black cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've just been reading some of the messages posted. In one a comment was made about everyone going to black cows. While at the local auction I've also noticed that the black calves and yellow calves seem to sell better than most of the others. Why is this? Just curious.

[email protected]

Once upon a time in a land far far away, the only cattle that were black were angus. Everybody started using angus bulls to increase carcass qualities. To this day, black means carcass qualities. Now the fact part, once you dilute an animal far enough to be recognized as another breed, about all that is left from the angus is the color.

dunmovin farms

> I've just been reading some of the
> messages posted. In one a comment
> was made about everyone going to
> black cows. While at the local
> auction I've also noticed that the
> black calves and yellow calves
> seem to sell better than most of
> the others. Why is this? Just
> curious.

I believe black cattle sell better because of a massive trend to Angus beef. Think about resturants' menus. They always say %100 Angus beef. I have never seen "featuring %100 pure Simmental steaks. Angus have been powerfully marketed. They supposedly have the best marbling within the meat of any major breed. Finally, the color black is associated with the Angus and therefore peak more interest at a sale. This is only my opinion.

> I've just been reading some of the
> messages posted. In one a comment
> was made about everyone going to
> black cows. While at the local
> auction I've also noticed that the
> black calves and yellow calves
> seem to sell better than most of
> the others. Why is this? Just
> curious.

[email protected]

Red Angus have a certified program that calves either sired by registered bulls or out of registered cows can be tagged with ear tags identifing them. They are then eligible for the certified red angus and angus beef programs. There are special certified red angus sales all across the nation where buyers reconize these calves and pay premiums.
> Once upon a time in a land far far
> away, the only cattle that were
> black were angus. Everybody
> started using angus bulls to
> increase carcass qualities. To
> this day, black means carcass
> qualities. Now the fact part, once
> you dilute an animal far enough to
> be recognized as another breed,
> about all that is left from the
> angus is the color.

> dunmovin farms

[email protected]

Last year I was talking to a Limousin breeder who also was active in the show ring. Dad was buying a red bull from him, and we were talking about that color thing. As we walked through our herd, he pointed out one major difference between the blacks and the red. With a black animal, you have very little that distracts you from the conformation... black looks all the same. However, on the red Limousins you could see every color and there was that light colored underbelly... made it easy to be distracted by more details being noticed. My red heifers always seem to have curly hair, while the black ones look so very smooth. Some of this black thing, it seems, is the perception of what you are looking at. I agree with the black angus lobby influence... they have really done their marketing.

[email protected]

Latest posts