Black Angus size and weights....

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam

Reaction score
I was wondering what the black angus breeders would consider their ideal birth weight, weaning weight, year weight, mature weight, and frame size for both bull and cow? :) With efficiency in mind too.

I bet your going to get a wide variety of answers.

Anything over 600 lbs for weaning, perferably in the upper 6's though 7. As far as yearling goes. That all depends on how you grow them out. If I were to get one ready for sale at a year of age, I would want him to be around 1200 to 1300 lbs. I want our frame to be around 5.5 to 6

BRG":2frimph6 said:
Anything over 600 lbs for weaning, perferably in the upper 6's though 7. As far as yearling goes. That all depends on how you grow them out. If I were to get one ready for sale at a year of age, I would want him to be around 1200 to 1300 lbs. I want our frame to be around 5.5 to 6

When the feed prices were so high, did you actually make any more more feeding them vs. non-fed? Or did you even loose money?

BRG":1256uo9z said:
As far as yearling goes. That all depends on how you grow them out.

weaning weight is exactly the same way. it's all about how artificial you want to make your environment and how much you are going to waste on milk.

RD-Sam":an5jgwmf said:
BRG":an5jgwmf said:

When the feed prices were so high, did you actually make any more more feeding them vs. non-fed? Or did you even loose money?

If you want to get them sold, you have to have them looking good. When the feed prices were at its peak, we had the best sale we ever had selling 60 bulls and averaged just under $3600.

Aero":1muxub8q said:
BRG":1muxub8q said:
As far as yearling goes. That all depends on how you grow them out.

weaning weight is exactly the same way. it's all about how artificial you want to make your environment and how much you are going to waste on milk.

You are correct, but what I was getting at is how we do it in our program. The bulls we keep to sell as yearlings are weaned and then put into the lot, where the bulls we sell that are coming 2's are wintered on hay and a little supplement and then turned on grass. At a year of age they are alot lighter than the bulls we sell as yearlings.

OK, so you weren't selling feeders. How about your heifers?

Sorry about that, I was thinking he was asking about bulls.

Our heifers are fed light over the winter. They are weighing in the 8's at the same age. The only gain around 1.5 lbs/day. The main thing is to not get them fleshy when the hit grass, and so they are cycling.

BRG":mu1l0wvc said:

Our heifers are fed light over the winter. They are weighing in the 8's at the same age. The only gain around 1.5 lbs/day. The main thing is to not get them fleshy when the hit grass, and so they are cycling.

What about weaning weight on the heifers, and are they on creep feed?

the avg weaning wght on my fall born steers was 540 at an avg age of195 days
avg weaning on my hfrs was 518 same age group no feed butstock piled fescue, hay, protein tubs and what momma had to offer

with fall calver you lose about 30-50 lbs on weaning weight but after weaning you make it up

yearling weight will be in the 800s after they have been on 5lbs of grain for45-60 days after weaning and then turned out on grass with just protein tubs low 8s for the heifers and high 8s for the steers

to answer your ? about feed cost when feed was $240 per ton feeding each calve cost $.60 per day, gain was in the 2.25 range and the calves were bring $1.22 per lb all I had to do was increase gains 1/2 lb per day to break even
this yr I am paying $160pr ton for feed and the calves are bring around $1.10pr lb

RD-Sam":1kv5u9yh said:
BRG":1kv5u9yh said:

What about weaning weight on the heifers, and are they on creep feed?

No we haven't crep fed anything for years, but we will be creeping the spring calvers this year. The reason being is our bull sale is the first Tuesday in February and the bulls are mostly March/April calves. So instead of pushing them harder than we like after they are weaned to get them big enough to sell at 10 months of age, we thought it might be better for the animal if they gained an extra 1/2 pound or so a day while they are on grass, plus they should go right to feed at weaing time. Hopefully they will be weighing around 1050 by sale day. (on a conservative weight and weight gain figure - average wean weight of 650 lbs, gain 2.75 lbs a day for 143 days in the lot = 393 lbs + 650 = 1043 lbs sale day) They will most likely be a little heavier than this though.

The weaning weights on the heifers is usually a bit under the bulls. Somewhere in the 550 to 650 lbs range will catch all of them. This is adjusted to 205 days of age, as we ussually wean around (September 10) 175 days of age.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1cjsrak9 said:
blackcowz":1cjsrak9 said:
65-75 LB BW

500-600 LB WW

850-950 LB WW

Cows, about 1150-1200 LB mature at 3-4 frame. Bulls, 1800-2000 pounds at 3-4 frame.
you must have some very stout little buggers - frame 3 is pretty low to the ground. :)

I have an estimated frame 3-4 cow that we weighed at 1300. She is thick and stout as you could want one, though. I really ought to get a frame stick and measure her up to check for sure. She might be taller, but I doubt it.

That's like our flush cow - about a 5 frame, weighing about 1650# - 9 years old.

Powerstroke_Cow_clean_JR_pix.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1dqg8w2j said:
That's like our flush cow - about a 5 frame, weighing about 1650# - 9 years old.

Powerstroke_Cow_clean_JR_pix.jpg

Very Nice!!! :clap: She's similar in her looks and traits to my cow. I ought to post up a recent picture of her as well. Real nice cow, though.

Thanks. She's bred now for a spring calf. Hopefully, we'll be flushing her again next year. She "proved' herself before we flushed. Sold a great 2-year old c/c pair, and we have two daughters in the herd. A grand-daughter is in the barn right now getting halter broke.

RD-Sam":3h45zyln said:
I was wondering what the black angus breeders would consider their ideal birth weight, weaning weight, year weight, mature weight, and frame size for both bull and cow? :) With efficiency in mind too.

BW- I like between 70-85 with most mine running around the 80 lb weight..

WW- for years my average has been 600-630 for steers and 560-590 for heifers depending on grass conditions...

YW- 1000 for bulls, 750 for heifers-- forage conditioned with little or no grain...

MW- 1800- 2000 for bulls-- 1100-1250 for cows

Frame score- between 4 and 5...My bulls are between 4 and 5 also...

Latest posts