Black Baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

NORTH FLORIDA

Reaction score
Is this a angusxhereford? Which is better angus bull or hereford for x? Do they sell high at the barns?Will brangusxhereford do as well? I would like to buy a few young heifers to keep, would they be a good choice?

Yes a "Real" Black Baldie is a Hereford x Angus and that is a very good commercial cow and black baldie calves do very well in most sale barns. Hereford x Brangus is called a "Super Baldie" by the Brangus people and is also a good cross. It is essentially a baldie with 3/16s of Brahman blood giving them a little bit more heat tolerance and insect resistance. They would be (maybe) a little bit better suited for your Florida environment.

The what breed to use on baldies is a loaded question and really you need to determine what it is you want to do with the calves. There is an advantage in a simple two breed cross breeding system in that it is simple. You can come back with Hereford or Angus on those baldies and get 3/4 heifers and come back on the heifers with the other, and so forth and so on. You have some heterosis and following two breeds is easy. For maximum production (once your cows all had their first calves) you could breed those baldies to a Charolais bull and get big growthy calves who SHOULD weigh more across the scale. Simmental or black Gelbvieh is also good in a 3 way cross. You have to be pretty disciplined and know what you want to do 2,3,4,5++ generations out with crossbreeding or you can "mongrelize" your herd where there are 5 or 6 different cross cows out in the same pasture and little consistency in the calves.

That was a great post brandonm2. I agree completely. I would like to add that I prefer to use angus cows and a hereford bull in your situation. I think angus cows in my experience are a little more efficient and are more maternal and definelty calve easier. We have both hereford, angus, and HxA cows and that's my opinion.

NORTH FLORIDA":3v8as3lo said:
would a angusXsimmental heifer with a hereford bull produce a heavy black baldie?

Technically a breeds purist would not want to call it a "black baldie" but since that is just a descriptive term for a commercial cross, yes that would also be a "Black baldie" and probably a pretty good one. On that point, I wonder if anybody out there is consciously creating black baldies by using the Hereford appearing Simmentals in vogue in the 80s with the new Black Angus appearing Simmentals in vogue NOW???

Yes,

At my dad's place we have six baldy heifers that are obvious simmental angus mixes. They are almost all black, and have a white blaze (to use horse lingo) on their face. They actually look pretty nice, I'm gonna try to convince him that they need to come to my house after his bull breeds them.

I've even seen ads for companys that sell simangus'. I think there is one in Arkansas, if I'm remembering correctly.

Brandonm2":2yd911zy said:
Hereford appearing Simmentals in vogue in the 80s with the new Black Angus appearing Simmentals in vogue NOW???

I have some heifers out of fleck cows and Meyer 734 influenced sires. They are a bit finer boned than the fleck. Large framed, sloppy fronted but not as bad as the flecks and absolute milk wagons.
Colors seem to vary from hereford looking to fleck orange to black blazed faced like Meyer.

I really like the calves. They get here about 85-90 lbs wean heavy and they are stout and carry lots of capacity.
Origional plan was to raise a group of them for recips. So far not a one has raised an embryo. I like the natural calves so much I havn't got the flushing done yet.

My opinion...herf x ang baldies are THE BEST cattle that walks..superior maternal...superior carcass...qg carcass that is. but if your deal needs cutability cattle throw a cont bull on top of those black baldie or brockel face cows and have a chance at a chocie carcass with 2 or less yg. How can you beat a deal like that?? You just cant...thats how!!!!!!!