Black charolais?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9
some people will be mad at me but, Eclipse bull(s) and Aberdeen female dont have a true black gene they have "wild" gene that gives them there blackish color but if you look close they will have lite brown around their nose, ears and on their backs.The wild gene is "E+" where the true black gene is ED.
It really frustrates me that they call them black when they're not, but I frustrate other Char breeders that I have black chars, but we have worked hard at it for years and have not promoted them until they could compete with our other chars in type, performance etc. and they will and we cull very hard.

BWA
yes that is our website.

CMR,
I see what you mean about the wild gene-we have the same thind in our Longhorns. If the animal isn't solid black it has the wild gene where it will show the brown usually on the back, around the ears and nose. It's usually more noticable in our cattle in the summer when they slick off.

Here are a couple of recent photographs of our homozygous black charolais bull named Scorch.

P1000248.JPG

P1000243.JPG

SCfarms":qvgl0xkh said:
A black Charolais I never could emagine that. Now we have black simm. black simbra what is nexted.

How about "Black Sheep"? Oops Forgot, they been popping up in white sheep herds forever.

I love to buy white/tan/smoke/yellow/gray Charolais stockers. They do better for me than most of the blacks.

When I resell them as heavy feeders, the crew will always sort off the "good blacks" (I get stuck with a few blacks buying mixed color groups) but the heavier colored ones sell for more $ and almost the same $/cwt.

If they discount Charolais where you sell - - I think you need to find a better location for your marketing!

Frankly, I'm a little surprised at this string.

Most of you don't realize that there are probably only handful of FULLBLOOD Charolais in the USA, ie 100%.

Nearly all of them have been graded up since the major importations of the 60's, 70's. It is just that since Charolais where white, they were usually graded up from Herefords, rather than Black baldies like the rest of the Continentals, so black wasn't a prevalent color like it was in the other Continentals.

Also, Charolais where the first Continentals well documented here in the USA, they actually arrived from MExico in 1936, I believe, as opposed to the other Continentals in the 60's, 70's.

mtnman

Latest posts