Black Baldy Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamabeef

Reaction score
I Hereford & Simmental cows and I want to use a Black Simmental Bull. Any suggestions on what type to use so I will get black baldy calves?

I dont qite understand. You already have SimmXHerf cows and you want to use a Simm bull on them right. That should give you a black baldy calf.

I have Hereford cows and Simmental cows, not X. It is my understanding that not all black Simmental bulls will produce black calves when used on spotted cows.

Along these same lines...are only hereford/angus bred cows considered baldies? And does a calf/cow have to have a white face to be considered a baldy? What about a white belly or white on the neck?

Bamabeef":1498c3si said:
I have Hereford cows and Simmental cows, not X. It is my understanding that not all black Simmental bulls will produce black calves when used on spotted cows.
Had a half/Sim half/BM cow this year have a black blazefaced calf out of what was supposed to be a homo black Sim bull. Anyway, the calf was obviously marked like his mama, except black. Don't know if this helps.......

The Meyers 7334 Bull , which is a Simm bull, will throw black white face calves. His females are awsome.

Bamabeef":23ngbqel said:

some of the calves out of the spotted sim cows may be grey instead of black. they may also be spotted instead of solid......so basically, they may be spotted grey/white.

if the bull is heterozygous black, only half of the calves would be black (or grey) & the other half would be red (or yellow).

if he's homozygous black, the hereford cows should all have black calves with white (or mottled) faces.

This may be a regional thing, but the name Black Baldy refers to a Hereford Angus X. Now that just about every breed is going black, anything black with a white faced is referred to as Black Baldy.

Texan":jo6xuy38 said:
Had a half/Sim half/BM cow this year have a black blazefaced calf out of what was supposed to be a homo black Sim bull. Anyway, the calf was obviously marked like his mama, except black.

Hey Texan, if you don't mind my askin', what was the bull that you used in the above mentioned post?

Even with a homozygous black Simmental bull, if you use him on the older type "yellow" or blond Simmentals, you will get some greys or duns.

With a black Simmental bull on Herefords, I don't know what the percentage of white faced calves would be, but I don't think they would all necessarily have white faces.

TheBullLady":1grsxx7y said:
With a black Simmental bull on Herefords, I don't know what the percentage of white faced calves would be, but I don't think they would all necessarily have white faces.

Based on experience, a black simmy bull will leave the white on the face of the calves most of the time. Now don't hold me to that. I have had perfectly marked herefords out of a Meyer 734 son and a hereford cow. The the next yaer I get a baldy or a brockle. Half the fun of my cross bred herd is guessing what markings and color I will get this year!!

certherfbeef":2ixvjo9e said:
Hey Texan, if you don't mind my askin', what was the bull that you used in the above mentioned post?
I don't mind you asking, Cert. I'm kinda embarrassed, though. I'm not much good on naming bull names and numbers and stuff like most of you guys. But in this case I can. It was Neighbor's 1. Neighbor's 2 and Neighbor's 3 were both Chars.

I always thought the term Black Baldy applied to Hereford/Black Angus.
IMHO.......Is,nt it funny that so many want to be Black. :)

frenchie":3u6qvp31 said:
I always thought the term Black Baldy applied to Hereford/Black Angus.
IMHO.......Is,nt it funny that so many want to be Black. :)

That was alwasy the traditional one. Now if it's black and a baldy, it's a black baldy

dun

frenchie":3oalpmr4 said:
Dun.........It just seems to me a lot of breeds want to hang on to Black Angus, Shirttail.
with all the wanna-bees out there maybe theywill have to be described as angusXhereford
Just because it's black doesn't mean it's angus.

frenchie":259fbwhb said:
Dun.........It just seems to me a lot of breeds want to hang on to Black Angus, Shirttail.

It all has to do with the Certified Angus Beef title. Any breed with black hide, hair and black eyes is able to be classified as Certified Angus Beef.
So just because it's marked CAB, doesn't mean that it is actually Angus.

Old Tex

You are so right. don,t get me wrong there are other good breeds of black cattle ,besides Angus. :D

But when I go to buy Black baldy heifers.I want them to be what I expect Angus/hereford.

j

Latest posts