Black Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

Never did the cross personally but guys around me that were riding on the beefmaster train ,, then got aboard the Charolais express in the late eighties did.. Made some great cattle..there's some crosses that just click. And that one does ..

Muddy":2d2a4df3 said:
elkwc":2d2a4df3 said:
Muddy":2d2a4df3 said:
Most Charolais I encountered are usually bigger and big boned ones.

Muddy they used to be around here. My BIL fed cattle for many years. Him and other feeders have told me in the last ten years the Char cattle have lost some of the qualities that feeders liked and what made them desired to feed. They say the average Char around here don't feed as well as they did in the past. I know the breeder that is a neighbor's old bulls weighed 2,400-2,800. The main Char breeder I know in our area I've been told says their bulls should mature 2,000-2,250. Quite a drop. Still nice cattle but not what they were in the past and I'm told not as much growth. I know for certain the number of commercial breeders using Char bulls has decreased in this area.
I know what you meant by that. Just like Black Angus, I've seen more hatchet azzed Charolais bulls being sold to commercial ranches than any quality Charolais. Big boned but not much meat on them.
That's really back assward! slightly less bone and more meat makes sense.. Unless you've got a market for chew bones for dogs

My market here is for polled white charolais that don't bring calving difficulty (not the same thing as calving ease) and still have good growth. The daily gains we have today with our herd have nothing to compare with the ones from 20-30 years ago. That can be said for most of today races but in the case of the charolais race maybe the frame and muscular appearance is smaller but I thing we improve our animals in the sense that they mature way earlier then in the pass. We don't want cows that weight 2000lbs or more!

Latest posts