black angus simmental cross bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Super Baldie

Reaction score
Has any one used a Angus simmental cross bull? what were your results? I have heard of tremendous growth potential with low birth weights. I'd be crossing him on 1/2 gert 1/2 herford and beefmaster cows.

Having your cake and eating too. Not likely! Heterosis does not start at birth!!

I am not saying a Sim Angus bull would not work well for you, I am saying both ends of the spectrum in a random cross, not likely. If it were I would be in the business of crossing Waygu (sp?) cows and Charolais bulls so I could get 100% Prime YG1 steers.

My suggestion to you is find what sells well in your area (Black, White, red, etc) then buy the best quality bull of that breed you can afford.

Super Baldie":4ujg1p9r said:
Has any one used a Angus simmental cross bull? what were your results? I have heard of tremendous growth potential with low birth weights. I'd be crossing him on 1/2 gert 1/2 herford and beefmaster cows.
you don't want to keep stack'in other breeds on top of your crossbred cow's.you got what sounds like a good base to start off. don't mess it up.

We had a couple back in the early 90's. One looked and bred like a RA, used him exclusively on heifers. Didn't have enough hair for commercial market up here. The other one looked and bred like a Simmy, more birth, frame and ..................why buy a crossbred bull?

I would think the best way to use a Sim/Angus bull would be to breed him back to a PB Angus or Sim, if you use to many diff mixes you can wind up with a load of MUTTS

The Sim/Angus bull cross is a big item in this area in the last few years.

and that my opinion for what its worth :lol: :lol:

C HOLLAND":3s5wk5jm said:
I would think the best way to use a Sim/Angus bull would be to breed him back to a PB Angus or Sim, if you use to many diff mixes you can wind up with a load of MUTTS

• The Sim/Angus bull cross is a big item in this area in the last few years.
and that my opinion for what its worth :lol: :lol:
ive heard that as well.

The last bull I had was a black Simm-Angus. There was alot of inconsistency in weaning weights, frame and color. Here's a bit of a sampling of how consistent his calves were. The bull I have now is a purebred Black Angus and although I still get the odd calf with that grey diluter gene, for the most part, they are all pure black. I think from now on, I'll just stick to purebred bulls.

Mar1005003.jpg

Cattle Rack Rancher":1kac7gdo said:
The last bull I had was a black Simm-Angus. There was alot of inconsistency in weaning weights, frame and color. Here's a bit of a sampling of how consistent his calves were. The bull I have now is a purebred Black Angus and although I still get the odd calf with that grey diluter gene, for the most part, they are all pure black. I think from now on, I'll just stick to purebred bulls.

Mar1005003.jpg
the bull was'nt homozygous then

ALACOWMAN":2xqdbz6h said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":2xqdbz6h said:

Mar1005003.jpg
the bull was'nt homozygous then

Nope, his mama was one of those classic old red and white Simmentals, but I didn't find that out until I had my first batch of multi-colored calves and by then it was a little late being that I'd paid a good bit of money for him. He was a nice looking animal, though, and the guy that sold me the bull had all sorts of good things to say about him when I bought him. He also didn't tell me that he was part kangaroo and after putting up with him getting out of the fence towards the end of the breeding season two years in a row, he went for a ride.

One of our bulls is a simangus, and we really like him. Calm disposition, looks like he's on 'roids, has some really good epd's, and so far we have been very pleased with his calves. I wouldn't be hesistant at all to get one. I know we haven't been disappointed.
Actually if you have a very mixed up cow herd, then putting a crossbred bull such as a simangus will give you a more uniform calf crop than running a straight bred bull with them.

Weaver":22047xvl said:
Actually if you have a very mixed up cow herd, then putting a crossbred bull such as a simangus will give you a more uniform calf crop than running a straight bred bull with them.

How do you figure that?

Let's just say for ease of explaining that you have 100 cows in your herd, and of these 100 cows, 50 of them are predominately a british breed (we'll say angus), and the other half continental (we'll say charolais). If you run a british bull, such as angus, on your cows, then the calves out of the charolais based cows should be great with a great deal of heterosis, but the calves out of the angus based cows most likely will lag behind in growth and feed efficiency. On the other hand if you put a crossbred bull in there such as a simangus, then none of the calves out of either set of cows will have more than 3/4 continental or 3/4 british blood. In my original comment, I said running a crossbred bull will give you a more uniform calf crop. You may get some better calves by running a full blooded bull, but the uniformity won't be there.

Latest posts