Black buzzards got one

Help Support CattleToday:

I have lost two calves the cows stomped to death trying to protect the new calf as the buzzards were after the afterbirth. I have another one that is in bad shape that made it, but will bring nothing at the stockyard. Both calves were broke all to pieces from being stomped. Not a good site to see a new born calf with legs broke, crushed and have to finish them off.

Does anyone use LGD's for this? I've got a Pyrenees that patrols the pasture and a heeler terrier mix that chases with bad intentions everything she don't think belongs around. We don't have the black buzzards yet but I'm sure they'll be here soon. They're not too far south from what I hear. Hoping the dogs will help when they day comes.

Had a calf born last week and I seen the cow down over the hill from the garden. Had 5 vultures around her. Not sure what happened but 3 of the cultures has bled to death by the time I got down there.

A cow had a calf, while I was at work. She was out in her backend. Not bad, she could get around a little. Them kind usually get up. Black buzzards ate her vulva, and and some her vagina. I just went ahead and ended it. Not sure if the calf died from them, or born dead.
Sorry Bigfoot. That's terrible. I hate those vile things. It doesn't take them long to swoop in when something like that happens. We don't see the red ones nearly as much as we used to. Mostly the black ones around. I've about run over several in the road eating road kill the last few days. They don't move til the last minute, and don't seem to have the fear of humans the way the red ones do.

Sorry that happened Bigfoot They are bad, we have lost a few calves to them over the years, We try to make them know they are not welcome, but it's impossible to be close by all the time.
@BFE when I had sheep, I had Great Pyrenees, the male dog would not even let a blackbird land in the field. The problem is that the dogs love to roam and it's about impossible or it was for me to keep them in where they need to be. We have a female Blue Heeler thats always on guard for anything be it walking or flying around the yard. She will see buzzards or hawks flying and run after them barking and growling.

Sorry that happened Bigfoot They are bad, we have lost a few calves to them over the years, We try to make them know they are not welcome, but it's impossible to be close by all the time.
@BFE when I had sheep, I had Great Pyrenees, the male dog would not even let a blackbird land in the field. The problem is that the dogs love to roam and it's about impossible or it was for me to keep them in where they need to be. We have a female Blue Heeler thats always on guard for anything be it walking or flying around the yard. She will see buzzards or hawks flying and run after them barking and growling.
I have a female, her circle is less than a half mile either way. I prefer female dogs, they're way less trouble.

I have a female, her circle is less than a half mile either way. I prefer female dogs, they're way less trouble.
I had a male and two females, they once were spotted 10 miles from here, gone for 3 days and came back. That was the end of that project. Kept a male pup from the last litter, pretty much just for a pet, as I had sold out of the sheep business.

Does anyone use LGD's for this? I've got a Pyrenees that patrols the pasture and a heeler terrier mix that chases with bad intentions everything she don't think belongs around. We don't have the black buzzards yet but I'm sure they'll be here soon. They're not too far south from what I hear. Hoping the dogs will help when they day comes.
A good friend of mine sent me a pic of one last spring sitting in a tree in Knox county. That's only 20minutes south of me. Haven't seen any yet, but I studied every buzzard I see. To see if they have a red head of not.

I had a male and two females, they once were spotted 10 miles from here, gone for 3 days and came back. That was the end of that project. Kept a male pup from the last litter, pretty much just for a pet, as I had sold out of the sheep business.
A sheep neighbor had some like that, their range took in miles of territory. I got my female from another neighbor (no sheep), who I bought out his herd and rented the farm. He has a male and a couple females left. They don't roam. He's partially disabled and has a home based business, and trains them from pups to not wander. I've seen the worst, and the best of the breed. Or maybe it's the sheep!

A good friend of mine sent me a pic of one last spring sitting in a tree in Knox county. That's only 20minutes south of me. Haven't seen any yet, but I studied every buzzard I see. To see if they have a red head of not.
Had one die from a 1/4" hole in it's chest a year ago, only one I've seen. Don't know what it hit, but it must of been fast.;)

I have a Lacy Dog that chases birds with a passion. I've sent him in on vultures and he's protected the calf, cow and run those off. He's my cow dog, too, so he doesn't stay with the cows. I've seen him leap over the calf and cow to get a buzzard.

Don't know what started it, but the first black head buzzards I saw were about a dozen of them standing under a cow pulling her insides out. It was a terrible site and I have hated them ever since. Those were 2 hours from me then, but within a couple of years they are all over us! They are very aggressive and are known to take animals down, if they can't find one already down.

About three years ago, there was a colony of them overwintered in Seneca County Ohio. Maybe 30 miles south of Lake Erie. Must have been 50 of the devils, apparently they didn't like the winter climate as they haven't tried it since but they come back every year. I lost a cow once to them, her hind end was all ate out so I put her down. I didn't see them but they left feathers at the scene.

Latest posts