Black Baldy Program

Help Support CattleToday:

Ashton V

Reaction score
Hello. Let me start off by saying that I am new to this forum and to cattle and I hope I can get some great info from you all. Where Im from, the black baldy is just about as good as it gets as far as the sale barn goes. My question is which setup for producing a black baldy calf crop is more productive. A herd of Hereford cows with a Black Angus bull, or a herd of Black Angus cows with a Hereford bull? Which is more productive and what are the pros and cons of each?

You can do a search. This has been discussed here before. I personally like the hereford cows with black bull.

1. You can usaully buy the cow cheaper because it isnt (black)
2. I feel the hereford cows are easier to work with
3. You only have to deal with 1 moron at workup time instead of the whole herd.

JHH":2c33niqn said:
You can do a search. This has been discussed here before. I personally like the hereford cows with black bull.

That's comical, all of my black angus come running like a bunch of puppy dogs when you call them, how hard is that? :???:

JHH":25pi2f5v said:

Biggest discount is on horned Hereford cows.
Only problem then is finding a muscled black bull w/o an attitude...

Don't know where you are located (put state in avatar space so people will know). I think reseach shows herefords to have an edge in fertility. I don't remember if this is for straightbreds, but I think crossbreds.
I would think this to be more important if you are in the south.

JHH said:

3. You only have to deal with 1 moron at workup time instead of the whole herd.[/quote]
I guess that would be the moron that owns the herf cows correct

Stocker Steve":37hi3djp said:
JHH":37hi3djp said:

Biggest discount is on horned Hereford cows.
Only problem then is finding a muscled black bull w/o an attitude...
maybe ya just need to look a little better
I have several bulls that weigh well over a ton at 4 yrs old and not an attitude problem at all

Ashton,
Here is my opinion on the question, I have some experience since we do it both ways (Hereford cows x Angus bull and Angus cows x Hereford bull).

Hereford Cows x Angus Bull
Pros
1. Hereford cows will be cheaper,
2. Easier to deal with if you tag at birth
3 Better selection of Angus Bulls

Cons
1 Pinkeye / cancer eye.
2. calves will be probably be lighter at weaning
3. udders on Hereford cows not as good usually

Angus Cows x Hereford Bull
Pros
1. stouter calves at weaning
2. quality cows are easier to find
3. no cancer eye and less pinkeye problems
4. better udders on the black cows (generally)

cons
1. more protective mothers at birth (can be a problem if you tag and weigh calves at birth)
2. good hereford bulls are hard to find, cheaply

Personal opinion, you should buy some Baldie females and cross them with a terminal Angus bull, feed the calves out and really ring the bell on the carcass end of the deal. The true advantage of the baldie is the female, the steer calves gain pretty well but the 3/4 Angus hangs a better carcass and at the end of the day isnt that what we are producing..

www.pineridgeblackbaldie.com

Ryder":1t1f097p said:
Don't know where you are located (put state in avatar space so people will know).

JHH":1t1f097p said:

Since you left all of us wondering where you are I'll recommend using Brangus cows and a Hereford bull. A little Brhama blood does a lot down here. JHH is probably right about Herefords being cheaper in MO...but in Central Texas they would cost you an extra 200-300 dollars. They are highly prized in making the F1 Tigerstripes and carry a premium over the Brangus or Angus if you must have Angus.

Angus Cowman":1xa4pnw5 said:
JHH":1xa4pnw5 said:

3. You only have to deal with 1 moron at workup time instead of the whole herd.[/quote]

Yea kind of, its the moron that owns that black bull. :lol:

RD-Sam":8m6fkbq3 said:
JHH":8m6fkbq3 said:

That's comical, all of my black angus come running like a bunch of puppy dogs when you call them, how hard is that? :???:

Not all herds are run the same. I have a very good friend of mine that has commercial angus cows and they are a good bunch to work with. We both spend some time on foot walking around the cows and being around them. Makes a big difference.

1982vett":6siln489 said:
JHH is probably right about Herefords being cheaper in MO..
Depends on the part of MO. The closer you get to kansas the higher the price. In this area they run less then half of the same quailty of anything else, but if it has ear they're even cheaper then Herefords.

There is lots of research that shows that a good F1 crossbred cow is much more profitable than the purebreds that make up her genetic background, due to increased fertility, calf vigor, etc. Balancer and SimAngus cows work very well in most areas of the US. If you start out with homozygous black Balancer and/or SimAngus females and breed them to a good Hereford bull you will end up with a calf crop that has more growth and muscle than the traditional HerefordXAngus baldy calf.

You may also want to consider running HerefordXAngus cows and breeding them to homozygous black, baldy Simmental bulls. Once again you will still get a black baldy calf, but wean heavier, thicker calves.

there's lots of good research that will tell you exactly what you want to hear, in the absence of good management however all bets are off.....

we use a hereford bull over straight angus cows to make f1's for sale, don't keep any as there is plenty demand for the baldie calves and I want to keep the herd straight black angus. Main pro's as jscunn noted are the better udders/more milk/higher weaned weight of the calves, our hereford bull is an Allendale Robinhood son out of a full sister to Tundra. We use him to clean up after putting in reg. angus embryos too, take the guesswork out of that deal :D

Thanks Robert, at least someone noticed what I wrote... :D

BTW Good luck next month, I hope you win, then I know who to complain about the AAA to.

thank you for the good wishes, don't think the dirty politics have started yet......have they? :lol:

Wow I love how everyone goes to their corner and cant be honest to save their life...
It is an election year after all. :clap:

I try an run good cows, now I like em red. But a good cow is a good cow.
This talk can be ended with one simple word. CULL.

Any bull that has a tude. cull
any cow that will not bring in a 600+ calf at weaning Cull
Bad udder? Cull
Cancer? Cull
Which is cheaper? Well good ones always cost money.. if its to cheap? someone is culling. :cowboy: An it aint you.

If you do that start black red or hereford... you will end up with a good herd of baldy's
Dont? Well it doesnt matter if you start out with black or red or well you get the idea.
The herd will suck. Period.

An I always only have one idiot at work up time. ME.
But I own the place an I aint getting culled.

redfornow":3asf2kgf said:
Wow I love how everyone goes to their corner and cant be honest to save their life...
It is an election year after all. :clap:

I try an run good cows, now I like em red. But a good cow is a good cow.
This talk can be ended with one simple word. CULL.

Any bull that has a tude. cull
any cow that will not bring in a 600+ calf at weaning Cull
Bad udder? Cull
Cancer? Cull
Which is cheaper? Well good ones always cost money.. if its to cheap? someone is culling. :cowboy: An it aint you.

If you do that start black red or hereford... you will end up with a good herd of baldy's
Dont? Well it doesnt matter if you start out with black or red or well you get the idea.
The herd will suck. Period.

An I always only have one idiot at work up time. ME.
But I own the place an I aint getting culled.
to bad :cowboy:

JHH":2p3yh7li said:
Angus Cowman":2p3yh7li said:
JHH":2p3yh7li said:

Yea kind of, its the moron that owns that black bull. :lol:

It's pretty obvious to me that the angus bashers have been buying from the wrong places, there are plenty of good breeders out there that have very docile cattle. The breed wouldn't be #1 and growing if there weren't. Registrations are up 5% this year, bull sales up 5%, and CAB is up 17%.

1982vett":x0ndafhu said:
Ryder":x0ndafhu said:
Don't know where you are located (put state in avatar space so people will know).

JHH":x0ndafhu said:

Since you left all of us wondering where you are I'll recommend using Brangus cows and a Hereford bull. A little Brhama blood does a lot down here. JHH is probably right about Herefords being cheaper in MO...but in Central Texas they would cost you an extra 200-300 dollars. They are highly prized in making the F1 Tigerstripes and carry a premium over the Brangus or Angus if you must have Angus.

I am from oklahoma. And although some ear and brahman blood does good down south, you get docked at the sale barn if they have ear in them. Its good down south because of the brahmans thick skin and disease and parasite resistance, but here you cant do as good with em.

Latest posts