black granite bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
8_007.jpg

heres the black granite bull calf at 6 months old.any thoughts on him.

yes he is a big old bull calf.i knew that wasnt the best pic of him to post.but it was the 1st 1 i downloaded.ive got a better pic of him.ill try to post it as well.

Central Fl Cracker":3iwipo4v said:
He is huge for only being 6 months old.

I was thinking the same thing. It's possible its the angle that makes him look that way, but it definitely makes you wonder about mature size. Other than that there's not much to say about him in this picture.

He looks huge for being 6 months. Looks to have a very sloppy sheath. Appears to slope off greatly from hooks to pins. Other than that, can't tell much without a picture taken from belt level, camera aimed directly behind front shoulder, with animal looking straight forward. Much easier to evaluate phenotype that way. OK, that was my best DOC HARRIS impersonation, but it is the truth.

dont worry ive posted all the pics im going to.an my nephew took the pics.im sure not good with a camera.

yes he wont be 7 months old till 8-4.he really is as big as the pic shows him tobe.the cottons pride i posted as well is his half brother.the calves are 10 months apart in age.their is a herd bull raiser.

Perhaps he is herd sire material; in that case I am glad to see such a thick bull!

He has way too much sheath to be a herd bull...especially in a registered Beefmaster herd. A cow herd with Brahman influence would have calves with way too much leather.

Aside from that, I'm not certain that the phenotype is there to be a really good bull. Sometimes a growthy calf is just that...a growthy calf. Sometimes a heavy calf just needs to be a good steer.

I hope my message doesn't come across negative, but I intend to scrutinize my breed of preference the same as I do every other breed...probably even more so.

I'll reserve further comment for a picture taken from an angle which would allow a better analysis. Thanks for sharing.

EC

im not upset with your opion of my bull calf.his sheath is high an tight.he is just in tall thick grass.

bigbull338":393kbstk said:
im not upset with your opion of my bull calf.his sheath is high an tight.he is just in tall thick grass.

I'd never thought about this before, but last year, in the drought, I thought some of that years calf crop didn't have enough depth of rib, but now I realised it was because the grass was short, it made their legs look long :roll: :) :)

That's a nice thick calf. I am so pleased you finally are able to get pictures posted, I can't fault your picture taking skills. I have noticed my biggest growthy bull calves seem to have the sloppiest sheaths. It is a hard trait to get rid of, but it is easier to breed out a sheath, than to get that kind of growth....that's gonna be a big bull, bigbull!

Latest posts