Black Heifers with White Face

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm assuming you mean a white face, not blaze faced, etc? You need a Hereford to get the black baldies. These days the black component can come from almost any breed, Limi, Simi, Maines, etc., but that white face is an indicator of Hereford. The original, TRUE, black baldie is a Hereford/Angus cross. It's good to see the markets in your area are looking for some Hereford influence again. They've been taking a beating for a long time.

> Does anyone know what the best
> cow/bull combination is to produce
> the white faced black cattle? I'm
> looking at changing my operation
> because the current market pays
> more for the white faced. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Please email me any advise to
> <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A> . Thanks

we use brangus bulls on our hereford cows & get baldies as well. depending on the bull (if he's heterozygous black), you may get red calves as well as black, but they are all white-faced (some more mottled, but still clearly hereford-influenced). adding just that touch of ear has done well for us.

thats what i would do too, hereford cows with a brangus bull. a little brahman only helps here in south georgia. another popular cross here is the black blaze-face cattle resulting from angus/brangus and simmental.

Hello, A great combination. We raised many "black white faces" or "white face angus" on our homestead type farm when I was growing up. These were Hereford cows and Angus bulls. Artifical insemination with angus bulls was used with hereford heifers to produce smaller easier birth calves. All the Cows(second calf and on) were bred with the on farm prize hereford bulls, but these calves ran 75-85-95lb plus at birth. This was too big for the first calf heifers. So first calf heifers were done artificially with angus sperm. The calfs were kind of a throw off because the farmer's goal was purebred Herefords. So we bought them cheap off the farmer and raised them ourselves for beef. They were great animals. Mostly black with white faces and socks. Going the other way with a Hereford bull to an Angus cow should work but.... calving could be difficult. I would not do it with an Angus heifer only a good sized Angus cow and I would check the bull for calf size. (I worked on the Hereford farm, was there for hundreds of calves. We had two Hereford bulls and their calves differed by about 15-20Lb avg. The "big bull" as we called him, based on calf size, would throw 85-95+lb calves fairly consistently. This caused more then a couple difficult calvings.) The white faces were good meat, weather tolerent(upstate new york winters) and easy to handle. Not as big as the Hereford or as good meat as the Angus, (grass fed, home raised, focused on just three animals for the best beef Angus, is the best beef I have ever had) but overall a good cross. If I ran across one today I would buy it. Good Luck,

Rick

> Does anyone know what the best
> cow/bull combination is to produce
> the white faced black cattle? I'm
> looking at changing my operation
> because the current market pays
> more for the white faced. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Please email me any advise to
> <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A> . Thanks

[email protected]

Latest posts