black baldys

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
i know of some ranchers putting brangus bulls on there tigerstripe cows and getting the baldys with a little ear was wondering what i would git if i crossed a brahman bull over (hereford angus )black baldys

we put a good grey Brahman over a nice group of baldie cows, calves are better than average but their color was not uniform, I believe we had around 20 calves, most all had blaze face,

Fred Kloppenburg":2o26q4n7 said:
......was wondering what i would git if i crossed a brahman bull over (hereford angus )black baldys
I think you can sure count on getting your ass kicked on half of your calves. The further south you are in Texas, the less it will hurt. But you'll still feel it.

Fred Kloppenburg":2av507wj said:
i know of some ranchers putting brangus bulls on there tigerstripe cows and getting the baldys with a little ear was wondering what i would git if i crossed a brahman bull over (hereford angus )black baldys

if you want baldies with a "little" ear why not just use a brangus/hereford combination?

by doing it the way you're talking about, you'd have 1/2 brahman, & imo, that's more than a "little" ear.

txag":3eqmooyq said:
Fred Kloppenburg":3eqmooyq said:

if you want baldies with a "little" ear why not just use a brangus/hereford combination?

by doing it the way you're talking about, you'd have 1/2 brahman, & imo, that's more than a "little" ear.

I agree. Super baldies make a nice cross...

greenwillowherefords":dgxh6qrm said:
txag":dgxh6qrm said:
Fred Kloppenburg":dgxh6qrm said:

I agree. Super baldies make a nice cross...

Yup, Brangus X herfs work good here.

still currious( why not just use brangus and herefords) probably the way to go but but why are the other people doing it different

Fred Kloppenburg":1r48wirs said:
why are the other people doing it different

maybe you should ask them? :?

by using brangus/hereford, you have less than 1/4 brahman.

the problem i have with the ways you mentioned is that you're still getting too much ear. brangus bulls on F1 females gives you 7/16 brahman. and brahman bull on baldy cows gives you 1/2 brahman. the females will do ok, but the steers will take a hit at the barn.

CopeMan":17t2xhvh said:
Wil the brangus/hereford cross steers be alright? Or will they still take a hit?

that would depend on your area and your market.

Latest posts