Black bull to be proud of?

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
So I nearly had an argument with the agent who buys and sells cattle for me. He was on the farm today looking at some cows and when he asked what breed a cow was in calf to I said Jersey.

Agent: "or maybe Angus."
Me: no. I didn't have any angus bulls here last year.
Agent: yes you did. That black one.
Me: that black bull was a Jersey
Agent: I thought he was an Angus
Me (horrified): they were both Jersey. You didn't sell him as an Angus, did you?
Agent hesitates
Me: you did put both bulls in the same pen at the sale??
Agent: No...

He did remember who bought them both, and they're destined for a plate, not to serve anyone's cows again. Told him he was going to have to do a helluva lot of damage control if he'd sold that bull to someone who wanted an Angus.
Talk about buyer beware! As for the agent, he had the ancestry of both bulls detailed to him by me before they were sold, there's no excuse for him not knowing what breed they were. (3/4 Jersey 1/4 Holstein Friesian)

These are the bulls we were talking about
one_year_old.jpg

Pringle_and_Corom_January.jpg

That agent is much more likely to live closer to me than you cattleman200! I will be cautious!

I sell pure Murray Greys and when ( very rarely) they go through the sale yards when they look good they get called Charolais by the agents, but the runty, poorly reared MG x dairy calves always get called Murray Greys, because the colour sticks!

Regolith-he is a very black Jersey-but then his Jersey conformation shines through :D

In my opinion - you producers from "Down Under" area should be very cautious about what your "Agents" know and what they tell other producers about your cattle! They have the ability to "Make" or Break" you AND your reputation!

DOC HARRIS

In the states, your agent would be praised for his marketing abilities.

Not only do we try to pass other breeds off as angus, but the black Simmental/limousin/Charolais/Hereford or whatever are guaranteed to be angus through the Certified Angus Beef program.

Thank goodness there is a certification!

djinwa":1gwb8qyo said:

Not only do we try to pass other breeds off as angus, but the black Simmental/limousin/Charolais/Hereford or whatever are guaranteed to be angus through the Certified Angus Beef program.

do you know that there are more requirements than just black hide for CAB?

djinwa":ozowhetl said:

There is no guarantee associated with CAB.

Edit: other than quality

I thought All agents/buyers were seasoned cattle men that can eye ball cattle & mistakes like this were unheard of... too funny...

back2dfuture":110it74r said:
I thought All agents/buyers were seasoned cattle men that can eye ball cattle & mistakes like this were unheard of... too funny...

I think my very first thread on this forum was posting a bull photo to see if you seasoned guys would notice he wasn't angus - and you all told me just that! I wasn't using the agent who brought me *that* bull any more.

This one went through Rongotea in Jan, Waihou - you may well know the agent, he's based in PN.
I shudder to think that he was either mixed with a pen of blacks or standing alone in front of a card saying "regolith - angus ylg bull" even though he's fully recorded dairy and DNA-profiled. There goes my reputation!
He's showing a lot more of the Friesian than I expected from his looks when he was born.

I actually do know a couple of the Rongotea agents regolith! I hope it wasn't the one that called on me the other day.
Actually he does look like some of the poorer black animals that get posted on here as being Angus!
Luckily our market isn't quite so focused on black hides over here and we get paid on weight if they go to the 'works' rather than their colour and the works buyers are just looking for weight on the hooks.