black headed buzzards

Help Support CattleToday:

EAT BEEF

Reaction score
I'm in southern Oklahoma and having trouble with black headed buzzards. These thing are after new calves and calving cows (no cows aren't so poor buzzards are after them). So after some phone calls I find out they are a problem and moving north out of Mexico. Dept of ag guy tells me they come in for the afterbirth and when thats gone go after the calves. Guy next to us had the rear of a heifer ripped up so bad from a bird he had to shot her. Anybody farther south or texas been dealing with these and what have you done to get rid of them? thanks

SSS

When the fish and game folks call you and tell you about a calf being attacked and leave once you get there, SSS.

Had to chase a few off new borns last month. They were pretty bold.

Saw a scary thing this past week. I was walking my back fenceline just prior to daybreak and came across a flock of them at the edge of a hay pasture. They were not feeding, so assume they had roosted there. Some were on the ground, others up in trees - stopped counting at 50 - estimate there were 75-80 birds that I could see.

I'm sorry, but I have to correct you. There is no such thing as a buzzard in North America. They are Black Vultures. I'm kinda weird, thats one of my pet peeves.

sewall":2e41fg4n said:
I'm sorry, but I have to correct you. There is no such thing as a buzzard in North America. They are Black Vultures. I'm kinda weird, thats one of my pet peeves.

Thank you, I've been calling them target practice, dept.of ag called today to tell me how I could pay $50 and wait a week to get a permit to kill them. Screw that think I'll just keep quiet from now on and keep blasting them.

EAT BEEF":1qpha2h4 said:
sewall":1qpha2h4 said:

Thank you, I've been calling them target practice, dept.of ag called today to tell me how I could pay $50 and wait a week to get a permit to kill them. Screw that think I'll just keep quiet from now on and keep blasting them.

Wise words. I talked with a warden who was not from our area of the state and he said it was illegal to shoot them here. He suggested I pepper them with bird shot to teach them to stay clear. He said this worked for them on geese problems. But then he paused and said this wouldn't work either since we now have laws against harrassing wildlife as well. I guess I'll just continue my research quietly. Nothing wrong with good science. ;-)

Jogeephus":2oedqwv9 said:
I guess I'll just continue my research quietly. Nothing wrong with good science. ;-)

Let me know how 12 gauge 3 inch magnum 2 by 4's work for you. They are made for hunting turkey. I can't seem to make up my mind if they are suitable. It might take another 10 boxes :lol:

Jogeephus":363h51nt said:
EAT BEEF":363h51nt said:
sewall":363h51nt said:

Wise words. I talked with a warden who was not from our area of the state and he said it was illegal to shoot them here. He suggested I pepper them with bird shot to teach them to stay clear. He said this worked for them on geese problems. But then he paused and said this wouldn't work either since we now have laws against harrassing wildlife as well. I guess I'll just continue my research quietly. Nothing wrong with good science. ;-)

I'm surprised you haven;t painted them bright blue so you can track them easier.

I was talking to a ranch hand neighbor that has had previous dealings with buzzards distressing cows and calves. He told me of a cage design he built that I thought I would pass on. Basically build and large (8x8) fence pen with a fenced top (roof). In the center, cut out a 12x12 hole above the bait. He said the buzzards will drop down through the hole but can't fly out with their wings extended. Basically traped until you release them or .......deal with them. Sounds like it would work. Good luck!

leboeuf":1gl0uznz said:
I was talking to a ranch hand neighbor that has had previous dealings with buzzards distressing cows and calves. He told me of a cage design he built that I thought I would pass on. Basically build and large (8x8) fence pen with a fenced top (roof). In the center, cut out a 12x12 hole above the bait. He said the buzzards will drop down through the hole but can't fly out with their wings extended. Basically traped until you release them or .......deal with them. Sounds like it would work. Good luck!

I think I'll try this Thanks for the tip

dun I'm surprised you haven;t painted them bright blue so you can track them easier.[/quote said:
Dun, that would be indigo blue. This way I can discern my critters from Zelda's. :lol: