Black Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

alftn

Reaction score
What is it about BLACK cattle that bothers you ???????? Please feel free to comment......

They don't bother me too often as there are no black cattle on my place. When I go to neighbors' places they both me because they always seem to be the toughest SOB's to work with. When I come online they bother me because so many think they are THE cattle to have. When I go to the salebarn they annoy the he$$ out of me because the animals going through are not very good looking animals and yet they still bring good money because "black cattle = Angus = money makers". This push for black is ruining a lot of breeds. Everybody is converting to black just to cash in. It seems people are more worried about getting the hide color right rather than breed for a structurally correct animal. Well that's a start.

I dont think there is any interest for young cattle people.That really bothers me for my kids.Yesterday i seen 15 black cows and a bull all in a pond breeding .The bull was riding until there heads went under the water that kinda bothered me.But then i remembered the guy that owns them is loaded with cash.So it didnt bother me to bad.

I have 4 black recipient cows running with my Herefords. They have done a very good job raising the calves. They aren't purebred anything, i am sure. Probably Angus/ Limousin/Simmental. In the winter, if I put a hay bale out in their round bale feeder, they absolutely buried their heads in that bale until it is gone. How much more are they eating than the Herefords is hard to say, but they are eating all they can stuff into themselves. They are the first to find a problem with a fence. In the heat, when I come home in the evenings all four of them will just be standing at the water tank while all of the Herefords are out grazing...I am not sure how much of a problem that is or will be, but it seems pretty odd to me. I just think they are hard and expensive cattle to handle and feed. I really, honestly don't like them. They act more like dairy cattle than beef cattle.

I'm not a fan of black cows,but do have a few. They gang up in the pond for half the day. But as hot as its been here, I dont blame them.

alexfarms":pbh2ol7v said:
I have 4 black recipient cows running with my Herefords. They have done a very good job raising the calves. They aren't purebred anything, i am sure. Probably Angus/ Limousin/Simmental. In the winter, if I put a hay bale out in their round bale feeder, they absolutely buried their heads in that bale until it is gone. How much more are they eating than the Herefords is hard to say, but they are eating all they can stuff into themselves. They are the first to find a problem with a fence. In the heat, when I come home in the evenings all four of them will just be standing at the water tank while all of the Herefords are out grazing...I am not sure how much of a problem that is or will be, but it seems pretty odd to me. I just think they are hard and expensive cattle to handle and feed. I really, honestly don't like them. They act more like dairy cattle than beef cattle.

My neighbor ask me the other day HOW my cows were always grazing and his (across the road and black) are in his pond. I just about have him talked into a hereford bull to try ;-)

I told him mine stand in the pond too.
alftn":pbh2ol7v said:
What is it about BLACK cattle that bothers you ???????? Please feel free to comment......

If black cattle would act like my herfs I would run a black bull on my cows for commercial and A-I everthing else. I have had enough black bulls and the little deer calves from them. I will A-I to a black bull and run my herf bulls.DISPOSITION

novaman":2msjop7r said:
They don't bother me too often as there are no black cattle on my place. When I go to neighbors' places they both me because they always seem to be the toughest SOB's to work with. When I come online they bother me because so many think they are THE cattle to have. When I go to the salebarn they annoy the he$$ out of me because the animals going through are not very good looking animals and yet they still bring good money because "black cattle = Angus = money makers". This push for black is ruining a lot of breeds. Everybody is converting to black just to cash in. It seems people are more worried about getting the hide color right rather than breed for a structurally correct animal. Well that's a start.

What Nova said, and the fact mine are all a little different to look at.

I love black cows and red ones mine are limousin & limflex, cross them with herefords and they make great baldies.

I believe cattle should be raised on their own merit. The quality or volume of the beef, or their calf rearing ability. I think breeders trying to raise breeds that are not normally black are, at hart, trying to be deceitful and riding on the shirt tails of others. I think that people paying more for black hair is a perfect example of ignorance.
I will say that black does not do as well in the south. I have even seen brangus bobbing in the pond.
I never paid much attention to hair color on my plate or my herd as long as they have some ear. On the other hand if I lived to the north I may be raising nothing but black. Do like Hereford better though.

novatech":1ywa3vp8 said:
I believe cattle should be raised on their own merit. The quality or volume of the beef, or their calf rearing ability. I think breeders trying to raise breeds that are not normally black are, at hart, trying to be deceitful and riding on the shirt tails of others. I think that people paying more for black hair is a perfect example of ignorance.
I will say that black does not do as well in the south. I have even seen brangus bobbing in the pond.
I never paid much attention to hair color on my plate or my herd as long as they have some ear. On the other hand if I lived to the north I may be raising nothing but black. Do like Hereford better though.
Any cow that won't get into the water when it's 107 degrees is stupid...no matter what the color. She don't have to try and show me how tuff she is. I might get in with her. :nod:

Nothing bothers me about them. It's pretty easy to figure out why other people are bothered by them- they don't like being outsold.

haase":3lnrnfoa said:
I love black cows and red ones mine are limousin & limflex, cross them with herefords and they make great baldies.

Got my first black limflex calf coming in 30 days. Hoping for a bull I can put in the bull test. Love what the angus bull I sold to the red limi fella did for his calves so I ai'd some angus cows with some red limi semen. But I suppose that's something of a thread steal isn't it . . . sorry

I really like my brangus and they're black and slick. Got an F-1 Brahman Char cross that is a nice gal. I like my brindles too. Got a few (very few) hybrid black angus that came out of HBs without me knowing what the dam was bred too. They are slick so some have hung with me. I think cypress refers to these types as A+'s but I consider them to be B -'s. I even got a skunk back cream pinz cross cow that aint doing so bad. She had her first calf and couple of months back. Calf is looking good so she may stay too.

Nothing wrong with all those black brangus ladies and bull.

angus9259":vtupulsc said:
haase":vtupulsc said:

Got my first black limflex calf coming in 30 days. Hoping for a bull I can put in the bull test. Love what the angus bull I sold to the red limi fella did for his calves so I ai'd some angus cows with some red limi semen. But I suppose that's something of a thread steal isn't it . . . sorry

Angus I'm going to breed a few bangus ladies to a black limi bull this winter. Can't wait to see how they come along.

TexasBred":3e6e6605 said:
angus9259":3e6e6605 said:
haase":3e6e6605 said:

Angus I'm going to breed a few bangus ladies to a black limi bull this winter. Can't wait to see how they come along.
they should be dandies,,

Latest posts