Black Baldy

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
It is my understanding that a black baldie is a cross between a Hereford and a Angus. Thus producing an amazingly productive cross.

Questions:

1. Does it matter if it is Angus Bull on Hereford Cattle or vice versa?
2. Which in your opinion is better and why?
3. I have heard that crossing a black baldie to a black baldie does not produce as good a calf... Is this true? And Why?

Thank you for your time....

In my opinion you'd be better off with an Angus bull and Hereford cows which is the way I think most go, seems you would have less worries about calving problems this way. I'm sure some of the more experienced breeders can give you more info. Guess this would also offer my opinion on the why aspect too. As far as the baldie to baldie part of it can't really offer an opinion on it as I don't have enough experience yet to offer any logical feedback, but I'm sure there are plenty of members on here that do have and will give you some info.

In response to the question of crossing a baldie with a baldie, you would not want to do this. To have a "baldie" sire it would have to be a simmental or some kind of crossbred bull doing the breeding. using the crossbred bull would probably not be the best bet for growth and performance. As for choosing a which breed to sire your females, it needs to be decided what you are trying to produce--terminal calves sold at weaning or replacement females

i have crossed them back & forth both ways & never seen any difference.
crossing a black baldy with a black baldy produces another black baldy, mottled face or all black. all just as good of calves

In theory when crossing two F1s to create F2s you lose a percentage of the heterosis from the original cross by recombining the genes. I gues that means that more of the gene pairs will be indentical in an F2.

dun

I like the Angus bulls on Hereford cows. Seem to get more masked eyes VS the whole bald face and white around the eyes.

Scotty

I also have Hereford cows and I am running reg. blk brangus bulls. I am getting mostly motley faces calves, I have hardly any pure white faces from this cross. A few carry socks but no manes have come through either.

sidney411":23fgaqy2 said:
I also have Hereford cows and I am running reg. blk brangus bulls. I am getting mostly motley faces calves, I have hardly any pure white faces from this cross. A few carry socks but no manes have come through either.

In my opinion and based on the sale barns I go to , I would say you are doing well with what you are getting. I like those Brangus baldies, they make great mommas. ;-)

Scotty

Latest posts