supposed to be included to be accepted as CAB. But then again, people with registered Hereford animals have received a check for their animals that were accepted for CAB.

This is one reason that some of the processors that are marketing Certified Angus are doing their own programs to verify that the meat is from Angus influenced animals.
Red Angus have their own marketing program. I've never seen where they have been accepted for CAB

Supa Dexta":2jussrue said:
But I thought you always knew which calf was from which bull, just by lookin' at it? :lol:

(worth noting it says they must be angus influenced, with a black coat. But doesn't list that in their 10 requirements) Although the 51% black hide has always been mentioned, who's to say the guy guessing how much black it has is an accurate guesser.

I'm sure they're us a reasonable amount of rounding up, especially for animals only going into the grind.

Heck, maybe the grind needs to be 51% black, so if someone turns in a pot of 1000lb old black cows someone else could turn in a pot of 980lb old red, brown, white or whatever color cows since that'd make the grind 51% black hided ... to be clear, I'm not asserting anything beyond the strength of the profit motive.

WalnutCrest":1ylg25vu said:
Supa Dexta":1ylg25vu said:

I'm sure they're us a reasonable amount of rounding up, especially for animals only going into the grind.

Heck, maybe the grind needs to be 51% black, so if someone turns in a pot of 1000lb old black cows someone else could turn in a pot of 980lb old red, brown, white or whatever color cows since that'd make the grind 51% black hided ... to be clear, I'm not asserting anything beyond the strength of the profit motive.

The other CAB requirements would keep out "old black cows". You should read them.

Caustic Burno":3n8bcc4p said:
Muddy":3n8bcc4p said:
I agreed with Bright Raven, I don't see anything on CAB website that they required the animal to be 50% Angus, just stated that it has to be 51% black hided
That is the scam heII Holstein can
Qualify

Very, Very few holsteins can meet the ribeye, carcass weight, and muscling requirements of CAB.

Latest posts