Black Gelbvieh Bull??

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I am picking out semen for next year and have decided on all the Reds but need help with the Black.I will be using only one black as I have just 13 blacks in my herd thus far.
The Semex catalog has Garth and Visa in it but does not list any info on them.
It needs to be polled and a calving ease bull with good ween weights.

Any suggestions along with EPD,s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I've never used either of these bulls, so my knowledge is limited.

However, I would be cautious in using Garth if you are hoping to produce replacement females or are going to breed him to heifers. His Calving ease EPD is below breed average (94 vs 104 avg), his birth weight EPD is above average (5.9 vs. 1.5 avg), and his milk EPD is low (6 vs. 18 avg). However, his carcass EPDs are good and his growth is strong (98 vs. 74 avg.). If you are looking for a "terminal" sire to use on mature British based cows, Garth appears to be a good choice.

Visa has intrigued me because of his nicely balanced EPDs. He is above average for calving ease, below breed average for birth weight by 1.5 lb. and above breed average for YW by 28 lb. at 102 (4 lb better than Garth). Though his carcass numbers aren't quite as good as Garth's, they are close to breed average.

If you are hoping to produce replacement females, and your only two choices are Visa and Garth, I'd go with Visa.

I would stay away from Garth very high birth weights and a complete lack of milk on the cow side. I really like BTI Extra 2106K, calving ease with decent growth. His milk epd should rise as I have calved out many daughters and have been very pleased with their maternal ability

Latest posts