Black Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":2tp9gun0 said:
Frankie":2tp9gun0 said:
No one buys a $6 burger at Carls, Jr. and expects a steak dinner. And those $6 burgers are good.

Are those angus hot dogs better too? Has CAB considered one of those Pepsi commercial type taste tests?

Of course they're better. :) The Usinger Olympic Frankfurters are very good. Back when Deer Creek (St Jo, TX) was in business, they served them for lunch at a production sale. We've had them for family get togethers, but shipping is kinda high. They also come in "lite". :D

backhoeboogie":2cr5f8x1 said:
dun":2cr5f8x1 said:
I think this is the longest any discussion that mentioned CAB has stayed relatively civil and hasn;t been locked

My last post was meant totally in jest and I hope folks on both sides see it that way. The debate has gone all the way down to selling hot dogs in the store shelves. That is amazing. It is also amusing to me personally.

Might be amusing to think about hot dog sales, but it's a big market. The packer pays a premium for every pound of a branded beef carcass. If they can only sell the ribeyes & T-bones as branded beef, they take a hit on the rest of the carcass. There's a market for about 300 lbs of each CAB carcass, well above other branded beef programs. Thats more money for everyone involved.

Back to the subject in the original post. HEJ has just posted their bull sale catalog and they have 6 black Charolais bulls in the sale. The best one of the 6 to me is lot #40. A couple other bulls have nice performance as well but may be a little high on the birth weight end for purebred herd sire duty. Plenty of muscle in them. Check them out: http://www.buyagro.com/cats/2010/hej10/15.htm.

Mark

DOC HARRIS":3dtdpfce said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":3dtdpfce said:
In my book the Black Or Red Charlois should be listed under CROSSBREED. just like Black Herefords,Black Simmentals, Black Shorthorns or any other PRUEBRED variety that is not pureblooded. :???: What really gets me is all the "certified Angus beef" that everyone sells.Just because it came out of a black cow dosen't make it Angus. :mad:
SHRHog- You are correct. However, according to the Certified Angus Beef requirements it does satisfy the specifications. So why the :mad: ??! With some dedicated effort, anyone has the ability to improve their marketing skills by using an Angus Bull ( of OPTIMUM quality ), IF they select the right cow genetics to which to breed the bull! Even good Hereford cows can establish a quality breeding Terminal program for increased marketing income! What is the rationale for beating your head against a wall in anger when it would be to your advantage to "join 'em" instead of battling the genetic facts? The Angus breed has MANY optimum Phenotype and Genotype traits that translate and deliver PROFIT to the bottom lines of many producers! So do OTHER breeds which have black hides!

EVERY breed has some great animals who can produce a high quality carcass, and by capitalizing on selecting a GOOD Angus bull for half of your calve's genetics you can sooth and salve your :mad:, and the bottom line, end-of-the-year PROFIT margin can look like :lol2: :nod: :banana:

DOC HARRIS
The :mad: represents the CAB requirements apparently not requiring them to be" Angus",just Angus cross.or "black hided"Why not just call it certified AMERICAN beef ? & let in any breed or color that passes the quality requirements? many Herefords,Shorthorns,Charlois ,etc. & crosses would pass. P.S. Harris is also my last name.maybe we are related somehow.

Australian":olzsg7u3 said:
What are the benefits of black Charolais? Nothing I'd say. If Angus cattle are all they are cracked up to be they shouldn't need infiltration of other breeds.
The benefit is an expanded use of the breed. Why did any breed turn black or at least have some black animals? They are trying to take advantage of this black fad that is going on. Everybody wants black animals. If you had white animals and all that the market wanted was black, would you continue on with white or would you eventually crack and start adding in black? This is a free country and people can do as they please. If you don't like black Charolais than use white and let it be.

backhoeboogie":3j17ajft said:
I prefer them white so that I know what they are when I see them.
You better get glasses. Even I can tell a cow when I see one.

Australian":3h0b33jh said:
What are the benefits of black Charolais? Nothing I'd say. If Angus cattle are all they are cracked up to be they shouldn't need infiltration of other breeds.
The benefit goes to the seller in the form of premium money paid for breeding stock by the buyer who thinks black Charolais is just the thing he needs. It's the Charolais that's being infiltrated, not Angus.

Origen has 4 black Charolais bulls. All these bulls are closely related having their origins in the HEJ and Charmaine herds. No outcross exists to these animals if you want to use a purebred black Charolais. Market acceptance by the commercial and mainstream purebred Charolais breeders is still very tentative. Demand currently is coming from people developing Angus composite lines particularly in the United States. This year will be the first time more than a token few black bulls are presented for sale in spring bull sales. It will be interesting to see what the demand is like and from where it comes-if it comes.

Latest posts