Black Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

TERM101

Reaction score
Found 7 head of registered black angus bulls. The man said they weighed around 700-800 pounds. Wants $750 a head.

Are they worth buying and making them fatter in a few months to take to the sale?

-Thanks
~TERM~

That's about $1.00 lb. Are you talking about fattening them up for a regular stockyard sale. I wouldn't invest that much money on scale buls. If they have the potential for herd bulls then you may be OK.
Would you have the reputation and contacts to sell them for herd bulls If not I would leave them alone.

how old are they? if they are 2 yr. olds , :shock: they might not make herdsires 8)

WORANCH":1s4dlp55 said:
how old are they? if they are 2 yr. olds , :shock: they might not make herdsires 8)
If they are 2 yr. olds they should go over the scales right now.

Sorry, the man said they were around 12 months old. I would be taking them to my lower pasture with unlimited grass and hay along with feed pellets. They weigh in at 700-800 lbs. He wants around $750 a head. Would it be worth bringing them to my pasture, keeping them till they get a bit bigger, then selling them at the stock sale? I'm just now starting to get back into the cattle market...So I dunno much of the prices and such these days.

-Thanks
~TERM~

I would stay away if it were me. Yearling bulls should be heavier that that. Even iff you put 300-400 pounds on them the price for bulls really drops off quick. Sounds to me like you might get bit on this deal.

Sorry for the misinformation. The man said that his son told me wrong, they are 7-8 months old and weight 700-800 lbs.
Thanks for the help and responses everyone!

-Thanks
~TERM~

TERM101":3cfulpip said:
Sorry for the misinformation. The man said that his son told me wrong, they are 7-8 months old and weight 700-800 lbs.

-Thanks
~TERM~

At that weight and age, cut them and put some weight on them. You should come out ok. The problem comes into the dock if you leave them as bulls or the cutting stress causing them to not gain as well at first. If you use one of the big bull banders that would eliminate both problems. If you can get someone that has one already you'll be ok. If you had to buy one your back into the dock/stress mode.

dun

TERM101":10imu2us said:

-Thanks
~TERM~

You said they were registered? Get the regestration numbers and post them here so some of the Angus gooroo's can tell you what they might be worth next spring...then you decide.
If they are 7-8 months & 700-800# there might be money to be made...or not.

Hillbilly

Okay, thanks.. Ill get the numbers and talk to the man in person this weekend. His son was young and was porbably telling me only what he has heard his father say. But, ill talk to the man and see what I can come up with. :)

-Thanks
~TERM~

Maynot be such a bad deal if te new info is correct. Its hard to tell what something may be worth without seeing them.

around here i couldnt come out on them if my intentions were to resale them at the sale barn as steers. the only way i could come out would be to sell them as bulls next year. and that depends on the quality.

jt

If you are only going to keep them for a few months, then whats the average you will make off them, about $200 a hd if all goes right? Couldnt he take the $5k and go a different direction, and maybe come out a little better? Maybe buy a few pairs and then sell th calves? Unless he just doesnt want to mess with having cows all winter.

If you paid $1200/ea for 4 pairs, then sold calves in 2-3 mos, would'nt it be better from a financial standpoint?

Latest posts