Black Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

rookiefarmer

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a black angus (not registered). He is 3 yrs old, very good disposition ( will eat treats out of your hand). she describes him as a " big but not huge" She wants to sell him and it sounds like this would be a good begginer bull. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the price for this bull. She has no idea what she wants for it and I have noidea what to offer.

Put him on a scale and pay by the market price per pound nothing more.

CSM

rookiefarmer":2zqw6r05 said:
I have a friend who has a black angus (not registered). He is 3 yrs old, very good disposition ( will eat treats out of your hand). she describes him as a " big but not huge" She wants to sell him and it sounds like this would be a good begginer bull. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the price for this bull. She has no idea what she wants for it and I have noidea what to offer.

If he's not registered, no EPDs, no performance information, I'd agree with CSM. Pay market price per pound. If you know about his health, vaccinations, etc, he might be worth a bit more. Be careful. Just because he eats cubes out of your hand, doesn't mean he won't knock you down and walk on you when cows start cycling. Personally, I prefer a bull that takes a step or two back when I get within his "personal" space.

Although a good disposition is important you need to know what he looks like. He's not pure so what other breed(s) does he have in him? What do his calves look like? Make sure you want him and that he will improve your herd before you decide to buy him.

I agree about having a Bull that keeps a little distance. I like to be able to walk all around them but I don't need them eating out of my hand. You'll be in a tight spot one time and that bull will come up and want to eat out of your hand... :shock:

I buy full-blooded Brangus Bulls that are not registered but have papers?

a begginer bull should be one that moves you from start to a foward direction. there are alot of registered that can even move you back . but why take a chance on it. spend the extra money on a good pedigreed bull. not just one to put calve's on the ground.

ALACOWMAN":3qqlbneq said:
a begginer bull should be one that moves you from start to a foward direction. there are alot of registered that can even move you back . but why take a chance on it. spend the extra money on a good pedigreed bull. not just one to put calve's on the ground.

I agree. If you are a biginner sart off with a good foundation. That bull will be 50% of everything that hits the ground. The least you should do is start off half right.

Rookie,

Why don't you post a picture or three of said bull and let all take a
look at what you have the opportunity to purchase.

In regards to the lady that owns the bull, why not see if she has some records on him. If he's three years old is there any calves sired by him on her property?? I suspect he didn't just show up one day on her place, did she buy him or is he a raised calf ??

Again, what's the story behind where he came from?? Chase the loose ends until you find a knot, surely someone knows more about his background.

Jack

I agree with everyone on this one, you breed this bull with commercial cows and you will be downscaling your calves more so than you would with a registered bull with superior genetics. I learned this lesson myself when I kept a bull out of my registered angus cause he looked so darn good, but his calves never matched up to his dads!

Without seeing the bull or knowing his background it's all guesswork. Still he's only worth market kill price.

VanC":2ltc48ua said:
Victoria":2ltc48ua said:
He's not pure so what other breed(s) does he have in him?

How do you know he's not pure?

I agree with those who said pay market price.

Good point VanC - I don't. I assumed but I have to say that if someone told me that an animal was pure but had no papers to prove it I would be a little leery unless they had owned and bred a few generations back on either side.

rookiefarmer":1jtfytum said:

Any three year old bull that eats treats out of my hand is on the way to the slaughter house.

I think there are two "bull kills farmer" threads running right now.

No such thing as a beginner bull.

Anyone that thinks this way should not own one.

Bez>

Bez>":2nxotykb said:
rookiefarmer":2nxotykb said:

Any three year old
  • bull that eats treats out of my hand is on
the way to the slaughter house.

I think there are two "bull kills farmer" threads running right now.

No such thing as a beginner bull.

Anyone that thinks this way should not own one.

Bez>
hey bez your right on about that . one minute your treat'in him. the next he's treat'in you..... like a ragdoll

Some people will just say "don't bother with the papers." We go ahead and transfer ownership and mail the new papers to the owner, but some of them just aren't interested. We do know one guy, though, that has changed his attitude over the years and now wants the papers on a bull he buys. Programs like AngusSource and other breed programs where calves are tagged and eligible to be sold in special sales as half blood calves are going to make a difference in people's attitude on registration papers, IMO.

Latest posts