Black Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn":2rk0sclu said:
Correct Bright Raven they have lost focus. If your herd manager lost his focus on your cowherd, started using aggressive bulls with bad feet and poor structure, he or she would be looking for a new place of employment right?
You are right they dont care about selling Angus bulls. That is why none of those people should be employed by CAB. The BOD of directors dont care either, heck they have guys talking about using only genomics to select bulls.. Idiots.. :) Genomics is just a tool in the box,not the only tool thou.

I am my herd manager. And I have thought about firing me. Lol

Back to the original question about Black Hereford genetics and shipping semen to Canada. We run 200 mother cows that are registered Black Hereford. We sell 65 to 70 bulls a year, primarily to commercial cattlemen that run on rough ranges. Most of our buyers are repeat buyers, because the bulls work very well. They range like a Hereford and are efficient. This makes a great cross on the current Angus base. We have used the best Hereford genetics to create our Black Herefords.

We have a lot of high percentage bulls that will throw the black baldies that you are wanting. We also have semen that is export qualified for shipping into Canada on one of our bulls, Jo Black Jack 4217. He is homozygous black, homozygous polled, and 87.5% Hereford. He is also a proven calving ease bull. There were over 400 heifers bred to him last year and the calves came out great and most of those breeders are using him on their heifers again this year.

Hope this helps.

www.jobulls.com

Jobulls":2jmn6t54 said:
Back to the original question about Black Hereford genetics and shipping semen to Canada. We run 200 mother cows that are registered Black Hereford. We sell 65 to 70 bulls a year, primarily to commercial cattlemen that run on rough ranges. Most of our buyers are repeat buyers, because the bulls work very well. They range like a Hereford and are efficient. This makes a great cross on the current Angus base. We have used the best Hereford genetics to create our Black Herefords.

We have a lot of high percentage bulls that will throw the black baldies that you are wanting. We also have semen that is export qualified for shipping into Canada on one of our bulls, Jo Black Jack 4217. He is homozygous black, homozygous polled, and 87.5% Hereford. He is also a proven calving ease bull. There were over 400 heifers bred to him last year and the calves came out great and most of those breeders are using him on their heifers again this year.

Hope this helps.

http://www.jobulls.com

You are one of the most progressive Black Hereford breeders I've seen and one I was referring to in previous posts. Have only seen your cattle in pics or videos but some very nice good quality cattle regardless of color.

Jobulls":w12vmr74 said:

Hope this helps.

http://www.jobulls.com

Thanks for posting your website.

Suggestion: You can put that website in your profile. Just go to edit profile. You will see a line for entering your website.

This is the most positive response I have had on an Internet forum. I know there is a lot of speculation on new breeds. We really are trying to breed quality animals, and our BLM and Forest permits are rough, so they provide natural culling. We are trying to use the best genetics out there.

Thanks again. Also thanks for the advice on adding the website to the profile. I will try that.

Jobulls":7l979asg said:
This is the most positive response I have had on an Internet forum. I know there is a lot of speculation on new breeds. We really are trying to breed quality animals, and our BLM and Forest permits are rough, so they provide natural culling. We are trying to use the best genetics out there.

Thanks again. Also thanks for the advice on adding the website to the profile. I will try that.

You are welcome. Its a pleasure.

Jobulls":figw8kxu said:

Well out of the 3 bulls you have currently for sale the red one is the best. He's not much but he is better than the other 2. IMO That's one thing I noticed, the other is your culling percentage is less than 50% I can't see that for a seedstock producer using rough ground. And the next thing that's not really a big deal is a lot of the bulls on your website don't have the same traditional markings as a Hereford. And did any of the bulls have a feather neck?
With all that being said I might try some 3008 out on a few cows, I like the looks of that bull.

True Grit Farms":2irdv09y said:
Jobulls":2irdv09y said:

Well out of the 3 bulls you have currently for sale the red one is the best. He's not much but he is better than the other 2. IMO That's one thing I noticed, the other is your culling percentage is less than 50% I can't see that for a seedstock producer using rough ground. And the next thing that's not really a big deal is a lot of the bulls on your website don't have the same traditional markings as a Hereford. And did any of the bulls have a feather neck?
With all that being said I might try some 3008 out on a few cows, I like the looks of that bull.

I would have stated that in a PM.

Jobulls":3ctnulws said:

:welcome: to Cattle Today by the way. Hope you stick around.

TT

TennesseeTuxedo":1gftmcek said:
Jobulls":1gftmcek said:

TT

You got to love Grit. He has no filter what so ever. What he sees, is what he says!!!!!

Bright Raven":32gzrpzl said:
TennesseeTuxedo":32gzrpzl said:
Jobulls":32gzrpzl said:

TT

You got to love Grit. He has no filter what so ever. What he sees, is what he says!!!!!
That's the way it's supposed to be , you want touchy feely go to face book or massage parlor

Bright Raven":6268mpvq said:
TennesseeTuxedo":6268mpvq said:
Jobulls":6268mpvq said:

TT

No sugar coating and you know what his opinion is. I like that. Even if I disagree with that approach. I would rather hear or read it from the source as to have it said behind my back.

elkwc":18i108rw said:
Bright Raven":18i108rw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":18i108rw said:

TT

No sugar coating and you know what his opinion is. I like that. Even if I disagree with that approach. I would rather hear or read it from the source as to have it said behind my back.

I am not criticizing. I am being literal. You got to admire his candid personality.

JO BULLS has some nice animals and has a great start in the black Hereford business. He just needs to sell his product, which he claims to be black Herefords. So first of all they should all be BLACK, and they should look like a HEREFORD. To me those are two very important things. And then the next step should be, any animal that's not homo black should be culled, and any animal with the horn gene should be culled. By him selling culls it's hurting the black Hereford breed in general. This is some of the reasons black Herefords are still a novelty breed.
I can see selling a black baldie looking bull as a black Hereford if he was a real looker like. "A923" But selling a black baldie with scurs as a black Hereford isn't helping the breed at all. This is nothing new to how I feel about a breeders responsibility to the breed they represent. I haven't beat the Black Hereford as a breed and won't. Lots of different breeds used Angus to get to where they are now. To get to the front a breeder needs a sharp eye and sharp knife.
I did notice alot of Knoll Crest Farms Hereford blood in his operation. And as a side note the Bennetts have a top notch Angus operation along with their Hereford operation.

True Grit Farms":372rki6g said:
JO BULLS has some nice animals and has a great start in the black Hereford business. He just needs to sell his product, which he claims to be black Herefords. So first of all they should all be BLACK, and they should look like a HEREFORD. To me those are two very important things. And then the next step should be, any animal that's not homo black should be culled, and any animal with the horn gene should be culled. By him selling culls it's hurting the black Hereford breed in general. This is some of the reasons black Herefords are still a novelty breed.
I can see selling a black baldie looking bull as a black Hereford if he was a real looker like. "A923" But selling a black baldie with scurs as a black Hereford isn't helping the breed at all. This is nothing new to how I feel about a breeders responsibility to the breed they represent. I haven't beat the Black Hereford as a breed and won't. Lots of different breeds used Angus to get to where they are now. To get to the front a breeder needs a sharp eye and sharp knife.
I did notice alot of Knoll Crest Farms Hereford blood in his operation. And as a side note the Bennetts have a top notch Angus operation along with their Hereford operation.

Grit, why should they all be Black Hereford? You just mentioned the Bennetts run both Angus and Herefords. What is your issue with Jobull running both Black and Traditional Herefords?

I would love for Black Hereford Association to test all animals for homozygous white face gene and eliminate all red carriers. The biggest turnoff is the solid calves out of Black Herefords.

Bright Raven":280rjk6n said:
True Grit Farms":280rjk6n said:

Grit, why should they all be Black Hereford? You just mentioned the Bennetts run both Angus and Herefords. What is your issue with Jobull running both Black and Traditional Herefords?

Jeez I have no issues with JO BULLS at all, it's his business to run as he sees fit and I wish him all the best. Raven a traditional Hereford is not a crossbred. Just because a animal looks like a Hereford doesn't mean it's a Hereford. I feel that the breeders have a responsibility to the breed to sell only the best for seed stock.
Heres an example you can relate to, look at the Simmental cow, people sell Simmental cattle with bad udders as seed stock. And Simmental cattle are known to have inferior udders, so HOW are they ever going to fix the udder issue with that business model?
I'm trying to help the cattle industry not just myself.

Muddy":3nbrywvu said:
I would love for Black Hereford Association to test all animals for homozygous white face gene and eliminate all red carriers. The biggest turnoff is the solid calves out of Black Herefords.

So a black Hereford with a mottle face is alright? I've never seen a mottle faced Hereford before. I still say a black Hereford should look like a black Hereford.

Latest posts