Black Charolais?

Help Support CattleToday:

dyates":3t9i2gzp said:
Looks like somebody else has jumped on the bandwagon. I know this isn't really news, but it was news to me. I haven't bothered to post a link, but search for three trees ranch. Angus and Charolais go together like peanut butter and jelly for me, but I don't know about a black charolais.

we had actually bought angus from them a few years back. but wow... black charolais? whats the world comming to.... :?:

Angus Cowman":2eytocm8 said:
Like I have been saying all along BLACK is BETTER and all of these breeds going black proves it
they just want to imitate the best :lol:

if it isn't black send it back

Now look, I said I didn't want to start another color war. But since you had to go and say that.....

What the commercial producers wanted was a Hereford with a black hide. Interpretation: If they wanted an Angus, they would have bought one. Obviously, the black Angus is what everyone thinks they want. However, they also believe they can't get what they want with a black Angus. Sooo.. by turning a Hereford black they are getting the animal they want trait-wise with the black hide everyone recognizes.

So please don't turn this into a pi*$ing match.

redcowsrule33":kca4jy22 said:
I guess there's nothing wrong with it, but in my experience, a person needs to be careful with animals being selected for color, especially early on in development. In the push for the right color other things may be neglected phenotypically and genetically. If they are doing this on a large enough scale to be able to "breed the best eat the rest" great.

alexfarms":kca4jy22 said:
I talked to someone at JN a couple years ago and he said they had some 7/8 Herefords that were solid black and the commercial producers loved them because of they possessed Hereford charactistics and had the black color.

I always wondered how long it would take for the breeds that haven't lost their color identity to finally succumb to the black plague. Does it not seem strange that they want everything about the herefords besides the color? Why do we have to disguise an animal as Angus-based to appreciate their attributes? I'm not wanting to start another color war here; it just makes my head hurt.[/quote]
Boy oh boy, I hear you!!!!! :cowboy: :???:

I saw on the American Rancher a couple nights ago where three trees had Black Charolais now.

What's interesting to me is that everyone who has been breeding for the "black" fad will one day be doing a complete 180 when the next fad comes in. I prefer raising good cows, whatever color they may be, than chasing the latest fads.

The thing that the "non-black" breeds are not taking advantage of is the fact that the average marbling score in the US has DECREASED over the last 5-10 years. Even with the black movement (because they marble better ;-) ), cattle are not grading any better than they used to and in a lot of cases grading worse. This data was presented at the 2007 BIF Convention.

brandonm_13":3pskps6h said:
What's interesting to me is that everyone who has been breeding for the "black" fad will one day be doing a complete 180 when the next fad comes in. I prefer raising good cows, whatever color they may be, than chasing the latest fads.

The third week of August 2008, the packers say 64% of the cattle coming through their plants were Angus influenced. During June, July, and August they averaged 60%. Exactly what has to happen before you consider the popularity of Angus is no longer a "fad"?

Frankie":33daio1c said:
brandonm_13":33daio1c said:

The third week of August 2008, the packers say 64% of the cattle coming through their plants were Angus influenced. During June, July, and August they averaged 60%. Exactly what has to happen before you consider the popularity of Angus is no longer a "fad"?

Does Angus influenced mean they had a black hide?

Jovid":3tkde65v said:
Frankie":3tkde65v said:
brandonm_13":3tkde65v said:

Does Angus influenced mean they had a black hide?

Absolutely

The third week of August 2008, the packers say 64% of the cattle coming through their plants were Angus influenced. During June, July, and August they averaged 60%. Exactly what has to happen before you consider the popularity of Angus is no longer a "fad"?[/quote]

Does Angus influenced mean they had a black hide?[/quote]

Absolutely[/quote]

Why don't they just say 64 % of the cattle being slaughtered have a black hide?

Frankie":34ll550d said:
brandonm_13":34ll550d said:

Angus are not that popular. It's just a great marketing scheme. Everyone wants to keep their breed, but increase their sales price by having black hided animals. Black hides are the true fad in all of this. If Angus were not a fad, then everyone would drop their breed and start raising Angus. As it is most breeds are using bulls with 1-12% Angus, which is just enough to keep the hide black.

If you really want to talk about popularity, why are black baldies considered angus influenced, when there is more than one breed that produces black hair coats(especially now). The real popularity should be for herefords. Almost all of the black baldies on the market( plus all the other baldy configurations) come from hereford.

For example... A black baldy may be 50% heredord, 48% Limousin, and 2% Angus(that would be a purebred limousin bull with a black hide). The animal is 2% Angus, yet the packers put it into their 64% as Angus influenced. What happens to the 50% hereford or 48% limousin? do they not have any influence. If not then Angus must be very prepotent. Not only did they give the black hide, but also all the rest of the genetics as well. For that matter, a black galloway crossed with a hereford(no black angus influence) will give a black baldy. Does that get thrown into the 64% of all cattle.

I'm really not against Angus as I have an Angus bull I'm using now, but I'm tired of people believing that angus is the greatest thing just because more people are using them. Heck most of the people that get into farming don't know anything about breeds, but they've heard about Angus cattle and John deere tractors, so that's what they buy. The numbers increase proportionatly and so more and more hear about them and more and more buy them. It then continues escalating from more newbies who know nothing except what they see or hear. Eventually, the farming market is flooded with newbies with red trucks, green tractors, and black cows, and while they may be perfectly happy with that setup, they have no idea that there are other breeds that may be just as good, if not better in their region (far north or deep south). It's just a system perpetuated by increasing popularity spread by newbies moving from the cities and buying farmettes, not because the breed is so much better than all other breeds.

And that is why it is a fad.

Heard there was some Black Charolais in a cattle show in Alabama this past weekend that did quite well. Anybody else heard anything?
Also I think this is where Three Trees got there Black Charolais from. ( Char-maine Ranching) (google black charolais)

Heard there was some Black Charolais in a cattle show in Alabama this past weekend that did quite well. Anybody else heard anything?

Where were they supposed to have shown? There were three in the District show in Cullman today. I was told that these particular ones came out of Canada. They had a Charolais class but these were put in the AOB class because I was also told they are not recognized by the USA as a breed yet. Im sure they had registration papers or they would have been in the commercial class.

Circle H Ranch

Latest posts