Black Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2":3009z38l said:
If the local bull buyers want black polled bulls, I can't fault a breeder for giving them what they want. I don't think anybody thinks that some paternal growth and performance was not lost during the switchover.

I know these folks they are from all of about 15 miles away from the home place. The local area has a high demand for polled black bulls but if they don't LOOK like straightbred angus they'll bring about the same as the reds but still about $3-5 more than the whites and yellows and greys and about $15-25 more than the hereford calves. The Laue's have had red charolais for a long time brought them in from Canada or something to that effect. We've never considered buying a bull from them and don't know that a whole lot of people really do in our immediate area.

polledbull":1fz1s8f3 said:
I think it sad that every breed has let the market force them to breed thier cattle black. It wasnt enough that in most cases the colored cattle were already superior. There is no advantage in performance by just being black hided , infact usually you have a less performing breed when you breed them just to get them black. It is also sad that the buyers wont tell the whole story , they made us think that they only wanted black cattle ,now you have alot of calves out there that are straight breed "BLACK" that will hardly ever reach a decent weaning weight. but " Hey ,they are BLACK, that makes them better ".I see alot of colored cattle in feedlots . All cattle dont have to be black ,and dont ever think they do. They do however need to be good. regardless of color.
Just my very outspoken opinion

well said ;-)

Hill Creek Farm":akvllxxf said:
Before long, every breed will be black. Thats to bad. Take care. :(
Hill Creek - you seem to come up with the most Cockamamie, Screwball, tangental, spaced-out comments I've read in a long time. How can you perceive some of your postulations with logic and reason? :roll:

DOC HARRIS

All and All, the Black Charolais, even inside the charolais breed is not looked on very well... the Laue's have not made additional friends in the US raising Black Charolais. P.S> the first black/red animal came out of Canada, Brent Laue bought a flush out her.. and came Doc Joe... Named after the former AICA president in protest... The Laue's have been a "Front Runner" in the cattle world, breeding Pemonite cattle, charolais, angus, and quarter horses... They are trying to develope cattle that fit in the Canada's industry where 80% of the cattle are white or smokes... yes 80%. With all this in mind you have to look at there accomplishments, Fame, won 7 of 10 Kasnas Bull tests through 80's/90's... Lester markets 50-100 bulls yearly. The Yellow rings arround the eyes and nose are call Haylows .....

Jake":2qs9aewg said:
Brandonm2":2qs9aewg said:
If the local bull buyers want black polled bulls, I can't fault a breeder for giving them what they want. I don't think anybody thinks that some paternal growth and performance was not lost during the switchover.

I know these folks they are from all of about 15 miles away from the home place. The local area has a high demand for polled black bulls but if they don't LOOK like straightbred angus they'll bring about the same as the reds but still about $3-5 more than the whites and yellows and greys and about $15-25 more than the hereford calves. The Laue's have had red charolais for a long time brought them in from Canada or something to that effect. We've never considered buying a bull from them and don't know that a whole lot of people really do in our immediate area.

Latest posts