Black beefmaster/Calf color

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I might be using a black beefmaster (little white on belly) to cover a small group of cows. The cows are smokes and brangus about half and half. Will there be many spotted up calves from this cross?

Bigfoot":2c95ua0z said:
I might be using a black beefmaster (little white on belly) to cover a small group of cows. The cows are smokes and brangus about half and half. Will there be many spotted up calves from this cross?
i would'nt want to bet againts it,, be nice to know a little about his pedigree

Black from soulman YES, spots are possible, Black from a Magic line probably solids, All of my Magic animals have been solid colors with a little white underline, your sire dam will have input also, with so many beefmaster breeders shying away from most black in the breed, there are very few HOMOZYGOUS Black. My homo black bull threw black and polled animals. No spots. If you do get spots they will probably out grow the rest hands down.

ALACOWMAN":30sant5q said:
Bigfoot":30sant5q said:
i would'nt want to bet againts it,, be nice to know a little about his pedigree

No way to establish a bloodline. Just a gut feeling, I am leaning to homozygous black.

you should get mostly if not all black calves from the bull on brangus cows.but alot depends on the color thats in the bulls reg papers.black bull on those smoke cows i cant say what the color of the calves would be.

you will likely get black, dark red, and possibly some gray and gray roans. maybe some black with smokey throats. just depends on the bull and the cows.

Rustler9":32hb9q5v said:
Black is not a natural color for the Beefamster breed. It all started with a Brangus bull that got slipped in. The association allowed it and it stayed.
were did you hear that?? not that i dont disagree on part of that

Actually it was a black simmental but thats neither here nor there. We ran beefmaster bulls over angus cross cows for years and NEVER once did we have any spots on any of the calves. They will make excellent cows-

I don't personally like the "black" but its not different than any of the other 20 breeds that have turned black- Again I say, those that hold their course in the FULLBLOOD business will reap the rewards exponentially!

Rustler9":dpswq0wc said:
Black is not a natural color for the Beefamster breed. It all started with a Brangus bull that got slipped in. The association allowed it and it stayed.

Do you mean like this one? There were 2 main blacks, Soulman and Black Magic. Both were made brought down the breed epd's and performance in my opinion to start with, But as the Soul and Magic got bred out that growth has returned. The first is a Magic son , the second an Xcite son. The second was a far better animal I believe he is a simm cross. he sure made some awesome cows before we had to put him down. still go semen though.
Hoffer_Magic_Futurex_copy.jpg

Or the simmental Look of this one!
Bubba2.jpg

There were some guys who made a lot of money of that black thing, Curious to know what they really were, I had seen the brangus cross and was not impressed

The gentleman sent me a picture of the bull. I wasn't impressed. I would like to see him in person. He may look better than his picture did. I am still interested in a black beefmaster, just probably not this one. On more thurough questioning, I think bull is out of a beefmaster/brangus cross. The search continues. I'd like to find one by May 15th, without driving half way accross the United States.

a neighbor of mine got two FINE looking black beefmaster bulls from north georgia a few months ago.

also beefmasters can be upgraded from an existing herd over three generations so the black can come from anywhere, say a herd of angus.

Latest posts