Black British whites

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
Anyone has experiences with full solid black British whites? I'm look at three yearling heifers for sale and was wondering if there's pro/cons.

Ky hills":15hfibrv said:
Don't know anything about the white ones, but sure why not seems every other breed has a black hided variant.

Just being sarcastic. I have a Maine/ Angus bull over Char and charX mommas. Some calves come out black. I was getting at all of the breeds that were not black trying to get on the black band wagon. Black Herford ring a bell?

Txpiney":23jkfczl said:
Ky hills":23jkfczl said:
Don't know anything about the white ones, but sure why not seems every other breed has a black hided variant.

Just being sarcastic. I have a Maine/ Angus bull over Char and charX mommas. Some calves come out black. I was getting at all of the breeds that were not black trying to get on the black band wagon. Black Herford ring a bell?

I was just being sarcastic too, but it is the reality that many breeds purposely went to black hided cattle, and some "breeds" started up outside of their respective breed organizations and are not recognized by the original associations such as the Black Hereford "breed". I am not knocking any of them whatever floats the boat, though I prefer to use a purebred bull, however I used a home raised Angus X Beefmaster bull last year just with a few cows.

WalnutCrest":tnt280ky said:
... not every breed acknowledges a "bred black" bastardized version. :)

Correct, neither Charolais or Herefords recognize the black hided version. I haven't heard black Aubracs yet either ;-) .
American Angus Association doesn't even recognize the naturally occurring Red Angus.

Ky hills":1lxap15p said:
Txpiney":1lxap15p said:
Ky hills":1lxap15p said:

Just being sarcastic. I have a Maine/ Angus bull over Char and charX mommas. Some calves come out black. I was getting at all of the breeds that were not black trying to get on the black band wagon. Black Herford ring a
I was just being sarcastic too, but it is the reality that many breeds purposely went to black hided cattle, and some "breeds" started up outside of their respective breed organizations and are not recognized by the original associations such as the Black Hereford "breed". I am not knocking any of them whatever floats the boat, though I prefer to use a purebred bull, however I used a home raised Angus X Beefmaster bull last year just with a few cows.
How did the calves come out, or have they even hit the ground yet? I've got a 8 month old bull that I'm developing to see how he turns out. I really like him so far. Thinking about using him over a few cows. Wish I could post pics of him

Txpiney":7u0e8xpf said:
Ky hills":7u0e8xpf said:
Txpiney":7u0e8xpf said:
Just being sarcastic. I have a Maine/ Angus bull over Char and charX mommas. Some calves come out black. I was getting at all of the breeds that were not black trying to get on the black band wagon. Black Herford ring a
How did the calves come out, or have they even hit the ground yet? I've got a 8 month old bull that I'm developing to see how he turns out. I really like him so far. Thinking about using him over a few cows. Wish I could post pics of him

Just had him with a couple of heifers that had calved at about the time they should have been being bred. So one got bred back to that bull and one didn't. The one calf that we got from him is a pretty good heifer calf. Both the bull and cow were BWF and the calf is solid black. She has just slightly longer ears and a little bit of navel.

Ky hills":kseaaabn said:
Txpiney":kseaaabn said:

Just had him with a couple of heifers that had calved at about the time they should have been being bred. So one got bred back to that bull and one didn't. The one calf that we got from him is a pretty good heifer calf. Both the bull and cow were BWF and the calf is solid black. She has just slightly longer ears and a little bit of navel.

Glad to hear it went well and got a nice calf. I THINK this bull could throw some nice calves, but only time will tell. Thanks for the reply

cattleman99":26xdmqzg said:
Black Charolais are recognized in Canada. Pretty sure they can be registered.

Yes, in Canada the Black Charolais is recognized and can be registered. The US Charolais Association will register the Red's but not the black, even if they are from purebred animals.

Here in the USA, we have registered some of the Black Charolais, and their composite with Angus they are calling an Equalizer!

cbcr":11jiqfer said:
cattleman99":11jiqfer said:

Yes, in Canada the Black Charolais is recognized and can be registered. The US Charolais Association will register the Red's but not the black, even if they are from purebred animals.

Here in the USA, we have registered some of the Black Charolais, and their composite with Angus they are calling an Equalizer!

What is the percentage of rat tail calves out of that composite.

Caustic Burno":1olpiasl said:
cbcr":1olpiasl said:
cattleman99":1olpiasl said:

What is the percentage of rat tail calves out of that composite.
bet there won't be any if it is Homozygous black...id just soon go black with angus seem like the ""Turned black""continentals loose some of their muscling anyway, in the development...

Latest posts