Black Baldy Program

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn, thanks for all the info. I know an older farmer that swears by the setup you mentioned. He uses all black baldy cows and breeds them to either a balancer or limo bull.

I guess I was bashing a little. I never said there wasnt good ones. I just prefer the red white face so lets leave it at that.

robert":1gcjxp75 said:
there's lots of good research that will tell you exactly what you want to hear, in the absence of good management however all bets are off.....
´

In the absence of good management it is crucial that the cows are crossbred

Ashton - Where are you planning on selling them. BWF are good, but I routinely get more for the solid black hide than I do for the baldies. I sell in either Apache or OKC. I wouldnt turn down a good Baldie cow for anything though and there is definitely something to be said for the increased heterosis.

My personal opinion to your question is I would buy either BWF or Hereford cows, preference being on BWF and put a quality Angus bull on them. Dont let missinformation about Angus bulls on here scare you away. I have six, they are all docile as lambs with no bad attitude whatsoever and they only get worked about three times a year.

You are correct about staying away from noticable ear here. You will get docked at the sale.

3MR":1xf7eo1k said:
You are correct about staying away from noticable ear here. You will get docked at the sale.
That is strange. A neighbor raises Gert and Commercail cows bred to Gert bulls. He hauls the calves to OK to sell and nets more dollars then if he sells them around here or even in Joplin He gets enough more per load down there that it far outweighs the hauling costs.

3MR":3qi23u2c said:
Ashton - Where are you planning on selling them. BWF are good, but I routinely get more for the solid black hide than I do for the baldies. I sell in either Apache or OKC. I wouldnt turn down a good Baldie cow for anything though and there is definitely something to be said for the increased heterosis.

My personal opinion to your question is I would buy either BWF or Hereford cows, preference being on BWF and put a quality Angus bull on them. Dont let missinformation about Angus bulls on here scare you away. I have six, they are all docile as lambs with no bad attitude whatsoever and they only get worked about three times a year.

Where im located probably OKC stockyards or if i only have a few head i may just sell them local.

dun":yaypv9wm said:
3MR":yaypv9wm said:
That is strange. A neighbor raises Gert and Commercail cows bred to Gert bulls. He hauls the calves to OK to sell and nets more dollars then if he sells them around here or even in Joplin He gets enough more per load down there that it far outweighs the hauling costs.

That is strange. Do you know where in oklahoma he sells them at? If you try to sell a calf that has a big ear on it here you dont get much. But i know if you took that same calf and headed south down to texas you would get your money out of it.

Hey Dun - I dont know if that says more about the higher prices in Oklahoma or about the lower prices in Joplin. I wonder how much more money your friend might have gotten in Oklahoma if there was less noticable ear. Where was he selling them?

Ashton - I would still sell them in OKC even if you had just a few. Either that or through private treaty / sale. Im not sure what your closest sale barn is but I definitely wouldnt take them to Jones.

Don't forget the blk Gelbvieh bulls they will sure enuf put some pounds on the ground for you and the heifers out of them will make real good momma cows with great dispositions.

If he lives and gets out of the hospital I'll ask him where he hauls them to.

jscunn's advice is on the mark. But everything is about the averages. Really, there's probably more variation within each breed than between them. I'd say just go with what's cheaper/easier/aesthetic pleasing to your sensibilities.

And to set the record straight on brahman influenced cattle in the south-- replacement F1 heifers (and brangus) receive a premium, but the brahman influenced calves on their way to feedlots will still be docked. However, in the hot/humid climate it's still economical b/c you get more lbs of calf weaned/exposed female than you would with pure European. Better cow fertility, cow longevity, calf survival, calf weaning weight, less healthcare costs, etc.

jack1234":jxtqjxui said:
jscunn's advice is on the mark. But everything is about the averages. Really, there's probably more variation within each breed than between them. I'd say just go with what's cheaper/easier/aesthetic pleasing to your sensibilities.

And to set the record straight on brahman influenced cattle in the south-- replacement F1 heifers (and brangus) receive a premium, but the brahman influenced calves on their way to feedlots will still be docked. However, in the hot/humid climate it's still economical b/c you get more lbs of calf weaned/exposed female than you would with pure European. Better cow fertility, cow longevity, calf survival, calf weaning weight, less healthcare costs, etc.

That is true. If you have a brangus calf that looks pure angus and doesn't have any ear on it you really come away nicely because of all the extra weight. But some brangus calves have a lot of ear and some don't.

Ashton V":3n7sprrf said:
jack1234":3n7sprrf said:

That is true. If you have a brangus calf that looks pure angus and doesn't have any ear on it you really come away nicely because of all the extra weight. But some brangus calves have a lot of ear and some don't.
see thats where the problem is, you being in OK. theres really no reason to have ""much"" brahman influence.. unless it a personal preferance and if so then a person should not be offended by a dock... if my market wants angus, by cracky their gonna get angus :cowboy:

How about throw the angus out.
Go with a set of herford cows and a homo black gelbvieh bull
or a set of black gelbvieh cows and a hereford bull.

Either way your gonna get the black baldies you want, you wont have attitude problems with the gelbvieh and I can promise you more growth with either scenario vs the angus cross, not to mention the replacements heifers would be as good as you can ask for.

cleland":2i2yp3fi said:
How about throw the angus out.
Go with a set of herford cows and a homo black gelbvieh bull
or a set of black gelbvieh cows and a hereford bull.

Either way your gonna get the black baldies you want, you wont have attitude problems with the gelbvieh and I can promise you more growth with either scenario vs the angus cross, not to mention the replacements heifers would be as good as you can ask for.

I agree!