Black Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

Brad115":29c6b6ui said:
just so everyone knows that picture sure isn't a black charolais

Brad115, don't encourage them. If you have been reading the boards very long then you know that there a couple of jerks that have nothing better to do than make people feel stupid. There have been a few that have been run off, and the jerks realy get off on that. :mad: They have even been known to hijack a thread, but it makes them feell better, and smarter. So my advice to you, unless you have real thick skin, and like to feel small, just sit back, and let them continue to make fools out of themselvs. JMO

By the way, welcome to the boards, (for what it is worth).
Mac

lilmac":1afcsz3z said:
Brad115":1afcsz3z said:

Brad115, don't encourage them. If you have been reading the boards very long then you know that there a couple of jerks that have nothing better to do than make people feel stupid. There have been a few that have been run off, and the jerks realy get off on that. :mad: They have even been known to hijack a thread, but it makes them feell better, and smarter. So my advice to you, unless you have real thick skin, and like to feel small, just sit back, and let them continue to make fools out of themselvs. JMO

Mac

I wouldn't say they were jerks, just having some fun. As my dad always said, ask a silly question, your bound to get a silly answer.

So to answer this question. What do I think of black charolais, the same thing I think of black Herefords. Not much, they don't exist. :D

So to answer this question. What do I think of black charolais, the same thing I think of black Herefords. Not much, they don't exist.

Why don't you like them? Is it because they don't grow well? Is it because they don't breed back? Or is it because you just don't like the color?

A 31/32 animal (which is the case of many Black Chars) has 97% of the genes of the Charolais breed. That is certainly enough to exemplify the Charolais breed traits.

No, I don't believe the US registry should recognize them either but I sure don't fault anyone for it.

For someone to say they don't like Black Chars is silly. How many have you seen?

MikeC":w0v9lo2k said:
So to answer this question. What do I think of black charolais, the same thing I think of black Herefords. Not much, they don't exist.

Why don't you like them? Is it because they don't grow well? Is it because they don't breed back? Or is it because you just don't like the color?

A 31/32 animal (which is the case of many Black Chars) has 97% of the genes of the Charolais breed. That is certainly enough to exemplify the Charolais breed traits.

No, I don't believe the US registry should recognize them either but I sure don't fault anyone for it.

For someone to say they don't like Black Chars is silly. How many have you seen?

Didn't say I didn't like them.... said they didn't exist. :D

Call it anyway you like. It's your choice, but IMHO, black charolais and black Herefords are nothing more than commercial cattle and not worthy of discussing as a breed.

Black charolais is not a breed of its own.. There are White Yellow Red and Black its just your color preference but they are all as much Charolais as any other white "PUREBREDS"

lilmac":k03wwnd2 said:
Brad115":k03wwnd2 said:

Mac
Thank You mac I allways thought cattleman for the most part were generally nice guys and i'm glad to know that there is at least one decent man on this site... i know people have there preferances but g's some people are really ignorant about it

This is the classic example of people trying to capture CAB benifits. I do not agree with CAB or CHB programs as it brings out the the unethical breeders to produce cattle for a single trait.
Hat's off the Angus people have done a wonderful job in marketing there product.
If you can't bet them join them but quit diluting every gene pool due to inferior management of your cattle operations.

Brad115":36em4p5x said:
Black charolais is not a breed of its own.. There are White Yellow Red and Black its just your color preference but they are all as much Charolais as any other white "PUREBREDS"

from charolaisusa.com

Registration Disqualifications

1. For purebreds 31/32 and up and notwithstanding parentage verification by DNA testing:
a. color is white, light straw, or light cream with pink skin
b. animal must not have a dark nose
c. animal must not be spotted
d. animal must not have excessive dark skin pigmentation
e. animal cannot have an unidentified sire or dam

2. For Charolais-cross under 31/32:
a. except for the first cross, the sire and dam must be registered or recorded in AICA herdbook
b. dam or sire on first cross must be registered Charolais not less than 31/32
c. sire having less than the 3/4 Charolais breeding is not eligible for recordation

Does seem as though I did error in my thinking, they are accepting Red registrations now. Didn't read it all, but it's new on me. Didn't see a word about black though.

It's all I've got to say on the subject, I wish you the best of luck with your cross bred commercial cattle. :D

bgm":21vxtqow said:
Brad115":21vxtqow said:

from charolaisusa.com

Registration Disqualifications

1. For purebreds 31/32 and up and notwithstanding parentage verification by DNA testing:
a. color is white, light straw, or light cream with pink skin
b. animal must not have a dark nose
c. animal must not be spotted
d. animal must not have excessive dark skin pigmentation
e. animal cannot have an unidentified sire or dam

2. For Charolais-cross under 31/32:
a. except for the first cross, the sire and dam must be registered or recorded in AICA herdbook
b. dam or sire on first cross must be registered Charolais not less than 31/32
c. sire having less than the 3/4 Charolais breeding is not eligible for recordation
maybe that was true at one time but get with the times man there are quite a few black charolais registered as Purebreds so is the registry just slacking????? and all the animals that are not white are recognized as so by the association... But i'm not goiing to try to explain it to your arragont ignorant self anymore

IL Rancher":2tg9yaca said:
US registry is not accepting black or red Chars... only breed color.. Canadian association is different... Differnt associations, different rules Brad

oh ic i am sorry i thought they would be the same

IL Rancher":2f20tz2d said:
US registry is not accepting black or red Chars... only breed color.. Canadian association is different... Differnt associations, different rules Brad

Reds are accepted. Years ago, you use to see some that were straw colored ( a light red). There was a note on the pedigree that they were red factored. Many breeders selected away from them.

Too much emphasis has been placed on black hides. These cattle are not as heat tolerant as red or yellow cattle in the southern part of this country. Make your cows environmentally adapted and if you have to have black calves, use a bull to get them.

Latest posts