Black Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
(Moved from another thread)

Okay, I'll admit to some ignorance on this one. How in heck did a Charolais ever become black while remaining pure/full/straight blooded?

Most every Charolais X Black Angus, or any Charolais X black bovine I have ever seen resulted in a smokey gray or chocolate color.

Would someone please enlighten me?

Katherine

Breed the greys enough times and you can lose the diluter gene. That would be the only way I can see. BTW there are also red Charolais

dun

The Charolais breed in North America was "bred up". Essentially, you were allowed to take a purebred bull (or cow) and cross breed with another breed, then keep crossing the resulting animals with purebred animals until you bred up to the percentage that was considered purebred. I am not sure what that percentage is, but the result is that we can breed for red, tan, black, white faced and line back Charolais and get them. I believe that the French Charolais are only white.

Doesn't explain how it was done, but here is a site that has both blacks and reds: http://www.laueranch.com

If you find an answer to your question, let us know. I'm curious myself. I may do a little research tomorrow, but right now I'm beat and am going to bed. Good night all.

Caustic Burno":2hye4rua said:
Another Angus wantabee or poor mangement. If you can't beat them join them quit screwing up all the breeds with Angus genetics.

well said. why turn them black, because some hobby farmer thinks they look neat?? and will match his black Angus cows? its got me?

All the feedyards, slaughterhouses, salebarns and auctions must be run by hobbyfarmers then, as black hides consistently bring more money.

Besides havent you heard "Black is beautiful!"

I saw a deal on RFD-TV about a guy in Canada that has been breeding them black. He used cattle with red genes and kept breeding them until he could get a black one. Then he would breed the blacks to blacks. He would also breed some of the reds to smokey colored cattle to see if he could get a black one.

As stated earlier, some of the Charolais cattle in North America are percentage. Many Charolais breeders have used Simmental and Limousin to capture the good traits from those breeds. And Charolais breeders have done like most every breed, figure out out to breed them up to blacks.

I am sure if you search hard enough, you can find someone that really knows how they got them black. Most of what I know about it was from the show on RFD.

Black Charolais.... now I've heard everything.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
When are people gonna wake up and realise black ain't necessarily good??

3MR":3w51jaqi said:
All the feedyards, slaughterhouses, salebarns and auctions must be run by hobbyfarmers then, as black hides consistently bring more money.

Are you saying that black Gelbvieh have the same carcus atributes as Angus?? just because they are black doesnt mean they grade ;-) thats why they have CAB. I thought you knew this, its common knowledge. :lol:

VanC":1lqd77x6 said:
Doesn't explain how it was done, but here is a site that has both blacks and reds: http://www.laueranch.com

If you find an answer to your question, let us know. I'm curious myself. I may do a little research tomorrow, but right now I'm beat and am going to bed. Good night all.

the black bull on this link has a pink/light colored nose. interesting.

on the link look at BEAU IVO= fullfrench ;-) compared to the PB black Charolaise bulls :shock: . The PB BLK bulls look poor. Thier fullfrench Charolaise look far superior.

When Charolais bulls came into the U.S. from Mexico (the Pugibet Herd) they were mostly bred to Brahma in Texas because there were no Char cows here at that time.

Foot and Mouth disease was a big problem then and the quarantine times were preventing cow imports.

The Charbray registry allowed breeding up 5 generations to reach purebred status. This practice still stands today in the AICA but they must be pinknose and have a light colored switch and hair. A light "Straw" color is allowed.

In other words, I can take a holstein cow, breed her to a Char bull and register the "Heifer" calf (NO BULLS) as 1/2. It will be prominently stamped on the paper as such. Breeding that heifer calf will fetch me a 3/4, and breeding that heifer calf will get me a 7/8, and breeding that calf will produce a 15/16, then on to a 31/32 which will be purebred.

The final result will be 97% Charolais genetics. On very rare occasions a calf may be born that is not completely white (Buckskin Colored). That calfs papers will be marked with "RF" before the number, which stands for "Red Factor". (A diluter gene anomaly)

The Canadian Association allows color variations (Black and Red) animals to be marked with a purebred status. These animals will have at least 97% Charolais genetics but might retain the color variances. Black or Red.

I suppose? there is a use for Black Charolais for the simple reason of keeping a crop of crossbred calves uniform in color due to the dominance of the black coat.

All Fullblood Chars are marked as "Full French" and will be horned.

There is a big push by a few breeders to allow black and red Chars in the U.S. (AICA) registry. The vote comes up by the Board almost every year.

I personally don't care if they are purple or blue, but need to all be the same color.

In a former life I worked for a moron who had an impressive herd of Charolais cows - at least impressive by Terminal breed spec's. I was helping his son run a group of cows through the chute, when 2 big black, curly-haired heifers came through. I quickly joked that it was good to see them getting some decent genetics on the place. He replied - just as quickly - that they were purebred Charolais. As you can imagine, a heated argument ensued.

I also had a good one with another purebred breeder when I told him his blacks were crossbred mongrels. Cooler heads prevailed in the end, but neither one of us really won the debate. As far as I'm concerned, it's a crock o'shite. Sure the 'breeds' of today were bred up decades ago as well, but I think we're at the point where we don't need anymore of that.

topsquar":9a21oznk said:
3MR":9a21oznk said:

Are you saying that black Gelbvieh have the same carcus atributes as Angus?? just because they are black doesnt mean they grade ;-) thats why they have CAB. I thought you knew this, its common knowledge. :lol:

No, Im saying just because someone likes black cows it doesnt make them a hobby farmer. :lol: :lol:

Black charolais, huh? Does that rank right up there with "black herefords?"

I'm really not trying to start something here, truly I'm not...but, seems to me if the argument against "black herefords" is that "hereford" is synonymous with the color red, then that same argument could be applied to "charolais" being synonymous with the color white.

Obviously I've missed something here, correct?

Alice

Alice":crvxh0kr said:
Black charolais, huh? Does that rank right up there with "black herefords?"

I'm really not trying to start something here, truly I'm not...but, seems to me if the argument against "black herefords" is that "hereford" is synonymous with the color red, then that same argument could be applied to "charolais" being synonymous with the color white.

Obviously I've missed something here, correct?

Alice

If Hereford's are synonymous with being red, are Angus synonymous with being black?

If so, where do Red Angus fit?

After all, they are from the same gene pool.

I think it all has to do with what the breed registry is and isnt willing to accept. I know you cant breed up to Angus and I dont believe you can breed up to Hereford, but as has been stated, you can breed up to Charolais. This would give you more flexibility in color.